2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

81 - 100 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
919 Posts
I used a Jantzen 20ga, it doesn't need to be heavy gauge (18ga would save <1dB of SPL compared to 20ga) and ya air core was easy to securely zip tie onto the basket. Got the speaker harnesses from Crutchfield. The dash and doors use different connectors.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I used a Jantzen 20ga, it doesn't need to be heavy gauge (18ga would save <1dB of SPL compared to 20ga) and ya air core was easy to securely zip tie onto the basket. Got the speaker harnesses from Crutchfield. The dash and doors use different connectors.
Do you happen to remember the correct harness numbers? I see only one listed for the front doors.. Which were for which?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yesterday's project was installing all six Pioneers. After a little help from a friend to get the front door panels off, installing the speakers was a breeze. I found a wiring guide online, cut off the factory plug in the door, and used used crimp connectors to connect the factory wiring to the pigtail that came with the speakers. This setup sounds so much better than the factory speakers it's not even funny! I still need to play with the EQ and front-to-rear balance a bit (it's sounding best to me with one or two clicks to the rear), but so far I couldn't be happier with the upgrade. Thanks halcaptain for confirming those speakers will fit!

·
Registered
447 Posts
Yesterday's project was installing all six Pioneers. After a little help from a friend to get the front door panels off, installing the speakers was a breeze. I found a wiring guide online, cut off the factory plug in the door, and used used crimp connectors to connect the factory wiring to the pigtail that came with the speakers. This setup sounds so much better than the factory speakers it's not even funny! I still need to play with the EQ and front-to-rear balance a bit (it's sounding best to me with one or two clicks to the rear), but so far I couldn't be happier with the upgrade. Thanks halcaptain for confirming those speakers will fit!
Any chance you can post the link to the wiring guide you used?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Any chance you can post the link to the wiring guide you used?
I pulled it up on my iPad while I was doing the install, and now I can't find the exact page I used. I remember the colors for the negative wire on each speaker though. This is for the factory six-speaker system.

For the front speakers (both dash and front doors), the negative wire is the one with the yellow stripe.

For the rear left door, negative wire has dark green stripe.
Rear right door, negative wire has grey stripe.

·
Registered
11 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
I desolder the factory speaker connectors (speaker side) and solder them to the new speakers, that way i could use the original harness.
Came out just fine and took about 40 min for all 6 speakers.

BTW what a freaking sound difference!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Fusseli,

I found the connectors. I was looking over the 3m Sound Damp vs others. You seem to be happy with your sound quality. Did you pull the large cover panel off and place the 3m inside the actual door or did you just place it ridht around the speaker and the inside of the speaker housing?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I ended up doing a Rockford Fosgate 3sixty.3 connected to a T1000-4ad & T600-4.

For the front doors I did a pair of T1675-s and in the rear doors a pair of P1692.

Then on the sub did a P3S-1X12. One of the easiest cars by far I have ever worked on and sounds worlds better.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I ended up doing a Rockford Fosgate 3sixty.3 connected to a T1000-4ad & T600-4.

For the front doors I did a pair of T1675-s and in the rear doors a pair of P1692.

Then on the sub did a P3S-1X12. One of the easiest cars by far I have ever worked on and sounds worlds better.

wow you went all out. :)
must sound pretty **** good. where did you put the amp?

i used my one year old GTO928 front and rear with Pioneer TS-A878 3 1/2 on the dash. need to tweak it but it sounds 7 1/2X better than stock already.

·
Registered
8 Posts
wow you went all out. :)
must sound pretty **** good. where did you put the amp?

i used my one year old GTO928 front and rear with Pioneer TS-A878 3 1/2 on the dash. need to tweak it but it sounds 7 1/2X better than stock already.
I haven't had time to do a nice full tune on it, but ya sounds excellent overall.

I put both amps and the 3Sixty in the spare tire well where the air pump is.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Fusseli,

I found the connectors. I was looking over the 3m Sound Damp vs others. You seem to be happy with your sound quality. Did you pull the large cover panel off and place the 3m inside the actual door or did you just place it ridht around the speaker and the inside of the speaker housing?
I didn't remove anything besides the door panel to get to the speaker. With the door panel off I got as much as I could onto the plastic and metal surfaces, there are some big patches here and there and especially the sides of the speaker bump out. Then I put the extra onto the door panel itself, the plastic rattles too so why not.

·
Registered
946 Posts
found the wiring diagram for a Wrangler. The speaker colors are the same at the Head unit. In the larger pin connector there is a group of 8 larger gauge wires, they are the Speaker wires on the base radio.
http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?TID=136218.
So in looking at that link, it mentions the subwoofer wires. I have a box with amp that I'll be swapping over to the Jeep.

Are those line-level inputs for the sub present on the base system too?

I'd love to tap into those instead of the door speakers. I assume there is some frequency cutoff stuff happening with a dedicated sub channel.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Did anyone use a LOC? If so, what did you hook the remote on wire to? That's like the last piece of upgrading this system I can't crack yet haha

·
Registered
140 Posts
I had it done by a pro. I have a guy. It takes a clean signal from the Uconnect head unit and passes it to a 4 channel amp and then to the speakers. The MS-8 has crossover tech built into it.
I ordered an MS-8 today. I'll be doing my own installation. Looking forward to the improved sound quality.

·
Registered
8 Posts
gotta ask... did you pull out the head unit to install the amp? if so how hard was it and did you run new wiring?
I pulled the radio out to run the wire, yes. For my setup I ran 4 pair of wires back to the 3sixty.3 so that it had all the signals to maintain fade. I then ran 6 pair back to the front to send signal out to each speaker. I ran everything active so that is why I ran 6 back to the front.

Level of difficulty is different depending level of knowledge on audio stuff. If you can do a 4ch amp in a car with no problems then it is no more difficult than that.

81 - 100 of 134 Posts