2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

What do you feel about Engine Stop/Start (ESS)?

• Love It!

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Hate It!

Votes: 32 50.8%
  • Meh. Don't care either way.

Votes: 20 31.7%
  • ESS? What the heck is ESS!?

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
61 - 66 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hey Jeep! Put your cars on a diet! Maybe then the ESS can go the way of the Dinosaurs. Aluminum hood and the rest of the car is steel!?
No matter what I still love my Cherokee.

·
Registered
9,167 Posts
Hey Jeep! Put your cars on a diet! Maybe then the ESS can go the way of the Dinosaurs. Aluminum hood and the rest of the car is steel!?
No matter what I still love my Cherokee.
Is this all you can talk about ?:

https://jeepcherokeeclub.com/4-2014-jeep-cherokee-general-discussion/242260-ess-love-hate-6.html#post2932852
https://jeepcherokeeclub.com/4-2014-jeep-cherokee-general-discussion/242424-2019-jeep-useless.html#post2932896
https://jeepcherokeeclub.com/4-2014-jeep-cherokee-general-discussion/242350-disabling-ess-dirty-way.html#post2933086

You still love your Cherokee but you call it a turd ? Sounds like trolling to me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the ODBII device that allows the ESS button to remember its last position. Mine has been off for 2 years in my TH. Affect MPG? Not a bit... just logged 27 mpg on a recent trip.
ABSOLUTELY!!!! It was $129, but worth every cent. You can get it HERE, its where I got mine for my 2017 Cherokee Trailhawk V6. Just remember to pull it off the OBDII port if you take your car in for service. I forgot once and the guy at check-in kind of made a stink about it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
My ESS acts like a one time use thing. If i am in traffic and come to a stop it will shut off but when i move forward and stop again it never shuts off again unless i get back up to at least 20mph then stop again. Its a one time use even after 10 minutes in stop and go. So it is just gets deactived before i even leave my parking spot.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I bought my 2016 Cherokee used in 2019 and the ESS has not worked since I bought it. It's always the "battery charging" or "service stop/start" message. Every time I have had the battery checked at either auto parts stores or by several dealers, they all say the battery tests good. I probable should have the IBS tested but since the I haven't had any problems with the vehicle in the last year, I haven't had it checked.

I don't care for the ESS even when it does work. I want to be able to hit the gas at a complete stop to get out of the way if needed.

My 2020 Ford Ranger has the auto stop start too, I shut it off every time I drive it.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
My ESS acts like a one time use thing. If i am in traffic and come to a stop it will shut off but when i move forward and stop again it never shuts off again unless i get back up to at least 20mph then stop again. Its a one time use even after 10 minutes in stop and go. So it is just gets deactived before i even leave my parking spot.
20 MPH is way fast. What year is yours?

According to the user manual:

Other Factors Which Can Inhibit Autostop Include:

• 5 MPH threshold not achieved from previous AUTOSTOP.

It's been that way since at least 2015 MY. I just have to "blip" my acceleration to move up a bit and Autostop (aka "ESS") works again. But then I have a 2019 TH/E. Maybe it is a little more desensitized from previous model years? In any case, 20 MPH sounds like a problem.

Not sure when you mean about "even after 10 minutes in stop and go". That's very hard on the charging system.

Depending on what you have on in your vehicle (A/C, seat heating/venting, radio blaring, other electrical loads), ESS duration will be very short if it engages at all. The engine will keep running to charge the battery and provide enough juice to keep everything running. If I have all systems off, I can get a couple of minutes (rough estimate) of ESS in stop and go traffic.

Reactions: Mark_
61 - 66 of 66 Posts