2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

A few weeks ago I purchased a new 2021 KL Trailhawk. Overall I'm liking the vehicle but I've had some issues that I'm having a hard time getting any help with from dealerships and I'm curious if this is to be the expected norm from Jeep.

When I left work the night that I bought the vehicle, I was walking to the parking lot and noticed that the headlights were extremely foggy looking, almost like looking through the glass of a smokers vehicle. At first I thought that it may have been just on the outside but when I looked closer it was clearly haze on the inside of the lense. The passenger side has verticle lines/scratches inside and multiple pieces of hair or fuzz inside as well. Looking around, I see that this isn't uncommon and that most of the time the dealerships won't do anything about it, so I just decided to let it slide, despite the obvious quality control issue there.

Less than a week after bringing my Jeep home, I was doing my first hand wash and noticed several obvious paint defects. A dozen dust nibs under the paint of the door sill/kick plate area that flaked off when I ran a microfiber across it, leaving dotted holes. I was going to cover them up anyway, so whatever. Outside of the vehicle I noticed a paint bubble coming loose under the headlight, a very obvious defect on the driver side door that just got painted over leaving the paint very thin over it. There was also what looked like a hole in whatever the sealant looking stuff was between the passenger side panel and the roof. Whatever, I figured I'd let it slide since the dealership is more than an hour away and getting it taken care of would have likely been a hassle.

A few days later, driving down the highway someone in a pickup in front of me was missing a tailgate and hadn't tied down his payload, and a plastic pipe rolled out bounced off the road and hit my bumper. Minor damage, a little dent on the main plastic facia and on the little grey trim inset piece. No big deal, plastic is cheap, I'll just make an appointment with a more local dealership and pay to replace it.

I arrived at the dealership and the service center lady tells me that since they aren't a body shop, they can't help me replace the bumper. And that no Jeep dealership in Florida will be able to help me. Odd, that is specifically what I set me appointment up for, but sure. While I had her outside looking at my vehicle, and since I was already at a dealership, I pointed out the other issues with the paint, headlights and the obnoxious door rattling. She agrees that they are unacceptable quality issues, but that I have to take it back to the selling dealership that is more than an hour away to have them look at it since they should have caught the issues during their PDI. Ok, that's going to be a hassle, but whatever. Not buying her story about no dealerships being able to replace my bumper, I decided to swing by another local dealership on my way into work.

I go into the service department of the next dealership, explain my bumper issue, the guy says no problem, go over to the parts department and order the replacements and we'll take care of it. I order the replacement, paid for it and ask the parts guy about setting up an appointment to have it installed when the parts come in. He tells me that they won't install it, and that I'm on my own as far as getting it installed...but make sure I bring back my old bumper for the core charge. Also, he knows a guy who can install it at a body shop down the road. The bumper is obviously just basic plastic but I ask him if the small inlay trim piece comes painted, or if thats why no dealerships will replace it...he doesn't know. I ask him if he can find out, he says no. If i need to get it painted, is there a paint code for that trailhawk grey color...he doesn't know. At this point I'm annoyed that I've gone to 2 dealerships who refuse to do basic work to my brand new vehicle, and I need to get to work.

I decided enough was enough and emailed the manager at the dealership I bought the Jeep from, the ones who had been pestering me several times per week to fill out the survey that was supposed to have been emailed, that I never received. I reminded him yet again that I still did not receive the survey, and explained the issues with my vehicle that the other dealerships said they should have caught. Issues that I was previously going to let slide, but given the amount of annoyances I'd had dealing with Jeep dealerships as a whole, I wanted them taken care of. The only one he would even acknowledge were the paint issues, and that I would need spend several hours of my time to drive there on the single day of the week that they have a body guy there. He ignored the headlights and rattling issues, and my issues with getting dealership help getting the bumper replaced.

I've dealt with several dealerships in several states over the years. Ford, Nissan, Toyota, VW. Hell, my last 3 vehicles all came from the same dealership. All of them have always bent over backwards to service my vehicles and never had any problems doing anything to a vehicle that I asked for, including what is apparently the nearly impossible task of replacing a bumper/headlights. It was always a, "sure, just bring it in. We'll take care of it". So I'm having an extremely hard time understanding the difficulty I'm having with Jeep dealerships.

I have to ask, is this this the typical Jeep quality and dealership experience? At this point I'm so soured on my initial experience with the brand that I can't say that I would ever purchase another.

Attachments

·
Registered
219 Posts
How many miles were on it? That honestly looks like a paint respray which screams it was in some kind of accident. Manufacturers paint their cars in complete temp/humidity/air filtered systems, so to have nay dust numbs and then to get passed at final paint inspection is very unlikely. Then to add how that headlight looked jsut adds to the something aint sitting right factor.

Defiantly make some noise at the dealership. You can also try to contact JeepsCares on the forum but honestly dont expect alot out of them. They pretty much act as a in-between contact between you and the dealer but they can open a case and try to get things rolling.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How many miles were on it? That honestly looks like a paint respray which screams it was in some kind of accident. Manufacturers paint their cars in complete temp/humidity/air filtered systems, so to have nay dust numbs and then to get passed at final paint inspection is very unlikely. Then to add how that headlight looked jsut adds to the something aint sitting right factor.

Defiantly make some noise at the dealership. You can also try to contact JeepsCares on the forum but honestly dont expect alot out of them. They pretty much act as a in-between contact between you and the dealer but they can open a case and try to get things rolling.
It only had 10 miles on it when I purchased it. Interior still had plastics on the headrests, etc.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Doesn’t mean it wasn’t f’d up getting off the truck, or in the first 10 miles. I’d be screaming.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
219 Posts
It only had 10 miles on it when I purchased it. Interior still had plastics on the headrests, etc.
Sounds like the dealer did not do the correct dealer prep on it. When the dealer gets a car there is a list of things they "should" do as a final quality control check, which also doubles as getting the car ready for the lot. This includes checking for any damage, removing all shipping protectors and plastics from the exterior and interior. IT varies for cars for other things like cars with tires 19+ usually get shipped with steely wheels and the big wheels get shipped to the dealer and installed at the dealer. The big thing i hate that they do is they do a quick detail to wipe down windows and apply tire shine on the inside, and apply a quick wax to make it look shiny.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Keep in mind I bought a used 2017 Grand Cherokee at another mfg.'s used car lot.

At first I noticed the paint looked really thick on the sides.

It has what looks to be factory pin stripes, front to rear, over the top of the thick black pearlcoat paint.

While its first time thorough vacuuming out, by me, under the front passenger seat, I found a thick paper shipping invoice copy stuck into the lower cushions springs.

It's the details that were the kicker -

Shipped from - Detroit Michigan

Shipped to - Home Town Dealership here in Florida

Shipping Date - 2019

While its possible it was privately shipped for whatever reason . . .

It could be my JGC was returned to the factory, who knows what was done, then returned back to the original dealership.

That's what I suspect .

Then I bought it used in 2020 with less than 30K on it.

In your case, a NEW vehicle with all those issues and the dealer won't address them, Not to mention what they imply, I would think you're justified in returning it and finding another brand.

What a sticky wicket that would be, but facts is facts, as they say.

There's many, many to choose from, GOOD LUCK !

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like the dealer did not do the correct dealer prep on it. When the dealer gets a car there is a list of things they "should" do as a final quality control check, which also doubles as getting the car ready for the lot. This includes checking for any damage, removing all shipping protectors and plastics from the exterior and interior. IT varies for cars for other things like cars with tires 19+ usually get shipped with steely wheels and the big wheels get shipped to the dealer and installed at the dealer. The big thing i hate that they do is they do a quick detail to wipe down windows and apply tire shine on the inside, and apply a quick wax to make it look shiny.
The Jeep was filthy when I was test driving it. The sales guy said it just came off the truck a couple of days before I drove it. It had dirty "tears" all over the front that looked like it had rained on road grime and streaked down from the emblems etc., so I'm not sure how well they really went over it when they received it. By the time the paperwork was done a few hours later, it was "cleaned" and they rushed me out the door. I needed to head to work anyway. I noticed in the parking lot at work that there were black scuffs all over the front passenger side that looked like someone had smeared something dirty on the white paint. They may have been there already, but it was hard to tell since the front end was so dirty when I looked at it. I was able to remove them with some ONR and some very gentle magic eraser rubbing, so they were no big deal.

The black plastic trim around the fenders were kind of marred up as well, and the rear passenger one has one end that looks like it won't stick down all the way, but I figured mostly minor issues. The first lady I talked to at the local dealership said those and the abnormally recessed fuel door (.25 of an inch recessed on the hinge side) were normal. The inside definitely felt like someone had used half a bottle of Armor All on it. I'm still finding spots of it that I missed getting removed so I can stop ending up with greasy palms every time I touch any surface of the interior, lol. Thats my fault for not catching them in time to tell them to leave it alone.

I went to pick up the bumper pieces today, and the lady in parts department was wondering why I wasn't having them installed there at the dealership instead of trying to fit the giant box in the back of the Jeep. (it didn't fit) I explained to her that I was told they wouldn't do it and she seemed bewildered as to why. She said that they install lift kits and other aftermarket parts right there at the dealership all the time, and replacing a stock bumper should be no problem. She suggested I talk to one of their scheduling supervisors on Monday, as she didn't see any reason they couldn't install it. Though they may have to send out the smaller inset piece to get painted since it only came primed.

·
Premium Member
1,643 Posts
It's just a bumper cover. Yes the can install one because they had to
remove mine and re-install it when they did the OEM tow harness.....

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have to ask, is this this the typical Jeep quality and dealership experience? At this point I'm so soured on my initial experience with the brand that I can't say that I would ever purchase another.
Yes and yes. While I love my Jeep’s, the dealer network is the biggest let down. I‘ve yet to find a dealer that can diagnose or solve an issue without multiple trips, a ton of headaches, and lots of arguing.

·
Registered
46 Posts
If the dealer in question doesn’t have a body shop on site, they can’t paint the bumper, and so while they could technically install it, the parts that should be painted would just be smooth, unfinished black plastic.

·
Super Moderator
4,187 Posts
It literally comes down to your dealer. I have a fantastic dealer in Virginia that doesn't bat an eye when I take my JK in. I had the alternator replaced last week, even though it's clearly been caked and drowned in mud.

Does Florida have a law or a specific division of labor between body shops and mechanics? Only reason I ask is because of what the first dealer told you: no dealer in florida will work on the body.

My experiences with Jeep dealers have been pretty "regular", but the two I've used the most were very easy to work with, and was never given any kind of hassle.

Sent from my HD1925 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello,

A few weeks ago I purchased a new 2021 KL Trailhawk. Overall I'm liking the vehicle but I've had some issues that I'm having a hard time getting any help with from dealerships and I'm curious if this is to be the expected norm from Jeep.

When I left work the night that I bought the vehicle, I was walking to the parking lot and noticed that the headlights were extremely foggy looking, almost like looking through the glass of a smokers vehicle. At first I thought that it may have been just on the outside but when I looked closer it was clearly haze on the inside of the lense. The passenger side has verticle lines/scratches inside and multiple pieces of hair or fuzz inside as well. Looking around, I see that this isn't uncommon and that most of the time the dealerships won't do anything about it, so I just decided to let it slide, despite the obvious quality control issue there.

Less than a week after bringing my Jeep home, I was doing my first hand wash and noticed several obvious paint defects. A dozen dust nibs under the paint of the door sill/kick plate area that flaked off when I ran a microfiber across it, leaving dotted holes. I was going to cover them up anyway, so whatever. Outside of the vehicle I noticed a paint bubble coming loose under the headlight, a very obvious defect on the driver side door that just got painted over leaving the paint very thin over it. There was also what looked like a hole in whatever the sealant looking stuff was between the passenger side panel and the roof. Whatever, I figured I'd let it slide since the dealership is more than an hour away and getting it taken care of would have likely been a hassle.

A few days later, driving down the highway someone in a pickup in front of me was missing a tailgate and hadn't tied down his payload, and a plastic pipe rolled out bounced off the road and hit my bumper. Minor damage, a little dent on the main plastic facia and on the little grey trim inset piece. No big deal, plastic is cheap, I'll just make an appointment with a more local dealership and pay to replace it.

I arrived at the dealership and the service center lady tells me that since they aren't a body shop, they can't help me replace the bumper. And that no Jeep dealership in Florida will be able to help me. Odd, that is specifically what I set me appointment up for, but sure. While I had her outside looking at my vehicle, and since I was already at a dealership, I pointed out the other issues with the paint, headlights and the obnoxious door rattling. She agrees that they are unacceptable quality issues, but that I have to take it back to the selling dealership that is more than an hour away to have them look at it since they should have caught the issues during their PDI. Ok, that's going to be a hassle, but whatever. Not buying her story about no dealerships being able to replace my bumper, I decided to swing by another local dealership on my way into work.

I go into the service department of the next dealership, explain my bumper issue, the guy says no problem, go over to the parts department and order the replacements and we'll take care of it. I order the replacement, paid for it and ask the parts guy about setting up an appointment to have it installed when the parts come in. He tells me that they won't install it, and that I'm on my own as far as getting it installed...but make sure I bring back my old bumper for the core charge. Also, he knows a guy who can install it at a body shop down the road. The bumper is obviously just basic plastic but I ask him if the small inlay trim piece comes painted, or if thats why no dealerships will replace it...he doesn't know. I ask him if he can find out, he says no. If i need to get it painted, is there a paint code for that trailhawk grey color...he doesn't know. At this point I'm annoyed that I've gone to 2 dealerships who refuse to do basic work to my brand new vehicle, and I need to get to work.

I decided enough was enough and emailed the manager at the dealership I bought the Jeep from, the ones who had been pestering me several times per week to fill out the survey that was supposed to have been emailed, that I never received. I reminded him yet again that I still did not receive the survey, and explained the issues with my vehicle that the other dealerships said they should have caught. Issues that I was previously going to let slide, but given the amount of annoyances I'd had dealing with Jeep dealerships as a whole, I wanted them taken care of. The only one he would even acknowledge were the paint issues, and that I would need spend several hours of my time to drive there on the single day of the week that they have a body guy there. He ignored the headlights and rattling issues, and my issues with getting dealership help getting the bumper replaced.

I've dealt with several dealerships in several states over the years. Ford, Nissan, Toyota, VW. Hell, my last 3 vehicles all came from the same dealership. All of them have always bent over backwards to service my vehicles and never had any problems doing anything to a vehicle that I asked for, including what is apparently the nearly impossible task of replacing a bumper/headlights. It was always a, "sure, just bring it in. We'll take care of it". So I'm having an extremely hard time understanding the difficulty I'm having with Jeep dealerships.

This vehicle has obviously been damaged. You should have been made aware of this before sale. I had same problem with a PT Cruiser. Contact FCA directly, INFO IN OWNERS ManuaL. Good luck. FCA will correct this.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I agree with everybody here. These are dealer problems, but here are my stories. When I picked up the car it had a minor paint flaw on the hood that obviously occurred during the factory paint job. As a Buddhist I let it slide to remind me that nothing is perfect -- look exactly the same after three years. The car developed a rattle and my service dept was great. They fixed it 3 times and test drove it 3 times while I waited, obviously the first two times didn't fix it but they noted that on the invoice. At least they didn't let me test drive it on the way home as most dealers do. They installed rock rails on my Jeep and it looks like it came that way from the factory that way. I put a dent in the black plastic bumper and took it to them. They don't do body work but recommended a place that fixed it while I waited. I think they just heated it up and pushed it out so I can't tell tell I screwed up. My girlfriend has an Audi with the painted bumpers and hit a post in a garage. We took it to these same guys and they did an amazing job. We now have these guys on speed dial. Anyway, The dealer has the obligation to deliver you a new car that is without defects, or fix the defects to new. I would contact Jeep directly for those problems. I do agree with the post that said if you take it off road you're probably going to pick up a lot of battle scars so find a good body shop that specializes in small repairs. Most usually give a discount for cash. Keep us posted.

Reactions: Flybynightcru
1 - 15 of 15 Posts