2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
Possible solution

hi all, I also had some wobbling at the front end for some time and it got pretty much resolved by a reprogramming of the electric power steering (EPS) yesterday.
Wondered if the EPS was a culprit. Brought it up in posts #3 and #23 of this thread. I don't recall any TSBs that include reprogramming the EPS module, so your report is interesting. There is a TSB about "Electric Power Steering (EPS) Module Connector Security" (http://www.wk2jeeps.com/Misc/Cherokee/KL_TSB/KL_19_001_17.pdf) but based on personal experience towing the KL behind a motorhome, if the EPS module loses power (e.g. connector comes loose), it can result in a true death wobble, given the right circumstances, that will not quit until the KL is brought to a complete stop. To deal with the KL being towed situation, FCA designed a flat-tow kit that keeps the EPS powered up when the ignition is turned off. The EPS includes a "shimmy mitigation" program running to counteract the wobble. Suspect that is used in lieu of mechanical forms of shimmy suppression like a hydraulic shock.

I've also wondered if the EPS programming had something to do with the half shaft caused wobble issue that was fixed using different half shafts. Maybe there have been some refinements lately in the EPS program code to compensate for looseness in vehicles with more mileage on them.

·
Premium Member
1,617 Posts
I mentioned this to the service tech working on my Jeep today. We'll see what he comes back with on a diagnosis and repair.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So this is something I've experienced on my old ZJ, but never would think this could happen on my new Cherokee with this style suspension

Driving at speeds of 50mph or higher on the highway, and hitting any type of bumps on a turn, I've been experiencing serious wobbling from the front end.

It is a continuous wobble until I have the wheel completely straight again. I am experiencing a ton of vibration from the front end and a shaky wheel. Very very unsettling

I've also noticed its progressing as time goes on. I have about 50,000 miles on it now and have wheeled it a good amount. Right now, I'm thinking it could be relative to bad struts?

Any thoughts or anyone else experience this before?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My 2014 trailhawk does the samething. It also does it in a straight line when I hit the right bump. I have put new struts,rotors , and tires on mine and it still does it. Took it two a front end shop and they could not find anything wrong. Hitting the brakes stops the shake, but it is still irrittating. I also would like to fix this.

·
Premium Member
1,617 Posts
This is a pretty old thread. For anyone that followed my 30+ dealer visits and multiple part replacements, the root cause was finally addressed after the RF strut shaft broke. Solution: new softer strut spring, new Dobinsons struts and new strut bearing caps. Now after 2 years and 50K miles, I'm starting to get a hint of said vibrations again, but it takes a very special set of circumstances to initiate said vibrations. Last time I was in for an alignment, the service guy thought my strut bearings were going bad. I tend to agree given the POS design. For now I'm just going to live with it since it only happens once every other month.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So this is something I've experienced on my old ZJ, but never would think this could happen on my new Cherokee with this style suspension

Driving at speeds of 50mph or higher on the highway, and hitting any type of bumps on a turn, I've been experiencing serious wobbling from the front end.

It is a continuous wobble until I have the wheel completely straight again. I am experiencing a ton of vibration from the front end and a shaky wheel. Very very unsettling

I've also noticed its progressing as time goes on. I have about 50,000 miles on it now and have wheeled it a good amount. Right now, I'm thinking it could be relative to bad struts?

Any thoughts or anyone else experience this before?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same problem
Would like to know what it is before I take it in

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is a pretty old thread. For anyone that followed my 30+ dealer visits and multiple part replacements, the root cause was finally addressed after the RF strut shaft broke. Solution: new softer strut spring, new Dobinsons struts and new strut bearing caps. Now after 2 years and 50K miles, I'm starting to get a hint of said vibrations again, but it takes a very special set of circumstances to initiate said vibrations. Last time I was in for an alignment, the service guy thought my strut bearings were going bad. I tend to agree given the POS design. For now I'm just going to live with it since it only happens once every other month.
When you went to the Dealership what did they say?
I'm under warranty how can I get this covered?
Thank you for any help :)

41 - 50 of 50 Posts