2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is something I've experienced on my old ZJ, but never would think this could happen on my new Cherokee with this style suspension

Driving at speeds of 50mph or higher on the highway, and hitting any type of bumps on a turn, I've been experiencing serious wobbling from the front end.

It is a continuous wobble until I have the wheel completely straight again. I am experiencing a ton of vibration from the front end and a shaky wheel. Very very unsettling

I've also noticed its progressing as time goes on. I have about 50,000 miles on it now and have wheeled it a good amount. Right now, I'm thinking it could be relative to bad struts?

Any thoughts or anyone else experience this before?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
349 Posts
So this is something I've experienced on my old ZJ, but never would think this could happen on my new Cherokee with this style suspension

Driving at speeds of 50mph or higher on the highway, and hitting any type of bumps on a turn, I've been experiencing serious wobbling from the front end.

It is a continuous wobble until I have the wheel completely straight again. I am experiencing a ton of vibration from the front end and a shaky wheel. Very very unsettling

I've also noticed its progressing as time goes on. I have about 50,000 miles on it now and have wheeled it a good amount. Right now, I'm thinking it could be relative to bad struts?

I honestly have no idea what it would be, but if it was my Jeep it would have been to the shop several thousand miles ago.

Has your warranty expired?

·
Registered
5,096 Posts

Have you read any of the threads here about people experiencing the death wobble while towing the Cherokee behind a motorhome? Sounds similar. There are quite a few stories on this problem. I've had it happen twice, but at speeds below 15 mph. The steering wheel violently swings back and forth. The only way to stop it is to come to a complete stop.

Anyway, I have a SWAG theory it is software related based on a Chrysler patent, and because the ignition is turned off while the KL is being towed, the software is not running to offset the death wobble. But in your case the ignition is on. Or it could be a side effect of the wheeling. Please keep us posted because if it's determined there is a failed ECU in your KL, that might confirm it is software related.

http://jeepcherokeeclub.com/402-transmission-discussion/109418-wobble-2nd-gear-35.html#post1623825

·
Registered
7 Posts
Get your front end alignment ASAP.

I can't find it now, but Hubby found a thread on on RV site about that death wobble while flat towing. It seems to be related to front end alignment (camber? toe in?) and it occurs in all kinds of toads (towed's), not just Cherokees. Apparently, while being flat towed, the car is more sensitive to certain alignment issues than it is while driving. If ignored for long enough, the problem will start to occur while driving.

Get thee to an alignment shop.

Reactions: Duke2015

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I honestly have no idea what it would be, but if it was my Jeep it would have been to the shop several thousand miles ago.

Has your warranty expired?

Unfortunately my warranty is expired and I have no desire to bring it back to the dealer

It will be going to a friends jeep shop soon, I just wanted to see if anyone has experienced this first

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have you read any of the threads here about people experiencing the death wobble while towing the Cherokee behind a motorhome? Sounds similar. There are quite a few stories on this problem. I've had it happen twice, but at speeds below 15 mph. The steering wheel violently swings back and forth. The only way to stop it is to come to a complete stop.

Anyway, I have a SWAG theory it is software related based on a Chrysler patent, and because the ignition is turned off while the KL is being towed, the software is not running to offset the death wobble. But in your case the ignition is on. Or it could be a side effect of the wheeling. Please keep us posted because if it's determined there is a failed ECU in your KL, that might confirm it is software related.

http://jeepcherokeeclub.com/402-transmission-discussion/109418-wobble-2nd-gear-35.html#post1623825

I have read pretty much read all the threads on people's wobble experiences.

I definitely feel like mine is something not relative. I'm feeling that it is some sort of front end suspension failure and hopefully will get it looked at soon

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Get your front end alignment ASAP.

I can't find it now, but Hubby found a thread on on RV site about that death wobble while flat towing. It seems to be related to front end alignment (camber? toe in?) and it occurs in all kinds of toads (towed's), not just Cherokees. Apparently, while being flat towed, the car is more sensitive to certain alignment issues than it is while driving. If ignored for long enough, the problem will start to occur while driving.

Get thee to an alignment shop.

While that is definitely an option to be looked out, my vehicle has never towed or been towed before. From eye sight view, camber looks straight on but yes I will definitely have them do that after the suspension has been checked out.

·
Registered
6,359 Posts
A death wobble is real scary. I was driving my son's 2001 Wrangler on the freeway years ago when he still had it, and wow, the death wobble DOES get your attention!!

·
Registered
833 Posts
I thought each jeep had factory warranty was 5 years or 10k miles, how is anyone on this forum out of warranty already?

·
Registered
349 Posts
I thought each jeep had factory warranty was 5 years or 10k miles, how is anyone on this forum out of warranty already?
There are two warranties on the Cherokees.

3/Yrs - 36K - Bumper to Bumper

&

5/yrs - 100K - Drive Train (2014 - 2015)
5/yrs - 60K - Drive Train (2016)

Reactions: Array

·
Registered
1 Posts

Well Alex its happening to me too, I've got 61,400 miles and its been going on for a little while maybe 10k or 15k miles ago was when it started. I just recently changed the front two tires rotated the backs up front which had very good tread left. I had the shop I trust mount and balance the OEM Firestone Destination A/T Tires tires from tire rack and install on the rear. So I asked him to check out the front end and he said there were no apparent issues with the struts upfront or anything, so now I am deciding where to go for an alignment, in NJ there are a few trustworthy alignment places like STS or others. I must say the other thread "Front End Wobbling" is pretty compelling since they talk about an "axle redesign" because I would have to bet this is the advanced case of the ailment. I would like to message and dissect this with your input in our fare state of NJ.

Reactions: RexKL14

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well Alex its happening to me too, I've got 61,400 miles and its been going on for a little while maybe 10k or 15k miles ago was when it started. I just recently changed the front two tires rotated the backs up front which had very good tread left. I had the shop I trust mount and balance the OEM Firestone Destination A/T Tires tires from tire rack and install on the rear. So I asked him to check out the front end and he said there were no apparent issues with the struts upfront or anything, so now I am deciding where to go for an alignment, in NJ there are a few trustworthy alignment places like STS or others. I must say the other thread "Front End Wobbling" is pretty compelling since they talk about an "axle redesign" because I would have to bet this is the advanced case of the ailment. I would like to message and dissect this with your input in our fare state of NJ.

Interesting. Just PMed you

·
Registered
833 Posts
There are two warranties on the Cherokees.

3/Yrs - 36K - Bumper to Bumper

&

5/yrs - 100K - Drive Train (2014 - 2015)
5/yrs - 60K - Drive Train (2016)
ty Leck,

also what are the differences and what do they cover?

Why is the 2016 not also 100k like that 14-15s?

·
Registered
349 Posts
ty Leck,

also what are the differences and what do they cover?

Why is the 2016 not also 100k like that 14-15s?
Here you go - http://www.jeep.com/en/warranty/

As to why they reduced it? I am assuming it was done to save money and come in line with what everyone else is offering in the industry. Why spend money on clients by extending the warranty when most of your clients will buy your vehicles anyways?

Reactions: Duke2015

·
Registered
833 Posts
I think it is super cool that we 2014 and 2015 owners got a better deal :D

even the msrp for the same trims went up in price in 2016

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have read pretty much read all the threads on people's wobble experiences.

I definitely feel like mine is something not relative. I'm feeling that it is some sort of front end suspension failure and hopefully will get it looked at soon

Alex, I realize it has been a while since you posted this about your front end wobble, but my 2015 Trailhawk is experiencing the exact same symptoms. When traveling at higher speeds (50+ MPH), if I hit a slight bump in the pavement while making a gentle turn either left or right, the front end starts to wobble in a way that reminds me very much of the Death Wobble of old. My Cherokee's got 44K miles on it - of course it is now out of warranty on the suspension.

I don't see any other posts about symptoms like this, so I'm wondering what you found was the real cause of the problem, and what you had to do to get it resolved. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
948 Posts
Here you go - http://www.jeep.com/en/warranty/

As to why they reduced it? I am assuming it was done to save money and come in line with what everyone else is offering in the industry. Why spend money on clients by extending the warranty when most of your clients will buy your vehicles anyways?
for 5 years

I wasn't thrilled either that they reduced the powertrain warranty from 100,000 to 60,000, but both warranty's are only for 5 years anyway, and for many people that 5 years was going to come way before the 100,000 miles. So it really isn't that much of a change except for people who really put on a lot of miles.

·
Registered
96 Posts
MY MY14 TH did this once, I was basically rolling down a slight hill with a slight LH bend in it doing about 80kph so 50 mph.

front end of the car shaked like nothing else so I broke carefully and the wobbles stopped, I swapped to a MY16 TH shortly afterwards so never investigated it.

I had a lift on the car and it had done about 30000 kms and got rid of it at 33000 kms.

interesting to hear the other issues

·
Registered
40 Posts
My 14 TH did this just the other day. I was on a rough road and the wobble just kept getting worse and worse until I slowed down. I've never experienced anything like it before. It felt like the Jeep was coming apart. I do know my alignment is out a bit but I'm waiting on the HS lift before I get it straightened out.

·
Registered
96 Posts
My 14 TH did this just the other day. I was on a rough road and the wobble just kept getting worse and worse until I slowed down. I've never experienced anything like it before. It felt like the Jeep was coming apart. I do know my alignment is out a bit but I'm waiting on the HS lift before I get it straightened out.
got more details of the road
speed
turning or not
hill or flat ect.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts