2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I stopped and got gas today. Once I restarted everything had metric units (km, C) but still gave the US reading (see picture, shows 213 C for coolant which would be 415 F). Also quickly gave a odometer reading of 1234567 or something like that before displaying the correct mileage (even though it says km). Going to let it rest and see and if not disconnect the battery. I already tried changing the units in the settings menu but no luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Started it up again and all was good. Hopefully it was a one time thing.

·
Premium Member
2,208 Posts
While in the MPH menu, just press OK.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Yeah, this happened to me the other day, but it was totally my fault.

Driving fairly normally, looked down and Holy Mackerel, I was going 100 mph. I looked around to look for other traffic (and cops!) and it occurred to me that I had somehow switched it to kph. Obviously my thumb just hit the OK button and switched it over. I was definitely shocked for a minute!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That was the first thing i thought but that wasn't it. If you look at the picture I posted it is showing a coolant temp of 213 degrees Celsius. Also notice the doubled up gear indicator. Anyway it has been all back to normal after resting, hopefully just a quick computer glitch.....hopefully.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Jeep looses its mind

So I stopped and got gas today. Once I restarted everything had metric units (km, C) but still gave the US reading (see picture, shows 213 C for coolant which would be 415 F). Also quickly gave a odometer reading of 1234567 or something like that before displaying the correct mileage (even though it says km). Going to let it rest and see and if not disconnect the battery. I already tried changing the units in the settings menu but no luck.
Totally different result but started the same way.
Bought gas, engine compartment gets heat soak, the battery voltage drops for a millisecond while starting the engine, the CAN busses won't let the computers communicate, at this point most anything can happen.
Get a free battery check someplace that gives you a printout of the results.
Compare the CCA with what the battery has on its label.
My battery was down to "the end of its useful life". Still worked fine, just waiting to die permanently.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the same incident. Double P and then Double D on the gear selector. It also switched to Metric. Car ran fine no problems. Shut car off at home,went back out restarted and was back to normal. This has happen to me twice within 1 month. No known reason? Will mention it to the Dealership next month. I also took a pic of it as you did.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Lots of discussion here on the sensitivity of momentary voltage drops on the KL. Starting after a hot soak is prime opportunity for this. The inexpensive Acel Battery Tester I previously posted on gives you very helpful printout of Battery health, especially if you have a previous one to compare with.

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
Lots of discussion here on the sensitivity of momentary voltage drops on the KL. Starting after a hot soak is prime opportunity for this. The inexpensive Acel Battery Tester I previously posted on gives you very helpful printout of Battery health, especially if you have a previous one to compare with.
This is the tester right here :[ame]https://www.amazon.com/ANCEL-Professional-100-2000-Automotive-Motorcycle/dp/B01M0ARG3X/ref=sr_1_12?keywords=battery+tester&qid=1553972105&s=gateway&sr=8-12[/ame]

^^ Was on my X-Mas list last year. Santa forgot about it... :crying: :wink:

Reactions: ArizonaFred

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
Took a quick look on Amazon Canada... $74.99... But, a $10 coupon offered, so, it's an early X-Mas for moi today :grin::grin:.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Great, ounce you play with it a bit, you will find it a very useful tool to have. Easy to spot a Battery that is performing well, but nearing it's end of life. Make sure to stash a copy of the BA101 file [3.41mb] off of the crappy little CD somewhere. Not available online.
Do some reading in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Have decide to just go to AAA or Batteries & Bulbs where I bought my battery every 6 months and have it checked for free.
I really like "free".
Just wish EVIC would provide battery information in "real time".
Does the intelligent battery sensor (IBS) provide useful information to the driver?
My 2014 TH does not have IBS.

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
Great, ounce you play with it a bit, you will find it a very useful tool to have. Easy to spot a Battery that is performing well, but nearing it's end of life. Make sure to stash a copy of the BA101 file [3.41mb] off of the crappy little CD somewhere. Not available online.
Noted, and downoladed. Many thanks ! :nerd::grin:

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
Have decide to just go to AAA or Batteries & Bulbs where I bought my battery every 6 months and have it checked for free.
I really like "free".
Just wish EVIC would provide battery information in "real time".
Does the intelligent battery sensor (IBS) provide useful information to the driver?
My 2014 TH does not have IBS.
I didn't realize the 2014s (or any KL without ESS no doubt) doesn't have an IBS. From the little I know about them, they report to the BCM only, nothing to the driver, except maybe the voltage number we see. A complex algorithm with charging current, load current, accessories running mixed in with other ESS required parameters are calculated ; nothing a driver could handle, or need, really...

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Holy Mackeral! 213 c will cook that engine burrito in no time! Also, 1,234,567 km is very impressive for an FCA vehicle (that's over 767,000 miles). :)

Guages don't lie, right?

Hope yours is a true GLITCH (Gremlins Lurking In The Computer Hardware). Ever happen again?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nope. Running fine since. When it goes in for service I'll bring it up but we all know that if it is not happening right then nothing will be done about it. Since its a 2019 I hope its not the battery but I may pick up one of those battery testers anyway.

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
I guess they heard you... haha :
http://www.anceldirect.com/products/2017/20170423/n2017042321244.html

^^Scroll down and you'll see the "Download" tab there. I grabbed the files : pdf manual + USB driver + printer software.

Cheers,

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Was hoping FCA would incorporate a sophisticated battery tester in EVIC rather than just reporting battery voltage.
Calculating and displaying CCA would be far more enlightening and useful to the driver.
Of course you need to know the CCA of the battery when new to do a proper comparison.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Reviving an old post, because this EXACT problem happened on my one-month-old 2021 Trailhawk. Out of nowhere I get a metric speedo, and other units show that they are in metric (i.e., Celsius, km on odometer), but the readings are clearly not metric. Also the gearshift display was PP DD.

This was the first day of cooler weather in Northern California (got down to low 40s last night), let's see if my battery is unhappy and maybe dying prematurely. As long as its under warranty, I don't mind.

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
Reviving an old post, because this EXACT problem happened on my one-month-old 2021 Trailhawk. Out of nowhere I get a metric speedo, and other units show that they are in metric (i.e., Celsius, km on odometer), but the readings are clearly not metric. Also the gearshift display was PP DD.

This was the first day of cooler weather in Northern California (got down to low 40s last night), let's see if my battery is unhappy and maybe dying prematurely. As long as its under warranty, I don't mind.
Hey there, welcome to the forum !

Well, I read this topic from the beginning, only to notice a few members posted about this exact problem, then none of them came back with an update. It appears their problem went away and never came back... or so I hope.

Keep us posted ;)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts