2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A new message to me, when I went to backup today it said rear backup lights unavailable. I then put the vehicle in reverse and engaged the parking brake to go look. Sure enough I have no reverse lights.

I'm going to try jiggling the reverse light wire under the dash tomorrow (goes into the main connector to the BCM) since it might be that.

·
Registered
149 Posts
A new message to me, when I went to backup today it said rear backup lights unavailable. I then put the vehicle in reverse and engaged the parking brake to go look. Sure enough I have no reverse lights.

I'm going to try jiggling the reverse light wire under the dash tomorrow (goes into the main connector to the BCM) since it might be that. Earlier in the year when I attempted to install the mopar hitch and wiring harness for towing there was a step where you needed to remove the reverse wire from the connector to splice into a new wire. I tried hard and could not get the wire out so I may have damaged it or the connector in the process. Hopefully not though. It was good for the past 6 months. I bet a dealer wouldn't even attempt to replace the connector and instead would say to replace the whole wiring harness (the main harness for the car) at a cost of probably like $5000.
It sounds like something happened with you Mopar install and the wiring splice has gone bad.

I would check for corrosion or the splice being grounded to the body.

There is such a thing as repairing a connector, Your dealer should have an electrical geek who likes to do that kind of stuff.

They wouldn't replace the main harness for this kind of issue, there is a short harness that plugs in somewhere else to the main harness they may replace worst case.

Dealers definitely don't want to do the whole body harness replacement.

Also, just a word to the wise, MOPAR parts only carry a warrantee for workmanship for install if the dealer installs it.

What I mean when I say that is if you installed a MOPAR part and the vehicle has a failed component down the road due to the install, the warranty won't cover it for sure.

If the dealer had installed it and the issue came up later, its their problem to fix and its warrantable.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
It sounds like something happened with you Mopar install and the wiring splice has gone bad.

I would check for corrosion or the splice being grounded to the body.

There is such a thing as repairing a connector, Your dealer should have an electrical geek who likes to do that kind of stuff.

They wouldn't replace the main harness for this kind of issue, there is a short harness that plugs in somewhere else to the main harness they may replace worst case.

Dealers definitely don't want to do the whole body harness replacement.

Also, just a word to the wise, MOPAR parts only carry a warrantee for workmanship for install if the dealer installs it.

What I mean when I say that is if you installed a MOPAR part and the vehicle has a failed component down the road due to the install, the warranty won't cover it for sure.

If the dealer had installed it and the issue came up later, its their problem to fix and its warrantable.
I never actually did the splice I just left the wires in there. So it is still connected up like stock.

I got in there today and jiggled the cable and connector (green connector) going to the BCM and then the reverse lights started working again so I'm pretty sure it's just not a great connection. I'll probably have to come up with a more permanent fix later since I'm sure it will keep happening.

·
Registered
2015 Cherokee Trailhawk
380 Posts
Anytime a wire is removed from a connector, an extraction tool (specific to that connector) is used to properly release it otherwise the connector and wire are damaged and will need to be replaced. It will only get worse until that replacement happens.

In some cases, connectors may require an insertion tool as well.

Reactions: Flybynightcru

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anytime a wire is removed from a connector, an extraction tool (specific to that connector) is used to properly release it otherwise the connector and wire are damaged and will need to be replaced. It will only get worse until that replacement happens.

In some cases, connectors may require an insertion tool as well.
I took out the connector and inspected the plug and after messing with it my reverse lights still don't work. Will probably just take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
2015 Cherokee Trailhawk
380 Posts
I took out the connector and inspected the plug and after messing with it my reverse lights still don't work. Will probably just take it to the dealer.
When it's apart, can you take a good look at the wiring to see if something is grounded/severed/detached? I think you said that both sides are out so the issue could be up front since it's common to both sides. A check of the circuit using the wiring diagram may be an easy fix. The dealer will charge you for the troubleshooting time and although that may be warranted, the issue could be something really apparent with some investigation. Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts