2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
reading how to date a battery & looking at my Mom's 2002 Camry battery, has me scratching my head
95 yr old Dad is in rehab. I'm going w/ 92 yr old Mom for the NY state inspection Friday. Dad thinks it needs a new battery, so we might ask for one the same day, but I can certainly put one in, at another time. service ctr probably can look up the last time he bought one there (if it was the same place)
but I'd like to know in advance, how old it is. not critical just curious
I know it doesn't help that the bracket is covering some of the numbers but I was rushed last week after doing a bunch of other things like pumping up the tires that were waaaaay low
Automotive tire Font Material property Automotive wheel system Plant

Font Signage Brand Graphics Carmine

Font Publication Wood Signage Rectangle

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
1,019 Posts
Its not in any of those pictures. It might be under the clamp, but it could also be on the side of the battery. Just have it load tested and they can check State of Health and let you know if you need a new one.

·
Registered
12,017 Posts
Hmmm. It's not showing. Some batteries have a heat stamp along the top edge, or high up on one side.

Yeah best to have it load tested (for health).

Reactions: rumrunner

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys, I looked on the sides for other tags, etc but didn't see any. I'll ask on Friday. thanks again!

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
fwiw - created an account at Toyota.com, added the 2 cars in my name & my parents car above. looked up their service history. found a battery replacement in 2014. haven't found another. so if it's actually from 2014, then yeah, it's got to go ... hahaha

·
Registered
12,017 Posts
fwiw - created an account at Toyota.com, added the 2 cars in my name & my parents car above. looked up their service history. found a battery replacement in 2014. haven't found another. so if it's actually from 2014, then yeah, it's got to go ... hahaha
Just out of that 7 year warranty... too bad ! ;)

Reactions: rumrunner

·
Registered
580 Posts
Honestly it may give a few more years of service. Toyotas are pretty easy on batteries especially the older ones. Not many high draw items and the engines are super easy to spin over. In HS my friend had a 1996 Camry 4 cylinder. He was stuck at home with a dead battery. He had the idea of he would pop in a riding mower battery his dad had laying around in the garage. I told him he was crazy and it wouldn't work but it actually turned over the 4 cylinder with little issue. He used that mower battery for 2 days until he got paid LoL! I owed him dinner on that one.

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Honestly it may give a few more years of service. Toyotas are pretty easy on batteries especially the older ones. Not many high draw items and the engines are super easy to spin over. In HS my friend had a 1996 Camry 4 cylinder. He was stuck at home with a dead battery. He had the idea of he would pop in a riding mower battery his dad had laying around in the garage. I told him he was crazy and it wouldn't work but it actually turned over the 4 cylinder with little issue. He used that mower battery for 2 days until he got paid LoL! I owed him dinner on that one.
good to know! our Son is now driving my Dad's '94 Camry!

·
Registered
12,017 Posts

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'd still get it tested...😎
battery checked out. it's good. installed in 6/9/2020. I musta missed it scanning the service history. however, the car did get a water pump, drive belt & rear brakes. new coolant & new brake fluid. & oh yes, the $40 annual state safety inspection sticker. gave us a loaner for 1/2 day so we could run errands. brand new Camry w/ less than 250 miles & Apple CarPlay. Mom was annoyed with the directions from the WAZE app. but then, who isn't?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts