2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went through a car wash today, and while the car was in Neutral, the DID showed a message:
"Step on brake and push button to put in gear" (to that effect)

As I was exiting, since stepping on the brake is bad idea with a car right behind, I just pressed the button on the shifter and put the car in Drive. I'm pretty sure it went in gear, but I also had another message on the DID.
Not sure exactly what it said, but I quickly went back to N, hit the brake quickly and back to D.

Is this all unnecessary?
Most cars allow you to go into Drive from Neutral without pressing the brake.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
This has been discussed before with the pre-2019s. Some had this issue; others did not. Since day one, with my 2016, I just move it from N to D with no messages. Maybe something changed for 2019.

·
Registered
511 Posts
My 2016 TH shifts fine from N to D, My wife's 2018 Compass I have to press brake to get to drive. It only takes a second and the car behind in car wash shouldn't be that close to be a problem.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
..... shouldn't be that close to be a problem.

LOL They pack 'em tight at my carwash!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Same with my '19. I have to press the brake or it doesn't always go back into drive. I found this out same as you... exiting a car-wash. First car I've ever had that required it.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just realized... a couple of weeks ago, I was taking my Genesis through the car wash.
There was a lady in front of me with a Honda Pilot. The first problem was she appeared to put the car in Park, and then Reverse instead of Neutral as she was starting her wash. I honked to get the attendant's attention. He stopped the conveyor, got her to understand what to do, and then she went into the wash.

I followed her, but kept some distance since I saw what she did. As she exited, she stopped at the end of the wash. My car was on the conveyor moving toward her. I noticed her brake lights and thought... WTH???

I now realize that Honda uses a ZF 9 speed variant that is similar to the KL's. Perhaps she had the same issue at the end of the wash.
(That doesn't explain the goofy behavior at the beginning of the wash!)

I'm not sure what the point of not allowing N to D directly, but it's sure to add some excitement to the car wash!

Reactions: 1coopgt61

·
Administrator
7,588 Posts
I have found moving the shifter to N from D I have about 15 seconds before I get the 'press brake to shift' message. I think it is a safety built in to make sure you don't accidentally shift out of neutral after sitting awhile. Don't find it a big deal personally, it only takes a split second to press the brake and shift....

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
Yeah, it's super annoying for those of us that use car washes. Plus, you look like a total noob putting your brakes on to shift from N to D.

Could actually create just as many problems as it "solves"

FWIW - I managed to use my manual Caliber for 11+ years with no problems and no electronic nannies "watching out" for me!

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
My 2012 Durango R/T and my 2015 R/T ScatPack Challenger each needed the brake to be pressed to go from neutral into drive. This common on FCA vehicles.

Reactions: XJ99

·
Registered
50 Posts
I’ve got a 19 Overland and I’ve never noticed an issue. I just tap on the break as I shift it to D and it goes easily every time. Don’t really have to “press” the brake, just tap it as I shift.

Reactions: idonbro

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
This may be the same problem I have had with my 2017 TH and wondered what caused it. Just last week I was at a red light and I put it in N to put a pair of sun glasses over my prescription glasses. And then when the light changed I put it in D and it was like I was in N and no go. It said to go to Park and then put it back in D. In the mean time there were cars behind me and I am glad I could not hear what they were saying. I got it going and made a run for the green light and it was turning yellow but I took it and made it. I have had this happen at least 4 times when I was in line through a fast food (slow food actually) and had put it in N and then I got the put it in Park and brake it and then into gear. This is dangerous if you do like I did waiting on that light last week. Actually had this happen one time as I pulled onto a busy road--not sure if I had it in N before it happened there. I do go through a car wash with this vehicle but they have some one in there to drive it out of the car wash and I am not in there--guess it has been no problem as it has not been rammed because it would drive out of there. All these times in N were probably much shorter than going through a car wash.

·
Registered
64 Posts
..., and no electronic nannies "watching out" for me!
THIS describes how I feel about a lot about new vehicles these days... soon the ability to drive and think will not be needed or allowed.

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
You lost me at your definition of 'car wash'. 'car wash' is in my driveway using a hose and wash bucket.
Agreed 100%. But in the winter, I'm not washing my car in -20*C, so I make do with touchless car washes.

Spring/Summer/Fall I wash it by hand with a foam cannon + pressure washer + 2 bucket method.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I just had this exact same thing happen to me on the first trip through the car wash in my 2019. Shortly after rolling forward through the wash, the thing dinged at me and displayed the message about hitting the brake and shifting into drive. I of course ignored it. Then at the end of the wash, I tried to shift into drive, and it again dinged at me and re-flashed the message on the display. Pressing the accelerator didn't seem to do anything. The vehicle was still in neutral. I then had to quickly shift back into the N position, tap the brake, and shift into D, and then was able to move. Naturally I was freaking out because there was another car rolling through behind me and I did not feel reasonably in control of my vehicle at that point.

I am assuming this is some kind of modern safety feature, where it wants you to be absolutely sure you want to move forward by first engaging the brake before shifting back into D. Otherwise, one could "slip" and shift into D and have the vehicle actively move forward without really meaning to do so. Or something like that. I dunno, it seems pretty useless overall to me, but after the high-profile death of the Star Trek actor due to the horrible e-shifter they had on the Grand Cherokees, I'm guessing they're being overly cautious now, to the point of absurdity, just so they can avoid further lawsuits.

Reactions: UN4GTBL

·
Registered
50 Posts
I’m wondering if the speed of the car wash has something to do with it. I’ve never had this issue. How fast does your electronic speedo show? Mine doesn’t exceed 2, and then only for a second at a time.

Reactions: 1coopgt61

·
Registered
926 Posts
My 2012 Durango R/T and my 2015 R/T ScatPack Challenger each needed the brake to be pressed to go from neutral into drive. This common on FCA vehicles.

My 2007 Charger and 2007 Dodge pickup didn't require using the brake to get from N to D. >:D
I've been driving for almost 40 years with no "nannies" involved. Cars, light trucks, OTR big trucks- got along just fine!

What happens if you run a track day with "lane sense" and "pre-collision braking" turned on?! :surprise:

Reactions: UN4GTBL

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
The car wash I use moves around me with the option of touch or no touch. We have a handwash place around the corner, but they are always trying to upsell unneeded items. Since I live in the desert most of the year I hand wash, but it does get very cold here in the winter and they use salt so I do use it.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I mostly used touchless washes, but some of the local ones transitioned to using brushes.
When I went to another touchless one in the next town, the pressure popped out one of the tow hook plugs on my bumper on my Genesis!

Since then a local company opened a soft cloth auto wash in the neighborhood. I had used this company for over 20 years with no issues when I lived in the far Southwest suburbs. I went back there with my Genesis, and my wife's Pacifica, and for the last year, no issues. I generally prefer a hand wash, but the local detailer went to appointment only, and raised the price to about $50 bucks. He does a great job, but I can get the basic wash for $3.00 at the local place. It does a pretty good job including a decent hot air dry.
I can do a quick wipe down of the windows, door jambs, and tailgate area with a microfiber rag, and it's all good.

Reactions: Fj4080
1 - 20 of 23 Posts