2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
I used the upper 2 holes on the left side to grab the end of the flexible fish tape and pull it out with a small piece of wire with a hooked end on it- I ran it twice attached a string to it and pulled it back through and in the middle tied two strings together and left enough in the middle to be able to pull through the center hole if it needed to be guided when I pulled the picture wire back through, I ran the fish from the left side rear window down to the top hole and then I did a second run from the rubber grommet from the top center of the door- I can get more phots later if that would help.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I just got the two channel camera... any recs on how to get the rear one neatly installed? 2020 TH

·
Registered
219 Posts
All I can offer is that the best way to route the cable is along the roof edge - ie. instructions will tend to show the cable taken down to the carpet down the A pillar and then back along the floor line - but it's MUCH easier and shorter to route along tucked up over the edge of the roof liner - same as you'll be taking it from just above the front camera out to the A pillar - ie. just continue with that method along the tops of the doors and rear cargo area etc. I rolled up the excess cable on top of the roof liner just inside the rear edge and put the end of the cable out thru the flex grommet with the other cables and wiring to reach the inside of the hatch itself.

Be careful of the roof liner edges that you dont cut ur fingers (it's not so much getting cuts that's the issue - it's getting blood stains all over the place).

That rear flex grommet passthru is THE hardest part of the whole deal! Probably try a length of heavy poundage fishing line - maybe doubled over to give blunt end conducive to pushing thru without hanging up - to push thru the grommet and then pull the cable thru with.

The 2014/15 rear window liner has a rectangular panel at the top that pops off and gives access to run the cable easily to the cam - with a half round groove easily put in the window edge of that trim panel for the cable to extend thru there and to the camera - but I think the 2020 has a different window trim setup? Even if you have to pop the whole trim out it shouldn't be awfully difficult.

The other thing to pay attention to is final positioning of the camera mount inside the rear window - ie. watch you dont end up with a demisting element right in the middle of the lens field. It wont block the image but it'll be permanently slightly blurred.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I used the upper 2 holes on the left side to grab the end of the flexible fish tape and pull it out with a small piece of wire with a hooked end on it- I ran it twice attached a string to it and pulled it back through and in the middle tied two strings together and left enough in the middle to be able to pull through the center hole if it needed to be guided when I pulled the picture wire back through, I ran the fish from the left side rear window down to the top hole and then I did a second run from the rubber grommet from the top center of the door- I can get more phots later if that would help.
Made an account for help here because I can't for the life of me figure this one out (2019 Model). Cord is all the way through the rubber bellows and into the hatch, but I just don't understand how you can get the cord then to the rear windshield since there is the glass gasket all the way around it. I really feel like I'm missing something here.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'm gonna stop by best buy or the dealership in the next couple weeks and ask them if they can run my rear camera for me

·
Registered
99 Posts
Sorry I just caught the thread here- I bough a cheap fish kit from amazon- and then used a combination of insulated wire and string to get mine through- it took a of patience and poking around- I also used a pick set with a right angle and circular hook on the end to catch the pieces that came through- I'm super happy with the outcome but it took longer than I wanted.

·
Registered
94 Posts
If they get it done, can you post pictures of how they manage to get through the trim on the hatch?
yeah I will try to remember. I was gonna call Best Buy this week. my buddy went and said they would only charge $60 to run the cable. I just got busy and then the ski resorts opened soooo......

Reactions: igda6
21 - 28 of 28 Posts