2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Cherokee Trailhawk Elite 4x4
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! First Time Poster here!! It's still snowing in Montana and when I brushed the two inches of snow off my Cherokee this morning I noticed that the passenger side wiper was very loose and seemed dislocated (like a shoulder???). Tried engaging the wipers from the inside and the passenger side didn't move. Can I fix this myself or do I need to make an appointment for the arm to be reattached? Thank you for any advice!

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
There is a little line on the windshield that shows where the wiper blade should 'sit'. Same color as the heater strips.
I am not sure, somebody here does, but usually you just push the arm down onto the splined shaft and tighten the nut.
There is a cover over the nut and shaft, maybe it works like the rear wiper, just pull the underside out so it will lift up.
Make sure the shaft really is still splined and make sure the hole in the wiper arm has not been reamed out.
You might need a new wiper arm. Don't over torque the nut or you might strip the threads.
I just made this up so wait for the real story or just give it a try.
Since I know I don't know what I am doing I just spend the big bucks at a Jeep dealer.
Probably a small local shop can do it correctly at far less price.
This is the closest I can find on the Internet:
Search our Forum, the answer is probably on here somewhere.
If there isn't then you can tell us how to do it. Take pictures or it didn't happen.
Good luck.

·
Registered
11,819 Posts
Hi! First Time Poster here!! It's still snowing in Montana and when I brushed the two inches of snow off my Cherokee this morning I noticed that the passenger side wiper was very loose and seemed dislocated (like a shoulder???). Tried engaging the wipers from the inside and the passenger side didn't move. Can I fix this myself or do I need to make an appointment for the arm to be reattached? Thank you for any advice!
Hi,

Could you show us some pictures please ? Thx.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Caused by using the wipers to clear snow/ice off the windsheild. It is a break away nut to keep from damaging the rod and motor. Just need to reset the wiper arm donw by the alignment mark and tighten the nut.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is a little line on the windshield that shows where the wiper blade should 'sit'. Same color as the heater strips.
I am not sure, somebody here does, but usually you just push the arm down onto the splined shaft and tighten the nut.
There is a cover over the nut and shaft, maybe it works like the rear wiper, just pull the underside out so it will lift up.
Make sure the shaft really is still splined and make sure the hole in the wiper arm has not been reamed out.
You might need a new wiper arm. Don't over torque the nut or you might strip the threads.
I just made this up so wait for the real story or just give it a try.
Since I know I don't know what I am doing I just spend the big bucks at a Jeep dealer.
Probably a small local shop can do it correctly at far less price.
This is the closest I can find on the Internet:
Search our Forum, the answer is probably on here somewhere.
If there isn't then you can tell us how to do it. Take pictures or it didn't happen.
Good luck.
Thank you! I called the local dealer and they told me their first opening to even look at it would be June 2. So instead I stopped into a local tire place (I had to make an appointment to get my studded tires off anyways) and the gentleman there used the back of a knife and popped the cover off the piece where the arm connected. Turns out the bolt underneath was loose, so he tightened it up and we're back in business! Took all of 3 minutes and he didn't charge me a dime. Shoutout to JR's Tire in Norris, Montana! Sorry, no pictures were taken while he did this fix (it was literally that fast)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If it's still under warranty, let Jeep fix it...😎
Thank you! I called the local dealer and they told me their first opening to even look at it would be June 2. So instead I stopped into a local tire place (I had to make an appointment to get my studded tires off anyways) and the gentleman there used the back of a knife and popped the cover off the piece where the arm connected. Turns out the bolt underneath was loose, so he tightened it up and we're back in business! Took all of 3 minutes and he didn't charge me a dime. Shoutout to JR's Tire in Norris, Montana! Sorry, no pictures were taken while he did this fix (it was literally that fast)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts