2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi got a 2016 Cherokee North 3.2l just got it in nov. 2020. like to get better ground clearance but dont want to void any guarantee. does anyone know if having a lift kit put in would void any warranty?

thanks in advance.

regards

H

·
Registered
2018 Latitude+. 2.4 AD1
1,153 Posts
This has been discussed in the past, and from what I recall, if the lift doesn’t cause the failure it should be covered. However, the dealer can say the lift strained the part, causing the failures. This is most likely going to come into play when you start talking suspension, drivetrain, etc. parts. If, for example, your air conditioning compressor goes out and is under some kind of warranty, the compressor would be covered regardless of the lift.

It really depends on the dealer and your relationship with them. I’m sure others will chime in. Enjoy your new to you ride!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
They WILL void your warranty for anything steering or suspension related and blame it on the lift. Bad ball joints? The lift kit caused extra stress on the ball joints, no warranty. Bad power steering pump? Lift kit caused extra stress and strain on the steering system, no warranty. I mean technically they have to PROVE that the lift kit actually contributed to the failure of said component, but they can AND WILL just automatically void the warranty and not cover it. Then you would have to get a lemon law attorney or someone that handles cases like this and fight to get them to cover it. And 9 times out of ten, the attorney fees will actually cost more than just paying to get your car fixed. So basically, pick your poison.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
There's a law, the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act, that governs warranties in general. With regard to aftermarket parts, if the part causes or contributes to a failure, the dealer may be able to deny your claim. The burden of proof is supposedly on the dealer.

Having said that, there are many (and I mean MANY) stories on this forum and the interweb about dealers refusing warranty coverage with even the slightest modifications. "Sorry, sir, but your aftermarket headlight bulb voided the warranty on your rear wheel bearings." OK, maybe not that bad, but close. Yes, they violated the law. But who can afford to challenge?

Best advice - if your dealer tries to deny a claim based on an aftermarket part, 1) first argue the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. When that fails, 2) find a better dealer!

I've had good experiences with dealer-shopping.

So to directly answer your question: "if having a lift kit put in would void any warranty?" Maybe. Maybe not. Completely dealer-dependent.

·
Registered
20 Jeep Cherokee Latitude Plus 4x4 2.4L
29 Posts
My Cherokee is out of warranty (3yr 36K), but I did find this on the MFC Offroad site when shopping for my lift kit.

View attachment 213371
I guess it just depends on the dealer, I stay in a big military town so everyone here is lifting their jeeps so I talked to my service manager (I purchased the MFC 2” lift) and he told me that as long as they install it they will cover any issues that caused by the lift.

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
7,991 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
There's a law, the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act, that governs warranties in general. With regard to aftermarket parts, if the part causes or contributes to a failure, the dealer may be able to deny your claim. The burden of proof is supposedly on the dealer.

Having said that, there are many (and I mean MANY) stories on this forum and the interweb about dealers refusing warranty coverage with even the slightest modifications. "Sorry, sir, but your aftermarket headlight bulb voided the warranty on your rear wheel bearings." OK, maybe not that bad, but close. Yes, they violated the law. But who can afford to challenge?

Best advice - if your dealer tries to deny a claim based on an aftermarket part, 1) first argue the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. When that fails, 2) find a better dealer!

I've had good experiences with dealer-shopping.

So to directly answer your question: "if having a lift kit put in would void any warranty?" Maybe. Maybe not. Completely dealer-dependent.

Pretty sure our Congress isn't passing laws that govern Canucks. Thank goodness for them.

I believe you have correctly stated American law, though.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Except that is not the warranty for the KL.
This is what the KL warranty states.
Based on the vague language there and comments in this thread, I'm guessing it's down to the "dealer's choice" situation. Do the mods and ride on...

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Pretty sure our Congress isn't passing laws that govern Canucks. Thank goodness for them.

I believe you have correctly stated American law, though.
Ahhh... Missed that little Maple Leaf in the OP's opening salvo. The Consumer Protection Acts in each province are the Canadian equivalent to the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. Same protections concerning aftermarket stuff.

Also found this online: "You can cite the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act in a Canadian civil action as it is based on English common law." So, in fact, Congress DID pass a law that can be used by Canucks! (even though they have their own).

The advice still stands.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
to answer the OP: I'd say to all intents and purposes it does void the warranty of anything even remotely related to the lift.

In real life its variable.

Of course since he bought a 2016.. it should be out of warranty anyway?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Anyone has any real life success stories in Northern NJ with lifts and warranties? I'm at a point where I'm considering a lift since I'm messing with the suspension anyway (got Bilstein B6, there's another thread with more details). My #1 reason against getting the lift is the possibility of warranty voidance, I have a 7 year Maxcare so a few more years left.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts