2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

New member here as I just received a 2014 Trailhawk. It's actually at the dealer getting a new transmission. The original lasted 22 miles. Long story there...

My TH has the 6 speaker base system and I want to upgrade the speakers and add a powered sub (perhaps an under the seat sub). I'm looking to make it easy on myself.

I have three questions concerning upgrading the factory speaker system.

1.) Has anybody found a harness location/connector yet for speaker leads?
2.) Has anybody found the location of the stock amp (if there is one) to swap out a newer, higher power unit?
3.) Has anybody found above average or better speakers other the Kicker speakers Mopar suggests that are an easy swap?

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'd wait. Why? You might have to worry about Lemon Laws in the future. (Then you can get the factory upgrade when/if you get another one).

My transmission leaked at 22 miles.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well they aren't fixing the problem, they are replacing the faulty trans and I'm not too worried about it.
I like everything about the car except for the speaker system. I would like to find an easy fix for the sound.

·
Registered
571 Posts
The 6-speaker audio system has an internal amplifier. Everything plugs into the back of the radio.

There are many threads discussing speaker upgrades for the base system, just poke around a bit. Door speakers are 6x9s, though 6.5" will fit with an adapter plate. Dash speakers are 3.5" I believe.

Crutchfield is a good website for information. They will also throw in adapter plates and harness connector kits to put new speakers in if you buy from them.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi,
I own a Limited and being not happy with the 6 stock speakers I replaced all 6 with Pioneer units I found on Amazon:

These 3 1/2 inch units fit in the dash: [ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00009QOTA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

These 6* 9 inch units fit in front and rear doors: [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-TS-A6965R-Series-Coaxial-Speakers/dp/B00A0LXRL8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1407606669&sr=8-1&keywords=Pioneer+6+9[/ame]

All are very reasonably priced and very good value for money I find. They are much sturdier, have a bigger magnet as well as poly cones.

The oem harnesses are different from the connectors on the Pioneer units, I know adapter harnesses exist, however I just spliced and soldered the wires together, of course bearing correct polarity in mind which can be easily determined using a 1.5 v battery on the stock units. The oem dash units have a capacitor on them, just bridge that in order to see the cone move. From there determine which wire is which in each location and take it from there.

Recommend to also get a prying kit to make panel removal easy and avoiding any damages. The door panel removal procedure can be found elsewhere in this form, I just followed that. Don't be afraid to use a little force to remove the panels but start at the bottom ends.

Very happy with the improved sound; especially when using music input other than xm as the compression really does affect the quality of the sound in my opinion. I found the conversion totally easy to do, done in under three hours, breaks and wife/ kids distractions included.
You may want to play around with the equalizer settings a bit.

Good luck with it.

Pioneer 3 1/2 inch dash unit

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I think I'll start with new speakers and then see if I want to add an amp. Seems like the easiest way to go. I sure wish there was a stereo harness under the dash to use but if I go the route of adding an amp, I'll locate the speaker wires and go with line inputs.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I was thinking the same thing however adding an amp to an integrated head unit seems
quite complicated involving more than just an amp.....I'd do the speakers first....think you'll be very happy with the results.
Yes, towards the high end of the volume there is some distortion but overall within normal volume ranges the amp in the head unit seems quite capable of driving these upgraded speakers throughout the audible sound spectrum, at least for a 48 yo.
Unless you're looking for the kind of bass that wakes up the hood with windows rolled down things are good with the existing amp. This afternoon I was listening to a live version of Pink Floyd's 'comfortably numb' that I have on my iPhone and i found it sonically very very pleasing.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Very nice. I got you by a few years and Pink Floyd deserves to be heard the way it was recorded, deep and thrilling...

One step at a time...

·
Registered
12 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Polks have high sensitivity which will help maximize the stock amp output.

Putting an external amp on a factory radio isn't really that hard. You either tap the stock harness or (if available) use a reverse harness adapter to get the speaker output. Most good amps have line level inputs. It's not completely ideal, but works pretty well. Just a lot of wire to run.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have the 9 spkr upgrade coming in my TH, however I am into audio upgrade threads, as I have done them on my Wrangler and Volvo C30. Do you by any chance have what the stock speakers resistance was?

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Hi,
I own a Limited and being not happy with the 6 stock speakers I replaced all 6 with Pioneer units I found on Amazon:
Question for you! How do you find the volume on the upgraded speakers without an amp? Ive been debating on just swapping out the speakers, though I don't want to lose any volume since max volume isn't all that loud to begin with. Eventually I'd add an amp, but at least I can get the ball rolling lol.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi,
I would say overall the volume level has stayed about the same with this upgrade. The big improvement is the quality of the sound all across the spectrum with much less distortion at higher volumes.
I have however rarely gone over volume setting 30 to be honest...
Since I have some time available and out of curiosity if it would yield further improvements
I have ordered this Alpine KTP445u compact amp. This would fit behind the glove compartment or near the blower. It is 4 Ch at 45 watts each. Probably a factor three over the built-in amp.
But again I am already very happy with the upgraded speakers.
Why don't you put in some new speakers and if your not satisfied then go the amp route?
I'll post something after I have put in the Alpine amp next week. In addition to that I am taking all door panels off to install some Dynamat, to insulate against road noise and reduce panel resonance...just an experiment.
Cheers.

1 - 20 of 134 Posts