2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Jeep Cherokee Limited 4x4
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious...do you put it in Snow or another setting when driving through torrential downpours? Or just keep it in auto? I put it in snow so I know the 4x4 is active. But I'm sure the Jeep knows via wheel speed that the roads are slippery as heck so 4x4 is likely on anyway.

·
Registered
10,722 Posts
Just curious...do you put it in Snow or another setting when driving through torrential downpours? Or just keep it in auto? I put it in snow so I know the 4x4 is active. But I'm sure the Jeep knows via wheel speed that the roads are slippery as heck so 4x4 is likely on anyway.
I believe rain sensor puts you in AWD, so no need for Snow mode. But hey the dial is there, use it if it might help you feel safer. No harm. Personally I am in Auto all summer.

·
Registered
2021 Jeep Cherokee Limited 4x4
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe rain sensor puts you in AWD, so no need for Snow mode. But hey the dial is there, use it if it might help you feel safer. No harm. Personally I am in Auto all summer.
I never thought about the rain sensor. That makes sense. Tonight the commute home was brutal. Cars parked on the shoulder waiting out the rain....an F150 almost fishtailed out in front of me. I gotta say The Jeep did very well.

·
Registered
485 Posts
It doesn't hurt to use snow mode in heavy rain if you want. It will start you off in 2nd gear to avoid spinning tires. But yes the system knows when its raining due to sensors and will engage 4x4 during the rain. Though once the rain stops it may go back to fwd even though the roads are still wet/slick.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Isn’t there something when you use the wipers it goes into 4x4? I thought I remembered that from somewhere, but I might be nuts too…..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
399 Posts
Isn’t there something when you use the wipers it goes into 4x4? I thought I remembered that from somewhere, but I might be nuts too…..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I know that if you have the wipers in a constant speed setting (not intermittent), then as part of the RAB (Ready Alert Braking) system it will periodically apply light pressure to the brakes to dry them in the event of a sudden need to stop.

Reactions: arudlang

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
378 Posts
I use snow mode in those situations. I'm not sure if it automatically does it or not, but I like knowing the Traction Control is tighter than normal. I usually only use it when hydroplaning is a concern.

·
Registered
2019 TH/E 2.0T
991 Posts
I know that if you have the wipers in a constant speed setting (not intermittent), then as part of the RAB (Ready Alert Braking) system it will periodically apply light pressure to the brakes to dry them in the event of a sudden need to stop.
Close. Actually its the Rain Brake Support (RBS) you are thinking of.

From manual:

Ready Alert Braking (RAB)
Ready Alert Braking may reduce the time required to reach
full braking during emergency braking situations. It antici-
pates when an emergency braking situation may occur by
monitoring how fast the throttle is released by the driver.
The EBC will prepare the brake system for a panic stop.

Rain Brake Support (RBS)
Rain Brake Support may improve braking performance in
wet conditions. It will periodically apply a small amount of
brake pressure to remove any water buildup on the front
brake rotors. It functions when the windshield wipers are
in LO or HI speed. When Rain Brake Support is active,
there is no notification to the driver and no driver interac-
tion is required.

As far as AWD goes, I believe it is automatic regardless of windshield wiper setting.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Thanks! I always get RAB and RBS confused...it's not very often that we talk about either.

Reactions: AZJeeper

·
Premium Member
2,149 Posts
I just keep it in auto even in the snow. I use snow mode in ice, or if I think
there's ice under the snow. It goes no problem, but brakes are a different
story. The ABS works over time especially when in sport mode on ice for
some fun! LOL

Reactions: KL14

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
may I add to the mix ... I believe if it's cold enough we go into AWD mode as well, & there's no way to turn it off, even if the roads are clear? I don't mind, other than it uses more gas

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts
may I add to the mix ... I believe if it's cold enough we go into AWD mode as well, & there's no way to turn it off, even if the roads are clear? I don't mind, other than it uses more gas
That's also a myth it can be below zero Celsius and the vehicle will still go in to fwd mode at times

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
4,657 Posts
Jeez, how am I not dead after over 4 decades of driving through the weather??? "The Art of Driving in the Rain"??? Just effing GO, or park it, and get the hell out of the way!!!😎

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
I'd think snow mode in the rain is a bad idea. If I've understood it correct, snow mode makes the ESP less nannying to allow the tires to spin to get more traction in the snow. Allowing more wheelspin in rain seems counterproductive to me?

In auto mode the AWD system will, I believe, automatically engage the rear wheels whenever the front wheels detect lack of traction so like @XJ99 I always just leave it there unless I'm in actual snow or mud.

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
4,657 Posts
I never even had snow mode, or any mode before 2019...Just park, reverse, neutral, drive, and a couple lows, or manual 4, 5, 6, 13, or 18, and reverse...How did we ever survive???🤔😎

·
Registered
770 Posts
I never even had snow mode, or any mode before 2019...Just park, reverse, neutral, drive, and a couple lows, or manual 4, 5, 6, 13, or 18, and reverse...How did we ever survive???🤔😎
Sometimes here in the snow belt we had to throw a few bags of sand in the trunk of our rear wheel drive cars. :)

·
Registered
966 Posts
There's always a way to turn off the 4WD system in the KLs. Some though are less...conventional than others. ;)

Reactions: ArizonaFred
1 - 20 of 47 Posts