2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

What do you feel about Engine Stop/Start (ESS)?

• Love It!

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Hate It!

Votes: 32 50.8%
  • Meh. Don't care either way.

Votes: 20 31.7%
  • ESS? What the heck is ESS!?

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I hate the thing. I can just see to may negative for it. Sure it saves you 1-2 mpg in the city but starter and battery life? plus long term affects on the oil pump etc... I just wish there was a way to turn in off without having to hit the button every time I get in.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I installed the bypass sold by a vendor around here- I felt light at a light if I hit the gas it took longer than I wanted to get out of the way, problem solved but I hate paying for it.

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
The ESS button is free to use. Just part of my routine, but think
it should default to off. Also rear sensors have a button on my 19.
Turns the beeps off, and it stays off until I hit the button again. It
doesn't matter if I shut the Jeep off. Wish ESS worked the same! LOL

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
One week of results and it's about where I expected. 24 hate the beast. Only 8 love it. BUT - as many pointed out "love" was a bit too strong of a word so it might have influenced a few voters. If you add the 8 that love it to the 13 that are "don't care either way", it's 25 for(ish) to 24 against. About the 50/50 split it looked like from reading many of the threads.

Since I didn't put a deadline on the poll, the voting will continue and the results may change. However, when someone says "most people <love/hate> ESS", you now have an argument that really says "about half hate it and the other half either love it or just tolerate it".

Since it's baked into the fuel economy and emissions number that FCA uses to meet U.S. and other governments' mandates, I'm pretty sure it's here to stay. Here's a post I did that helps explain ESS: https://jeepcherokeeclub.com/2930632-post12.html. Another tidbit I discovered reading through the EPA site is that a car manufacturer has to reduce the estimated fuel economy and emissions gains provided by ESS by 50% if the manufacturer provides a way to permanently disable it. That explains why it keeps turning back on for every engine cycle.

My 2 cents is every little bit helps. If emissions can be reduced, maybe my wife's asthma wouldn't be as bad. So turn it off if you want to, but I know my wife won't thank you! :wink:

Reactions: Mark_

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Yep, but that setting resets itself every time you restart the car.

My biggest gripe with it is that it 'should' disable itself automatically when you plug in the connection for the lights on a trailer. I assumed it would work that way, but it doesn't on my 19. Grrrrr..
I need to check that. I don't remember it beeping when I towed in the past, but that's been a year+ now.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I need to check that. I don't remember it beeping when I towed in the past, but that's been a year+ now.
Let me know if you find out that yours does disable when plugging in trailer lights. But like XJ99 points outs, hitting the Park Sense off button below the display screen turns it off and it does indeed remember the setting. In the past I've tried to defeat it within the menus when all I had to do was push that button. 'Face slap'

One thing about the Jeep which I find somewhat amusing is the number of button pushes I have to do before driving somewhere. It's much more than just hitting the start button and taking off. For me, during the winter months, it consists of pushing the following....

1. Start button.
2. ESS off button.
3. Control button on display.
4. Seat Heat button. (I have to switch from default Dante's Inferno to low setting.)
5. Media button. (To get to my usb music drive)
6. Shuffle button (Because it refuses to remember that setting.)
7. Park Sense (If I have a trailer hooked up.)

And now, I'm finally on my way. :wink:

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
Let me know if you find out that yours does disable when plugging in trailer lights. But like XJ99 points outs, hitting the Park Sense off button below the display screen turns it off and it does indeed remember the setting. In the past I've tried to defeat it within the menus when all I had to do was push that button. 'Face slap'

One thing about the Jeep which I find somewhat amusing is the number of button pushes I have to do before driving somewhere. It's much more than just hitting the start button and taking off. For me, during the winter months, it consists of pushing the following....

1. Start button.
2. ESS off button.
3. Control button on display.
4. Seat Heat button. (I have to switch from default Dante's Inferno to low setting.)
5. Media button. (To get to my usb music drive)
6. Shuffle button (Because it refuses to remember that setting.)
7. Park Sense (If I have a trailer hooked up.)

And now, I'm finally on my way. :wink:

That's weird it doesn't remember the shuffle setting?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Since it's baked into the fuel economy and emissions number that FCA uses to meet U.S. and other governments' mandates, I'm pretty sure it's here to stay.
Absolutely. ESS is one of the tools that is actually prolonging the life of the ICE platform. Just wait until Jeep combines ESS with cylinder deactivation (also known as variable displacement). Don't laugh: the 2020 Ford Escape employs cylinder deactivation on a 1.5-liter three-cylinder engine. Not just for V8s anymore!

When the full BEV Cherokees arrive, some may regard mere ESS that defaults to ON as the good ol' days. :smile:

Reactions: UN4GTBL

·
Registered
136 Posts
That's weird it doesn't remember the shuffle setting?
It depends. One of the flukes with my Uconnect system is that its memory seems to be based on time. That is, if I stop the car to get some gas, for example, when I start it up again it will resume with the song that was playing and it will remember my shuffle setting.

But if the car sits a few hours, when I get back in it has forgotten the shuffle setting as well as the song that was playing. It always starts playing the same song too, which isn't the first song on the usb drive in any alphabetical way. It's weird and just a fluke with the system which I have come to accept.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Don't like ESS when I stop at a STOP sign just a little too long or even a pause joining traffic and it shuts off. Grrrrrr

Not only would I like it to remember the previous setting, I'd like it to stop the engine, if I've had it disabled and re-enable it.

2015 Limited diesel Australia

·
Registered
40 Posts
The manufacturers need to find another way to "save a few drops of fuel" to satisfy government requirements. Afterall, that's what this is all about. The government never demanded a start stop feature....it is the manufactures who developed it to meet fuel usage standards.

As I understand it, "we" have a glut of oil, much of it from the USA and less and less from foreign sources. I'm not a "Big Brother" hater but this stop start feature is nuts!

·
Registered
246 Posts
The manufacturers need to find another way to "save a few drops of fuel" to satisfy government requirements. Afterall, that's what this is all about. The government never demanded a start stop feature....it is the manufactures who developed it to meet fuel usage standards.
That's true, but as the discussion above should make clear, any new mileage-boosting/fuel-saving systems for internal combustion engines will probably just supplement ESS, not replace it. Manufacturers aren't going to want to give up hard-won ground.

As I understand it, "we" have a glut of oil, much of it from the USA and less and less from foreign sources.
Right, but today the primary question is not whether enough petroleum exists, but rather whether we can figure out how to burn less of the petroleum that exists.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I believe the fuel standards are based on each specific manuafacture's ENTIRE automoble line up. As more and more electric/hybrid vehicles come into each manufacture's line up that consume either very little fuel of no fuel at all you would think that the start stop technology would eventually vanish.

In the meantime, there will be more devices to defeat the feature. Currently there is one of those devices for most of the German cars that is very user friendly...and can make a number of other adjustments to the standard features as well. As more computer controls are added to vehicles the easier it is for an owner to plug in a phone or tablet with appropriate software and start making changes to the factory settings instead of relying on a dealer to make such adjustments (if they "agree").

·
Registered
246 Posts
I believe the fuel standards are based on each specific manuafacture's ENTIRE automoble line up. As more and more electric/hybrid vehicles come into each manufacture's line up that consume either very little fuel of no fuel at all you would think that the start stop technology would eventually vanish.
Given Jeep's extremely slow start with respect to vehicle electrification, I'd say that possible day is a long way off. But yes, maybe someday when ICE vehicles are relatively rare, they will all be no-holds-barred, no-restrictions-on-gasoline-consumption ICE vehicles. In that world, the Cherokee probably will be a BEV, though.

Moreover, it's mistake to believe that the only current value of ESS systems to manufacturers is to comply with government standards. Mileage figures are highly competitive selling points, and are taken seriously by shoppers and by virtually all vehicle reviewers. Some Jeep customers may not care about mileage at all, especially if off-road use is their priority, but many do, especially in a market segment like compact SUVs. Jeep cannot afford to write off potential buyers who place vehicle efficiency high on their list of priorities and are cross-shopping the Cherokee or Compass against Hondas and Toyotas. Jeep doesn't need to win the mileage battle, but its vehicles at least need to turn in respectable numbers that will allow shoppers to feel comfortable about focusing on Jeeps' other virtues. Jeep sees ESS as a way to help do that.

Reactions: Mark_

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
ESS vs Remote Start! LOL hahahaha

Also, the only "compact" SUV that can tow 4,500 pounds to date! LOL

If you bought a Jeep for MPG, you made the wrong choice! LOL

Reactions: HerHawk and UN4GTBL

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have the ODBII device that allows the ESS button to remember its last position. Mine has been off for 2 years in my TH. Affect MPG? Not a bit... just logged 27 mpg on a recent trip.
I do not like the ESS on/off function. I too have the ODBII device, and I never even think about the ESS.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just think if Jeep took the time to shave some weight of this barge. Maybe the ESS wouldn't be needed. Does this tank need to be so heavy?

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Just think if Jeep took the time to shave some weight of this barge. Maybe the ESS wouldn't be needed. Does this tank need to be so heavy?
You bought a 2019 Latitude with the 2.4L engine. Had you really wanted something lighter, then a Compass or Renegade perhaps ? Most who have 2.4L Cherokees are satisfied with it's *Ok* power, but of course a V6 or 2.0T make it feel lighter...

·
Registered
501 Posts
I think the ESS could be improved if it worked only when the brake was pressed further down. That way I can press lightly if I don't want to use it, and press further when I want the engine to shut off. This is how it behaved in other vehicles I have driven with ESS. There have been many time where it gets in the way for me and shuts the engine off when I don't want.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I think the ESS could be improved if it worked only when the brake was pressed further down. That way I can press lightly if I don't want to use it, and press further when I want the engine to shut off. This is how it behaved in other vehicles I have driven with ESS....
This is exactly how it works with my 2019, I can make most stops without engaging the ESS simply by modulating the pedal. If it does engage I can turn the engine back on by reducing pressure on the pedal, but I still turn it off at every startup in the Summer.

And don’t fool yourselves by thinking that ESS saves any gas on a road trip. It works by eliminating the gas used when idling, the more time you spend stopped the more gas it saves. On road trips you don’t spend much time idling, so you don’t save gas. ESS does save gas in the EPA stop and go driving cycle, if it didn’t it wouldn’t be used. Plus it does reduce emissions, multiply your tiny emissions savings by the quarter of a billion vehicles in the US and the reduction would be millions of tons a year.

41 - 60 of 66 Posts