2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

121 - 134 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm thinking of putting in the Alpine KTP-445U amp. The speakers i have are Alpine SPJ-691CS with RMS 60watts. Will this amp work ok with these speakers being the amp puts out 45watts x 4 channels? Also anyone who's installed this amp, is there anything extra I should pick up for the install that the amp.doesnt come with? The head unit in my Latitude is the smaller uconnect not the 8". Thanks for any info on this.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have that exact amplifier although it was professionally installed run them to your four door speakers do not disconnect the dash speakers if you do the radio will not work it sounds fantastic I put in Alpine R - S69 speakers in all four doors and the KTU 445 power pack which is mounted right behind the stereo with zip ties it sounds so good I cannot believe it

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have that exact amplifier although it was professionally installed run them to your four door speakers do not disconnect the dash speakers if you do the radio will not work it sounds fantastic I put in Alpine R - S69 speakers in all four doors and the KTU 445 power pack which is mounted right behind the stereo with zip ties it sounds so good I cannot believe it
Sorry, but no professional installer would mount an amplifier with zip ties.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Sorry, but no professional installer would mount an amplifier with zip ties.
I asked them NOT TO SHOOT SCREWS into my instrument panel I ask them just a zip tie it secure no reason to blast holes into my car
Also it is a power pack not really an amplifier that needs to be mounted usually under the seat this isn't that big it's not a typical amplifier it is like I said earlier a power pack

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just installed the Mopar Kicker speakers in a 2019 with the base 6 speaker system. While they generally sound better at lower volume levels the highs get rather harsh as you turn the volume up. I played with both the EQ and loudness. I've had to turn the mids all the way down and the highs almost all the way down.

I will be having an Alpine KTU455U Power Pack professionally installed on Aug 17th. I'm not sure if this will make the issue better or worse............

·
Registered
42 Posts
As I mentioned, I have installed the Kicker speaker kit for the 6 speaker base 7" screen system. While they do sound better than the OEM speakers the sound quality still suffered as the front stage was WAY louder than the rear and highs were ear piercing. I had to lower the highs and mids on the EQ as well as fade to the rear. I know the sound out of a speaker is only as good as the supply source. Installing just the Alpine Power Pack did not work.

After some research I have decided to have a AudioControl LC7i LOC installed with accompanying 22 ohm 10 watt resistors as per AudioControls recommendation. The OEM head unit needs to resistors to be able to "see" the speakers or it will not send any audio signals out from the head unit. This all will be done 8/24/2019.

·
Registered
42 Posts
This worked out splendidly. I gained better sound reproduction and more volume. With just the OEM head unit the front Kicker MOPAR speaker kit was much too bright on the front end and I was having to lower the highs and mids in the EQ and fade the speakers to the rear. With this new set up everything changed. The AudioControl LC7i flattens the signals from the radio so you start with a very clean, even signal. Setting the gains to match the Alpine Power Pack output just at the clipping point makes for a clean reproduction of sound from the Kicker MOPAR accessory speakers all the way to full volume. While this will not give you ear bleeding volume levels (the Alpine Power Pack is rated at 45 watts X 4 RMS) it will give very good clarity.

List of items installed:

Alpine Power Pack KTP-445U
AudioControl LC7i
MOPAR Kicker speaker kit 82215414 & 82215415 (for 6 speaker base stereo)
22 ohm 10 watt resistors (4 each)

This was on a 2019 Latitude.

·
Registered
42 Posts
If anyone is interested in the spec of the MOPAR kits for the 6 speaker system they are as follows:

All are 4 ohm speakers, 65 watts RMS, 135 watts max based on the Kicker 2004 KS series.

·
Registered
31 Posts
As I mentioned, I have installed the Kicker speaker kit for the 6 speaker base 7" screen system. While they do sound better than the OEM speakers the sound quality still suffered as the front stage was WAY louder than the rear and highs were ear piercing. I had to lower the highs and mids on the EQ as well as fade to the rear. I know the sound out of a speaker is only as good as the supply source. Installing just the Alpine Power Pack did not work.

After some research I have decided to have a AudioControl LC7i LOC installed with accompanying 22 ohm 10 watt resistors as per AudioControls recommendation. The OEM head unit needs to resistors to be able to "see" the speakers or it will not send any audio signals out from the head unit. This all will be done 8/24/2019.
Hey Scooter,
How/where did you add the resistors? I just install a LC71 to my Trailhawk with out success. Also, links to the resistors? Sorry, I ask for a lot...

·
Registered
2015 Cherokee Trailhawk
556 Posts
There are 3 dash speakers correct? What are the sizes? I upgrade my 6 speaker systems with alpines. Do the small speakers go in the door or dash?
The six-speaker system has two dash speakers: 3.5". The center will not have any speaker unless it's the nine-speaker setup. The door speakers are 6x9".

·
Registered
2015 Cherokee Trailhawk
556 Posts
Did the existing speaker grills fit on the dash speakers and the door speakers without any modifications?
The doors did not require modifications even while using RetroMat liners. The dash did require that I cut 2-5/8" holes and added aftermarket grills on top. I also cut 3-1/2" holes in the doors as well and can really hear a much cleaner sound now. If done right - and it's not difficult - they look pretty good. I went with all Rockford Fosgate and the 3.5" speakers are just slightly taller.

·
Registered
2015 Cherokee Trailhawk
556 Posts
Just installed the Mopar Kicker speakers in a 2019 with the base 6 speaker system. While they generally sound better at lower volume levels the highs get rather harsh as you turn the volume up. I played with both the EQ and loudness. I've had to turn the mids all the way down and the highs almost all the way down.

I will be having an Alpine KTU455U Power Pack professionally installed on Aug 17th. I'm not sure if this will make the issue better or worse............
I suspect that you are asking more of those speakers than they can provide. I have that amplifier installed, but I have the gain set at about 1/4, but the RF speakers can handle more wattage. I have the EQ set at full low frequency, midway at the mid and full at the treble and it sounds good.

If they don't sound great without the amp, they won't sound better with it, is my thought.

121 - 134 of 134 Posts