2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I don't have the tools or workspace to install the 2" lift kit myself so I took it to my dealer. They stated they've installed tons of lift kits before. I gave them the box which included the MFC 2" kit, the rear wheel centering kit, and a printout for the instructions to both.

When I arrived to pick it up, I definitely could tell that they installed the lift kit. However, the rear wheel looked pushed forward and not centered at all. I went back in to ask them about it and the guy I was working with said the mechanic who did the install had left for the day. He assured me that everything was installed.

I got into an argument with him saying there is no way the rear wheels were centered so I asked another mechanic to check and see if there are spacers between the trailing arm and the bolt and he said no.

I had them write up a note and sign it, stating that they would work with the mechanic when he comes back on Monday to make sure he installed it and to double check. Am I crazy? Check out the photo.

Is there a photo someone could provide, of the those rear spacers installed, so I can compare to what they claim they've done?

There's no room for me to upgrade my tires if that rear wheel is so close to the well. Defeats the purpose of the kit.

(2019 non-TH AD1)
1602942253203.png

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Crazy is a good thing, keep after them.
When they think they are done put it up on the lift in the quick lube area so you can check everything for yourself.
Be sure to keep all of the old parts and instruction sheets.
Take pictures.

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
If you're on an AD1 KL, your rear wheels will come forward for sure. You would need the offroad trailing arms to center the wheels more. The rear wheel centering kits will help bring them back toward the rear 0.5" at best, so barely noticeable.

Reactions: m4rk0

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you're on an AD1 KL, your rear wheels will come forward for sure. You would need the offroad trailing arms to center the wheels more. The rear wheel centering kits will help bring them back toward the rear 0.5" at best, so barely noticeable.
Oh good to know. Where do I get those?

·
Registered
26 Posts
The rear wheel centering kit is on the same website you got the lift kit from. Many reviews of people needing them.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Yes, I bought it and provided it to the dealer to install.
Well, it should be pretty easy to crawl under there and see if it was installed. I guess we haven't determined if your Cherokee is ADI or ADII?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Here's mine after a few days of settling

·
Registered
15 Posts
On rear tires,, I have 2 1/2 in to front of liner and 3 1/2 in to rear

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah I just checked after looking at the instructional photos from MFC. They are there. Apparently, the ADI doesn't center as well.

·
Registered
639 Posts
IIRC there are also replacement arms that can be installed to center the wheels.

245/65r17 will fit without a lift.. and lifting doesnt provide much additional clearance.
the tires rub on the front and back on the liner.
lifting doesnt affect that much vs stock.

What size were you considering?
ADII and trailhawk will fit some 245/70r17 with no rubbing..

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have the AD1 and purchased the Dobbinson suspension kit. I ordered the mfc rear wheel centering kit. But in order to get the rear wheels totally centered on the AD1 you need the trailhawk rear trailing arms! There’s a link somewhere on here if anyone can point him to it it would be great ?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
IIRC there are also replacement arms that can be installed to center the wheels.

245/65r17 will fit without a lift.. and lifting doesnt provide much additional clearance.
the tires rub on the front and back on the liner.
lifting doesnt affect that much vs stock.

What size were you considering?
ADII and trailhawk will fit some 245/70r17 with no rubbing..
I was told that any tire that is 30.5" or less would work without modifications but I'm not sure that's correct. I have a 2019 Altitude edition ADI which comes with 18" wheels (225/60/18). I was looking at some Nitto Grapplers that are 265/60/18 (30.5") but those seem really wide (1.57" wider). I can't imagine those would actually work up front without the weld pinch mod.

I was chatting offline with Scorp and mentioned the 255/60/18 Nittos but those also seem quite wide (1.18" wider).

Now I'm leaning towards a more moderate size 245/60/18 Toyo A/T III (29.57" but only 0.79" wider). There's also the General Grabber AT2 at 255/60/18 (30" but 1.18" wider). Not a ton to work with for 18" rims.

·
Registered
639 Posts
the ad-I wheels are also different offset than trailhawk wheels.. so the fitment is not exactly the same.
which matters little as all tires are not exactly the same dimensions despite the same numbers on the sidewall
ie 245/70r17 in 2 different brand/models.. one might fit fine.. the other rub bad.

best advice have them test fit 1 tire for rubbing before proceeding with all 4.
245/60r18 is the same size as stock trailhawk as far as width and height. so it would have fit fine without the lift.. however, you might need those trailhawk arms to fix the centering before they fit right with the lift.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
This thread has me concerned that the TH arms might not even help. Some folks with ADI installed them with no effect. Might just try a slightly larger off-road tire and see what happens.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I believe these lift kits have been around long enough, with enough discussion that those individuals who build and sell these kits should have the information regarding the different platforms and what effects one can expect along with what other items may be required to do a satisfactory lift.
I did not read that these where a KL TrailHawk only lift, Just KL platform.
The offset in the rear is unfortunate and In my opinion, unacceptable in this application. I hope you find a solution you can live with.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts