2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
This is something that really sucks about the Diesel in general, and the same pretty much applies with the new 1/2 Ton Pick-Up Diesels (although I think the 1/2 tons make a slightly better case). That being said, if you do a lot of towing, and/or drive a ton of miles, then the advantages of the Diesel make more sense, and do eventually offset the initial cost.

Overall though, if I had to get a Diesel Jeep (Wrangler, Grand Cherokee, or Gladiator), I would get one used at a much reduced price. But one issue I see which you pointed out is you only save X amount of dollars per year, and in some cases, you might only break even, or actually spend more.

I went ahead, and went to the EPA's website, and compared the 2019 Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel to both the V6, and the V8 model. If you do compare the V8 to the Diesel, you will definitely recoup those costs in a few years, but with the V6, it sounds as though you'll never break even.

One advantage though I can see is you can easily tune these engines to not only provide better power/torque, but also better fuel economy. And provided you do not have annual smog inspections, you could put a different ECU tune, and reap the rewards. That being said, it will cost a few hundred dollars extra to tune your ECU for something like that, so that additional cost does add up.

In all, I do find less and less reasons to have diesels around, and think a company like Jeep should be investing in full Hybrid systems, and eventually switch to outright EV powertrains. Heck, they should be doing a Series Hybrid like the Chevy Volt where the engine is used as a generator, and the electric motors provide the power to the wheels. At that point, I could see a case for a diesel engine generator for a Series Hybrid as I believe it would be easier to manage the emissions.

Reactions: Ronin38

·
Registered
760 Posts
Some of the issues with the Volt are due to the design of the car, not the powertrain. /hijack
I like the "idea" of the diesels, but with all the EPA-mandated crap, and the soaring costs of the fuel, I'll never get one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts