2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

What do you feel about Engine Stop/Start (ESS)?

• Love It!

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Hate It!

Votes: 32 50.8%
  • Meh. Don't care either way.

Votes: 20 31.7%
  • ESS? What the heck is ESS!?

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There been a few threads discussing Engine Stop/Start (or ESS, or just Stop/Start if you want to search your Owner's Manual). OK. More than a few - a LOT!

Some posts indicate a certain affinity for ESS. Other a down-right hatred for the evil beast. Some are fence-sitters and really don't care either way. Here's your chance to weigh in!

·
Registered
510 Posts
I think Love it may be a bit strong, but I thought I would hate it, and ended up liking it.

In my 2019 Overland with 2.0T 4 cyl, it's pretty unobtrusive.

My very first experience with Start/Stop, was test driving a 2016 Cadillac CTS.
I came to a stop, and as I was taking my foot off the brake.... BANG! I thought someone had rear ended me!
The salesman who was along for the ride explained that was the stop/start, and he said on that vehicle it could not be disabled.
(Not sure if that was correct... EDIT it can be turned off, it was a new feature for 2016, and the salesman was clueless.... I looked it up)

My wife rented a 2017 Pacifica before we purchased her 2018 Pacifica S Limited.
The first thing she did was to turn off the Stop/Start system on the rental.
She also turned it off when we took delivery of the Pacifica, but... she stared to forget to turn it off, and noticed that her mileage was improving. After a couple of weeks, she got used to it.

When I got the Cherokee, I though I'd hate it, but I left it on. The only time I turned it off (other than MPG testing) was when pulling into my garage, which is on an incline. At first, it was a bit disconcerting for the engine to stop as I was inching forward toward the garage wall. Now, I'm so used to it, it's not really that bothersome even when pulling into the garage.
I definitely get better city MPG in stop and go driving when leaving it on, so now I rarely disable it.

I suspect that it may be more bothersome in the 2.4L units. I had a Compass loaner once, and it was rougher in that vehicle.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I have the ODBII device that allows the ESS button to remember its last position. Mine has been off for 2 years in my TH. Affect MPG? Not a bit... just logged 27 mpg on a recent trip.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I find it really irritating.
In the summer your ac goes off; in the winter the heat goes cool.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Mine hasn't been engaging consistently for a little bit again, and I've noticed about a 2-3MPG drop.
As much as i wish ess gained 2-3mpg for myself or anyone else, it does not. Other factors are causing mpg loss in your case.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I hate ESS...but I will say that the Jeep ESS is A LOT less obtrusive than on Honda Pilots and Government Motors vehicles. I had Malibu rental that lunged 3ft forward at a red light. Thankfully no one was in front of me. My co-worker's Pilot lunges about a foot.

AK4wheeler

·
Registered
9,167 Posts
I *like it*, so in the *Love it* category here.

ESS is not new technology and many tests have proven it does increase fuel mileage. Anecdotes are just that. Oh and if you go a long highway run, of course ESS won't save you fuel, because you're on the highway most of the time. ESS is most efficient in light to moderate stop-and-go driving, with engine stops that last more than 5-7 seconds on average (think I read that somewhere).

And then you have emissions ; global-warming deniers don't care.

@UN4GTBL : sorry to hear that...

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
As much as i wish ess gained 2-3mpg for myself or anyone else, it does not. Other factors are causing mpg loss in your case.
Cool story!

I guess the reason that my MPG drops when ESS stops working for me is just a complete coincidence, and not related at all to me sitting at red lights with the engine running now. My commute has what are basically peak ESS circumstances - it's city driving for the most part with traffic lights.

I *like it*, so in the *Love it* category here.

ESS is not new technology and many tests have proven it does increase fuel mileage. Anecdotes are just that. Oh and if you go a long highway run, of course ESS won't save you fuel, because you're on the highway most of the time. ESS is most efficient in light to moderate stop-and-go driving, with engine stops that last more than 5-7 seconds on average (think I read that somewhere).

And then you have emissions ; global-warming deniers don't care.

@UN4GTBL : sorry to hear that...
Agreed. I would love it if FCA used better AGM batteries that lasted me longer than a year, and if it was seamless between the moment I take my foot off the brake and press the accelerator again. Yes the engine fires right up immediately, but there is a delay *somewhere* between that point, and when the vehicle actually starts moving again. If you stomp on the accelerator pedal right away, it can be a little rough even. I think the new etorque system is a better way of doing it, as there is less delay theoretically, and it can keep climate control and such more operational. However, it's a newer, more complicated system. Also, it would be nice if there was a way to manually enable an ESS shut down.

As I mentioned above, my commute is basically the perfect situation for ESS.

Yeah, regardless of your views on "global warming", less emissions aren't a bad thing IMO. In fact, now when I come to a stop and the engine stays on, it feels weird lol.

Exactly. Me too. I would have preferred less extreme polling options, but I went with what was available.
Agreed.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Cool story!

I guess the reason that my MPG drops when ESS stops working for me is just a complete coincidence, and not related at all to me sitting at red lights with the engine running now. My commute has what are basically peak ESS circumstances
Actually yea,i do think it's coincidence. My story wasn't supposed to be cool, just realistic. Your max ess city driving detail may have kept me away if it was included in the first post, but even with that detail, anecdotal.

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
I hate it, but not enough to spend $200 on module to plug into
my OBD2 port. Just hit the button to shut it off. LOL

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Actually yea,i do think it's coincidence. My story wasn't supposed to be cool, just realistic. Your max ess city driving detail may have kept me away if it was included in the first post, but even with that detail, anecdotal.
Same thing happened last year before they replaced the original battery too.

In my circumstances, I would say that ESS gets me an additional 2-3 MPGs per tank of city driving.

YMMV, etc, but for me, I do think it saves a little bit.

·
Registered
9,167 Posts
Same thing happened last year before they replaced the original battery too.

In my circumstances, I would say that ESS gets me an additional 2-3 MPGs per tank of city driving.

YMMV, etc, but for me, I do think it saves a little bit.
Is your basic 3y/60K kilometer warranty over yet ? If not, push for yet another new battery, even if it's a crappy Johnson Controls, at least it'd be free and you'd have ESS again for... another year... And then, if you still have the KL and plan to keep it for a while, buy yourself some peace of mind and robust/quick ESS with a Northstar or Odyssey thin plate pure lead AGM...

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Is your basic 3y/60K kilometer warranty over yet ? If not, push for yet another new battery, even if it's a crappy Johnson Controls, at least it'd be free and you'd have ESS again for... another year... And then, if you still have the KL and plan to keep it for a while, buy yourself some peace of mind and robust/quick ESS with a Northstar or Odyssey thin plate pure lead AGM...
That's exactly my plan actually lol. I'm at 20 months and 35k, so still time on the basic warranty, and I have an extended warranty on top of that too.

Hoping to keep this vehicle for a few years as I love it!

·
Registered
413 Posts
I don't have any problem with ESS in conditions where it makes sense, i.e. in stop-and-go traffic where you are stopped as much as you go. OTOH it's highly annoying in situations where it isn't necessary, such as rural driving. So as long as it can be disabled when not desired I'm fine with it. I wouldn't buy a vehicle where there was no option to disable however.

·
JeepCherokeeClub.com Vendor
55 Posts
SmartStopStart now supports the 2020 Cherokee (Limited, Overland, Trailhawk Elite)

I am happy to report that our popular SmartStopStart ESS memory device now supports the 2020 Jeep Cherokee Limited, Overland and Tralhawk ELITE models. We do not support the Latitude and Trailhawk models at this time.

Price is $129.95 with free Priority Mail shipping, a 90-day money back warranty and a 3-year repair/replace warranty.

We continue to be a sponsor of Jeep Cherokee Club and thank all of our past customers!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hate it. Disengaging it is a part of my normal startup sequence. I would never buy a vehicle with ESS which didn't have the option to turn it off.

I also imagine it is hard on the battery and the reason some of you folks have to replace your battery so often. Has there ever been a poll on battery longevity for ESS users vs non ESS users?

Reactions: UN4GTBL

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Nanny state BS, of course I hate it. Just another thing to cause the battery and starter to crap out earlier.

Reactions: CaptJCHill
1 - 20 of 66 Posts