2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2019 TH/E 2.0T
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a dual-zone 12v fridge (separate freezer and refrigerator) that fits "north-south" in the back of a Cherokee? I saw the Unique Appliances one, but it looks to be discontinued.

There are a lot of good dual-zone fridges out there, but none that would fit unless sideways. That would take up too much room for what I need.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts

·
Registered
2019 TH/E 2.0T
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep I have one. ICECO GO 20:

There are a bunch of other ones that are bigger too, this is the smallest one on the market.

If you mean one where it doesn't open up like a chest, then no there is nothing small on the market.
Saw that one. It's a bit too small for what I need.

The bigger ones are all around 30" long - too long to fit in the back of the Cherokee. Looks like about 29" is the limit, as long as it's not too high (around 17" or so).

Thinking about a Whynter 62 Quart Dual Zone Portable Fridge. It's at the capacity I want and I think it would fit (18.5 x 28 x 21 inches). The 28 inches is "iffy" at best, especially with the height at 21".

I've seen that the Costco Blizzard fits in back, and it's 29.6 in. x 16.1 in. x 16.1 in. It's that 16.1 in height that makes it fit. 21 inches of height is into my back glass at about 28 inches long. The Blizzard is a single-zone cooler (and sold out, so it doesn't matter anyway).

There are many single-zone refrigerator/freezers that would work, but I'm looking for that magical compact 40-70 quart dual-zone high-efficiency compressor coolers. So far my search turned up one (the Whynter), and even then I'm not sure it would fit. My tape measure says definitely maybe, but it would be close!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I know of another but am trying to find it.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Here it is. This is the one I wanted to get but it seems to only be available in italy. Instead of 20L is is 28L and has wheels and a handle that extends. I too wanted one similar size you want at 40L and I looked at everything and found nothing.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
There is one other I considered but decided it was more expensive than I wanted and it is 42Qt/40L, pretty sure this is the closest one you will find in the world for what you want.

25.5" x 14.3" x 20" excluding handles. With handles: 28.5" x 14.3" x 20"

·
Registered
2019 TH/E 2.0T
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That Engle MT45F is nice, but it's a single-zone fridge. It's a refrigerator that can be turned down to freezing levels.

By the way, does anyone know why "fridge" is short for "refrigerator"? Where did that "d" come from??? Oh well. Unrelated.

·
Registered
2019 TH/E 2.0T
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Oh, and another thing...

I see a lot of so-called "dual-zone" coolers that are nothing more than a single-zone cooler with a divider. In theory, the divider keeps the other side cold but not freezing. Don't think I read a single review that says it actually works that way. ARB, Dometic, Whynter, Iceco, and several others make true dual-zone 12v coolers. So I should ask you, @sqenixs, does the ICECO GO 20 truly freeze on one side and just stay cold on the other? Maybe the quality ones are better?

If anyone knows the actual maximum HxLxW of any type of box that fits north-sough in a 2019+ Cherokee, let me know. I suppose that's all I'm really after (though I was hoping someone has a cooler I haven't considered).

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
That Engle MT45F is nice, but it's a single-zone fridge. It's a refrigerator that can be turned down to freezing levels.

By the way, does anyone know why "fridge" is short for "refrigerator"? Where did that "d" come from??? Oh well. Unrelated.
That doesn't line up with the youtube videos I have watched about it.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Oh, and another thing...

I see a lot of so-called "dual-zone" coolers that are nothing more than a single-zone cooler with a divider. In theory, the divider keeps the other side cold but not freezing. Don't think I read a single review that says it actually works that way. ARB, Dometic, Whynter, Iceco, and several others make true dual-zone 12v coolers. So I should ask you, @sqenixs, does the ICECO GO 20 truly freeze on one side and just stay cold on the other? Maybe the quality ones are better?

If anyone knows the actual maximum HxLxW of any type of box that fits north-sough in a 2019+ Cherokee, let me know. I suppose that's all I'm really after (though I was hoping someone has a cooler I haven't considered).
Yes it gets colder on the one side that's why you can set the temp of both sides. I put a cup of water in each side and the freezer side froze and the other one did not.

·
Premium Member
3,600 Posts

I'll see if this one fits in the back of my cherokee. It fits in the back of my grand no problem

·
Registered
2019 TH/E 2.0T
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That doesn't line up with the youtube videos I have watched about it.
Can you share one? I looked at several and they all show a single compartment.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Reactions: KL14 and AZJeeper

·
Registered
1,002 Posts

·
Registered
2019 TH/E 2.0T
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's exactly what I'm looking for! That particular model is only sold in Australia and South Africa, but I found a similar one in the US.

More to follow...

·
Registered
2019 TH/E 2.0T
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I ended up ordering the Iceco 35VL with the 10L expandable top.

I added another "requirement" to my search - no more than 15" high. That way it will fit in my JK within my Tuffy security cover. So this one cooler will fit both vehicles - without the expandable top in my JK, and with it for the KL. So that gives me 37 qt base, and 48 qt with expandable top. The expandable top puts more height at the front of the cooler, away from the tailgate in the KL. The total length is 27.2" including the handles, and only 15.2" wide so it won't take up much of the KL's (or JK's) space. Perfect for what I need!

The bonus was a tip in the user's manual. It said it cools from the bottom up, so you can place frozen food in the lower basket and refrigerated stuff in the upper basket. Much like the single-zone coolers with a divider, but the "divider" is air (cold air sinks) and what fits in the lower basket. It's not the best, and nowhere near a true dual-zone cooler, but I'm sure it will work for what I'm using the freezer for. I'll probably stick a slab of insulated something between the two just to be sure it doesn't get too cold at the upper levels.

I'll post results when I get the cooler.

Reactions: Flybynightcru

·
Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav
909 Posts
By the way, does anyone know why "fridge" is short for "refrigerator"? Where did that "d" come from???
Actually, the Fridge predates the Refrigerator. A Fridge was a basic single zone unit at a temp of ~2C or 34F (think back to your dorm fridge), while the Refrigerator has a more powerful system and has a freezing compartment.
Over the years they just became synonymous. :cool:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Actually, the Fridge predates the Refrigerator. A Fridge was a basic single zone unit at a temp of ~2C or 34F (think back to your dorm fridge), while the Refrigerator has a more powerful system and has a freezing compartment.
Over the years they just became synonymous. :cool:
For those old enough to remember.....refrigerator used to be spelled refridgerator....and then....all of sudden...it wasn't. HA. Fridge...was the short nickname.

Reactions: Flybynightcru

·
Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav
909 Posts
LOL, actually it wasn't... The word 'refrigerator' has existed since the 1600s (it comes from the word 'frigid').
'refridgerator' would have been a miss-spelling, even in the early days, primarily due to people spelling things by how they sound, and this is how 'fridge' originally came about.
Not to worry, though, when I was a kid, I called it a 'refreezer'! ;)

·
Registered
2019 TH/E 2.0T
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
1 - 20 of 21 Posts