2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks-

2016 75th here w/ 45k on the clock. 3.2l w/ ADII.

Noise started about a week ago. Sounded similar to when you have rusted brake parts or dust shield bent and rubbing on rotor, but not quite as loud. I replaced my brakes last summer so that seemed strange. Pulled all wheels to inspect calipers everything looked good. Spun the wheels in the air and no noise. Sound is very similar to what others here described in posts regarding center bearings/drive shaft issues. This whirring, slight grinding noise is present at take off and up to around 30 mph when the road noise starts to drowns it out. Seemed like a slam dunk from what I read.....however.....I did what others suggested and pulled the PTU fuse and to my surprise the noise still is present. Seems to come from the front end, maybe more to the passenger side.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
My drive shaft made a dull noise. I don't think it is a bad drive shaft.
Did you use the proper grease on the caliper slides?
Other than that I don't have a clue.
Maybe you can find somebody with a chassis dynameter.
Serpentine belt tensioner?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So after zeroing in on this sound all day it is definitely driveline related, not brakes. When I put it in 4low it sounded 10 times worse. The sound is in concert with revolutions of the drives shaft. Dealer is getting it next week. Hoping the powertrain warranty comes through.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
So after zeroing in on this sound all day it is definitely driveline related, not brakes. When I put it in 4low it sounded 10 times worse. The sound is in concert with revolutions of the drives shaft. Dealer is getting it next week. Hoping the powertrain warranty comes through.
That is probably best. If you can try to get video proof of the sound, and or actual issue, it will sure help your case, and the chances of getting the old "We can't replicate it" song and dance spin from the dealer. Good luck, and keep us posted...😎

1 - 4 of 4 Posts