2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

What do you feel about Engine Stop/Start (ESS)?

• Love It!

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Hate It!

Votes: 32 50.8%
  • Meh. Don't care either way.

Votes: 20 31.7%
  • ESS? What the heck is ESS!?

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Nanny state BS, of course I hate it. Just another thing to cause the battery and starter to crap out earlier.
Haven't heard of a single starter *crapping out* on a KL, yet. Yes, it's early (V6 2015s aren't 5 years old yet).

But I will say this about batteries : although on paper an AGM battery would overcome the added stress of ESS duty, these particular Johnson Controls OEM group 94Rs/H7s are definitely a poor offering in these vehicles : they are undersized and poorly constructed. Yes, I do believe they die too early, but I wouldn't say ESS is the primary reason... underhood placement causing high heat exposure is the primary reason, I think. Anecdotally, V6 2014 wet batteries don't last all that long either, but I don't have real statistics to back that up. With a higher quality replacement AGM, I'm pretty sure ESS won't shorten its life, at all, and underhood heat won't kill them as early either.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Haven't heard of a single starter *crapping out* on a KL, yet. Yes, it's early (V6 2015s aren't 5 years old yet).

But I will say this about batteries : although on paper an AGM battery would overcome the added stress of ESS duty, these particular Johnson Controls OEM group 94Rs/H7s are definitely a poor offering in these vehicles : they are undersized and poorly constructed. Yes, I do believe they die too early, but I wouldn't say ESS is the primary reason... underhood placement causing high heat exposure is the primary reason, I think. Anecdotally, V6 2014 wet batteries don't last all that long either, but I don't have real statistics to back that up. With a higher quality replacement AGM, I'm pretty sure ESS won't shorten its life, at all, and underhood heat won't kill them as early either.
Mark-
What is a good brand for AGM replacemtnt in the USA?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've gotten used to it. I find you can control it by just lifting off the brakes slightly. Not enough for the car to move. You can also just give the steering wheel a slight turn. That way you can start the engine and run heat or a/c, or get ready for a quick merge. When mine wasn't working my mileage dropped 2-3 mpg. I'm on my second oem battery, will probably have to replace it this winter. There are so many things that cause it to not function-steep hill, heating or cooling cabin, battery charging, wheel turned, not warmed up, etc. I do have to put the charger on the battery every few weeks of U want it to work.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Mark-
What is a good brand for AGM replacemtnt in the USA?
Hi,

Northstar (grey case) group 94R AGM. A few suppliers carry them, so does Amazon sometimes :
[ame]https://www.amazon.com/NORTHSTAR-Automotive-Group-Battery-NSB-AGM94R/dp/B01NCRAAID[/ame]

But these two should be easier to find :

X2 Power 94R (relabelled Northstar) : https://www.batteriesplus.com/product-details/auto_light-truck/battery/x2power/sli94ragmdp

Odyssey 94R-850 : https://www.autozone.com/batteries-starting-and-charging/battery/odyssey-battery-94r-850-group-size-94r-850-cca/937704_0_0

The Odyssey can be found at multiple suppliers, but Autozone has a great price on it and should be easy to get to, for most.

The Northstar (and X2 Power) along with the Odyssey, are thin plate pure lead design AGMs ; this means high quality, less internal resistance, longer life and more resistance to ambiant heat.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you start the car and leave the key fob at home, will the car turn off when there is no key fob? Long story, but I was in this situation rushing to the UPS store and remembered to turn off EES so I would not risk a dead engine at the first stoplight.

I hated EES at first but no longer really notice it.

·
Registered
136 Posts
The Odyssey can be found at multiple suppliers, but Autozone has a great price on it and should be easy to get to, for most.

225 dollars for a battery is insane. I'll trade in my Jeep for a new one when the battery goes on it. :wink:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm ok with ESS, some times I turn it off where I'm in aa area with lots of Stop signs, it's hard to roll through a stop sign when the motor turns off.

If you want to talk about Nanny State things I hate it's the Park Assist, and the Forward Collision Warning.
Turn off Park Assist and I don't get the distance warning on the dash, leave it on and it beeps a lot, and hates my bike rack.
Forward Collision Warning thinks the train track crossing is a wall.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Mark -

Thanks for the quick reply.
I'm saving the info for when I need it.
A question- - Do you know who makes the Champion?
https://www.pepboys.com/champion-agm-battery/product/2071662?quantity=1
Low price and a 48 month replacement warranty at Pep Boys.. just wondering.
That battery is an OEM clone, like the majority of group 94R batteries sold everywhere (they are identical, made by Johnson Controls). And don't be fooled by the CCA numbers, they vary from label to label, even though the batteries are identical. Those are lead-calcium AGMs, and expect the same longevity as the OEM battery. Under how many labels can this battery be found ? I've stopped counting, but here are a few : Exide Edge, Duralast Platinum, Bosch Platinum, Autocraft Platinum, Energizer Max, Everstart Platinum, A/C Delco AGM, Interstate H7 AGM, Duracell Ultra Platinum, etc... etc...

225 dollars for a battery is insane. I'll trade in my Jeep for a new one when the battery goes on it. :wink:
Hahaha. $225 for a quality battery (AGM) is really good. The cheaper OEM clones are $160-$220 depending on where you look. A thin plate pure lead battery is well worth the extra money, if you plan on keeping the vehicle a while. With more and more manufacturers going with ESS, it's not going to be possible to get cheap batteries anymore..;)

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
I'm ok with ESS, some times I turn it off where I'm in aa area with lots of Stop signs, it's hard to roll through a stop sign when the motor turns off.

If you want to talk about Nanny State things I hate it's the Park Assist, and the Forward Collision Warning.
Turn off Park Assist and I don't get the distance warning on the dash, leave it on and it beeps a lot, and hates my bike rack.
Forward Collision Warning thinks the train track crossing is a wall.
I believe you can turn off the beeping in the settings menu on the Uconnect screen.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hmmm........

I don't really love or hate it, but just simply allow it to do what it's designed to do. After learning that I could restart the engine by feathering back on the brake pressure, then all was fine because I was in total control.

Desert Hiker

·
Registered
254 Posts
I did just that as my 15 v6 had both head lights go out 1 week apart and they were the special ones and they cost $280 each plus labor and they said to get to the lights they had to take all the front grill and other stuff just to get to them and the total bill was to be about $1000 so with the mileage i had on it i traded it in.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
I did just that as my 15 v6 had both head lights go out 1 week apart and they were the special ones and they cost $280 each plus labor and they said to get to the lights they had to take all the front grill and other stuff just to get to them and the total bill was to be about $1000 so with the mileage i had on it i traded it in.
Yikes... I hate some of those dealerships... So you had a Limited with Luxury package, which came with factory HID headlights.

These are the OEM HID bulbs, on Amazon (price for a pair) :
[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Philips-Automotive-ALI-PHILIPS-42403C1/dp/B074MNGWJQ/ref=sr_1_11?keywords=d3s+hid+bulbs&qid=1573227356&sr=8-11[/ame]
Yep, the Mopar bulbs are exactly the same. Dealerships are making a killing selling these...:frown:

To get to them, no need to remove the front grill. You can go in via the wheel wells (3 screws par side) or go from above by removing the battery (driver's side) and air box (passenger side) : a tech can remove both in about 20 minutes. And then access to the headlamps is easy, takes one minute to take old bulb out and stick new one in.

$1000 ? No way... $105 for a pair of Philips D3S bulbs plus about one hour labor for everything (quicker for someone who's done it before). Grr..

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
And they wonder why "stealerships" is used to describe dealers...

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
I don't really love or hate it, but just simply allow it to do what it's designed to do. After learning that I could restart the engine by feathering back on the brake pressure, then all was fine because I was in total control.

Desert Hiker

Just push the button, full control. LOL

Reactions: Alaskan Trailhawk

·
Registered
136 Posts
I believe you can turn off the beeping in the settings menu on the Uconnect screen.
Yep, but that setting resets itself every time you restart the car.

My biggest gripe with it is that it 'should' disable itself automatically when you plug in the connection for the lights on a trailer. I assumed it would work that way, but it doesn't on my 19. Grrrrr..

21 - 40 of 66 Posts