2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had this issue or am i missing a safety feature on when this "may" not be active?

Every once in a while I notice i cannot unlock my door via the handle grip sensor on either door, It seems to be after I either use the lift gate or sometimes after I lock it manually with the remote. I cannot seem to easily reproduce this its just very random and the jeep is brand new.

thanks if anyone has any info on this, I doubt its a bad sensor being both doors won't work when this happens and 8 out of 10 times its fine on both doors also

·
Registered
104 Posts
This has happened to me twice now. Yesterday I walked up to the car and grabbed the handle, nothing... pushed the unlock button on the key fob, nothing... it finally worked after a few tries, but then I go to push the "start" button, nothing. Ended up pushing the start button with the fob to get it to work. I thought the battery in the fob was dead, but then I tried it again without any problems. Everything has been working fine ever since. If this continues, I'll try replacing the battery in the fob. Anyone know how to do this?

·
Registered
111 Posts
This has happened to me twice now. Yesterday I walked up to the car and grabbed the handle, nothing... pushed the unlock button on the key fob, nothing... it finally worked after a few tries, but then I go to push the "start" button, nothing. Ended up pushing the start button with the fob to get it to work. I thought the battery in the fob was dead, but then I tried it again without any problems. Everything has been working fine ever since. If this continues, I'll try replacing the battery in the fob. Anyone know how to do this?
Have you tried switching to your second fob to see if that one does it too? To change the battery, slide out the key from the fob and you will see an indentation where you can put a coin and just gently twist and it should split apart.

·
Premium Member
5,396 Posts
Happens to me at times.
I have to nudge the door with my hip (FOB is in my pocket) for it to unlock.
Most of the time its fine.
Probably reception interference when it does happen.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
good to know its not just me

Its brand new and I have had the issue with both fobs so I don't "think" its a battery issue. I wonder if its related to either using connect app to lock the doors or something related to when you use the lift gate, that seems to be the times it happens but I cannot easily reproduce, its annoying but obviously not a big deal being I can just hit unlock on the fob and it works fine, lol

·
Registered
111 Posts
If the fob is behind your cellphone in your pocket or bag it will cause interference.

Does it only happen when you are parked in a specific place?
I was unable to use the fobs for about two weeks in the parking lot behind my condo (and only there) because apparently some strange radio waves were being emitted from somewhere in the area that were interfering with it. It only affected my cherokee and the dodge minivan rental they gave me, which I assume uses a similar system. As these were the only Chrysler products in the lot and everyone I asked in my building reported no problems with their fobs, I chalked it up to a weakness/susceptibility to interference of the Chrysler keyless setup. I mentioned as much to customer care and of course they denied that their system was anything less than perfect, but did say the inconvenience was "unfortunate". We even had a conversation about the definition of "susceptible" as they disagreed that was the proper term for the problem....

Anyhow, it cleared up just as randomly as it started... So maybe a solar flare or something...
Is there any construction or heavy machinery in the area?

·
Registered
227 Posts
This just happen to me yesterday night and this morning before going to work. I do not feel safe in a vehicle that does this. I'm calling my dealership to see if they have had problems like this before..This scared me when it happend..

·
Registered
277 Posts
My FOB button has never failed me, but the automatic detection has failed for both locking and unlocking several times. I chalk it up to interference and weak signal strength but I don't let it bother me because I'd rather the key work 95% of the time from 1 ft. for a long time than work from 6 feet away but only for 6 months because the battery runs out. :)

I recognize that there is a latency issue with this type of technology in order to save battery power.

·
Registered
134 Posts
It happened on three occasions with me. Two of those occasions I was parked directly in front of a 7-11 store (same one).

·
Registered
571 Posts
This just happen to me yesterday night and this morning before going to work. I do not feel safe in a vehicle that does this. I'm calling my dealership to see if they have had problems like this before..This scared me when it happend..
Over react much? I fail to see how this is a safety issue when you can still open the door with the unlock button on the fob or with the actual key that's embedded in the fob. It's certainly inconvenient and should be looked at by the dealer if it becomes a reproducible problem.

·
Registered
227 Posts
If my fob doesn't work to start the car..how is it going to unlock my door..read before you post rookie. Anyways it's a safety concern as to I cannot lock my belongings in my car therefore making it unsafe for me to store any valuables in there as it might get stolen.

·
Registered
571 Posts
If my fob doesn't work to start the car..how is it going to unlock my door..read before you post rookie. Anyways it's a safety concern as to I cannot lock my belongings in my car therefore making it unsafe for me to store any valuables in there as it might get stolen.
You can use either the lock button on the inside door panel, or the lock button on the remote if the pushbutton on the handle fails to work.

If the car doesn't detect the fob automatically inside the car, you can use the fob itself to push the Engine Start button, which should ALWAYS work (passive RFID). The procedure is outlined in the owner's manual, and by another poster in this thread.

I think the concern in this thread was unlocking automatically when you grip the handle, not locking the vehicle. Perhaps you should read before you post.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I clearly understand this thread sir but overall it's referring to the fob failing. Therefore what I said is relevant to the thread in which we are posting in. I'll take a gander in the real owners manual for what you just referenced. I've personally never heard of that.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't think its the fob failing being I can still use the fob to unlock via the button, remote start and lift gate all work fine, I think its more of the interference part or a proximity issue where the car at times is not seeing that I am close to the car therefore the passive unlocking via the handle would not work

·
Registered
571 Posts
Exactly. There are 3 functions to the keyless go fob.

1. Keyless go functionality - this is enabled with multiple short range antennas located throughout the car (by the doors, and in the interior). The fob actively transmits to these antennas. The distributed antennas allow the body computer to tell exactly where the fob is located (I.e. Passenger or driver side) and behave accordingly. Also, the body computer can tell when the fob is inside or outside.

2. Traditional fob functions with the buttons - this transmits a very powerful signal to a centrally located high gain antenna in the body computer. This on a separate frequency than the keyless go functionality, and is less succeptible to interference.

3. Passive immobilizer key functionality - this is what allows you to start the car if the fob battery is dead, or the keyless go functionality is being interfered with. There's a ring antenna located around the engine start button and a passive RFID chip embedded in the fob, just like the older immobilizer keys. When you press the start button with the fob, the fob is close enough to the ring antenna to activate the passive RFID chip and allow the computer to start the car.

·
Registered
111 Posts
If it is a strong persistent interference than the passive unlock/lock (door handle), fob remote buttons, and keyless push button start all will not work (as was my issue for a couple weeks). This seems to be an issue with chrysler's keyless system being susceptible to interference. I was forced to use the manual key to unlock and the fob against the push button to start it up, until suddenly the interference disappeared just as suddenly as it started. They were doing roadwork with a bunch of heavy machinery adjacent to my lot at the time, so there radios or maybe electrical lines they dug up were potentially the cause. However, only Chrysler products appeared to be affected.

·
Registered
18 Posts
This just happened to me tonight. Neither fob would respond, no fob buttons would work, and vehicle would not start without the 'fob push the start button' method. It is certainly annoying. I could see interference as being the issue, as this was in the parking garage of my apartment and there are plenty of sources of interference available, but it has worked fine for me since may...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone had this issue or am i missing a safety feature on when this "may" not be active?

Every once in a while I notice i cannot unlock my door via the handle grip sensor on either door, It seems to be after I either use the lift gate or sometimes after I lock it manually with the remote. I cannot seem to easily reproduce this its just very random and the jeep is brand new.

thanks if anyone has any info on this, I doubt its a bad sensor being both doors won't work when this happens and 8 out of 10 times its fine on both doors also
Yes, it's been happening on my 2014 JGC limited for several months now. It used to unlock immediately upon grasping the handle, but now I have to jiggle the handle and slide my hand all over the sensor trying to make it unlock. I even replaced the battery, thinking it may be the cause, as it is over 2 yrs old.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts