2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jeep has announced that plug-in hybrid versions of the Renegade, Compass, and Wrangler will be on display at the upcoming 2020 Consumer Electronics Showcase. The Renegade and Compass will share a setup in which FCA's 1.3-liter turbo powers the front wheels and an electric motor powers the rear wheels. The Wrangler's powertrain is still a secret, but should be revealed next week at the CES. All new electrified Jeeps will carry a "4 x e" badge.

No word yet on any type of electric Cherokee. However, Jeep also has claimed that electric versions of all Jeep models will be available by 2022, so something must be in the works. Whether the Cherokee will be another hybrid variant or a full BEV remains to be seen.

·
Registered
72 Posts
My next vehicle will definitely be electric, whether it‘s a Jeep or not. I’ll probably be looking for something in 2022. By then, it looks like they’ll be quite a few choices for an EV.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Given my career, going straight up to EV is not in the cards considering the infrastructure I don't think is quite there yet. It's certainly on its way, but give it another 5-10 years, and then I might reconsider. For now, my next vehicle is likely to be a Hybrid, but that will ultimately depend on how fast the EV adoption rate becomes, plus the infrastructure. I mean, who knows? Maybe by 2030, Hybrids will no longer be the thing to get, and EVs will quickly takeover.

I just hope by then, the national grid will have updated enough to handle the loads of the extra juice required.

Reactions: UN4GTBL

·
Registered
835 Posts
Well, the hybrid Wrangler has indeed made its introductory public appearance, but Jeep still hasn't explained the powertrain details. Jeep shows the PHEV Wrangler 4xe at CES — but doesn't tell us anything about it. Such coyness does not befit Jeep.
I think the biggest question from that is how is the difference in price going to be between this, and the EcoDiesel? I would imagine that Jeep would want this to be competitive in the Jeep realm, but not necessarily kill off entirely the diesel sales, so I'm curious how this'll fit in.

EDIT: On top of this, it's not as though the EcoDiesel has any real advantages over the standard gas models with the exception of fuel economy (towing capacity is the same at 3500lbs), so will it be able to compete with the hybrid variant? I suspect most will opt for the hybrid instead of the diesel if fuel economy is what they're after.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts