2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum and had just recently made the jump over to Jeep!

I'm in the process of hooking up a 2CH dahscam (BlackVue DR900S-2CH) to my 2019 Cherokee Trailhawk and have hit a road block when I got the rear camera cable to the liftgate area. I was able to route the cable through the headliner up to the rear edge of the ceiling but I'm unsure of where to take it next.

I have searched through some of the other forum posts here and have found that some of you are routing the cable through the rubber hose in the center of the liftgate and then have it come out of the back window trim to the camera. The road block I hit though is that I can only seem to find other posts from older (pre-2019) Cherokees which seem to have an easily removable window trim where as with the 2019 it looks like the trim is all one piece and covers the entire back portion including where the hinges are attached to. The plastic trim is also a hard, solid piece of plastic with absolutely no give so I can't pull it back just enough to even feed the cable through.

I've attached some photos to give a visual of how the trim looks. Hopefully someone else has run into the same issue with the 2019 and has come up with a solution.

My only idea right now is to drill a small hole in the plastic window trim just between the window edge and the rubber hose so that I could have the cable pop out of the trim just before it connects to the camera. I would like to keep the wires as hidden as possible, especially near the liftgate.

Thanks for any help or tips and tricks you guys might have. :grin:

Attachments

·
Registered
219 Posts
That "Grommet Bellows" is a grommet at each end - ie you can easily pop it out at each end to help feed ur cable thru - and then you might be able to bore a hole in the plastic trim (I'd use step drill) closer to the window then backfeed a stiff plastic rod (thinking rc car antenna tube) or even a straightened coat hangar - to take ur cable from the door trim grommet hole to that hole? You could use a wiring grommet to tidy up that entry point.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Don't bother removing the spoiler. The only way is to drill a hole. Be sure to not get too close to the glass as to hit it. You'll never notice the small hole once you're done with the install.

·
Registered
70 Posts
For my rear lights I went through the rubber grommet and then popped out the round grommet to the right and fished the wires over. I then used a fish tape to make the turn and go under the trim to the bottom of the window.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'll post a couple of photos for what I did- I was able to use some string a fish tape and fine wire to pull the cable through for my Garmin Dash Cam mini that I am installing in the rear, this $30 kit has most of the components to do the job- especially the short fish tool [ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WVVZP3X[/ame] I used one of the small pry tools to get the roof trim/gasket back so I could get the power wire for the garmin through the grommet bellows- the trick to get it across from the hold in the hatch to the center windshield was a bit of work- I removed the plastic cover from the drivers side right below the lift motor and was able to get a string in the to end of the fish and pull it back through in steps by using the little holes behind the panel and after pulling string through with the fish I pulled picture wire back through and pulled the camera wire with that. I haven't had time to get the inside panels off so I can run the dedicated power wire- I'm thinking I should have just bought the blackvue setup that I installed for my wife with two cameras and wired to the odb2 port for power. The garmin 66w for the front and the Garmin Dash Cam mini for the rear with the dedicated parking wiring. Both cameras are now mounted just need to get the wires run for switched power-

the $30 kit from amazon has some slick little tools for getting the plastic panels and panel keepers off with out doing any damage

Attachments

·
Registered
219 Posts
That "Grommet Bellows" is a grommet at each end - ie you can easily pop it out at each end to help feed ur cable thru - and then you might be able to bore a hole in the plastic trim (I'd use step drill) closer to the window then backfeed a stiff plastic rod (thinking rc car antenna tube) or even a straightened coat hangar - to take ur cable from the door trim grommet hole to that hole? You could use a wiring grommet to tidy up that entry point.
It looks like the entire inner surround on that trim setup should pop out - and then you should see everything right there.

I should have mentioned earlier - that when it came time to actually do mine, I found our 2014 TH has a piece of trim that just pops off right there in the center above the window - which made bringing the cable thru very easy - and I just used a round file to make a "notch" in the centre of that panel where it presses against the glass at the top of the window to bring the cable thru to the camera.

Here are pics of my front and rear cameras in place. The cable with tag coming to the front cam is the rear camera. The VIOFO cam slides off it's base plate so you can take it to a pc to download video files off it.

Our vehicle is RHD of course - and the camera itself is totally invisible to the driver - ie. ends up with zero visibility footprint.

I have yet to replace the USB power cord with the hardwire kit - which has constant power and ign on power connections so movement sensor parking mode can be used. I just need to get hold of a circuit indicator light so I can try and find suitable fuse sockets to go into at the BCM fuse panel behind the coin drawer.

Oh and a hint for those with that center trim panel - actually this will apply to any panels: to facilitate snapping the panel back in place, put masking tape across the joins on each side (then cut the tapes carefully at the joins) or just put pieces of tape each side of the joins - and make alignment marks to help with realigning the panel for putting it back in place - you'll be amazed how much that helps with getting bloody alignment studs and snap clip pins to all go together nicely. I used pencil to mark ours (rubbed off after the photo below was taken) - but using tape would be a better way to go.

Attachments

Reactions: GCWIMMER

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Thanks for the step X step, good pro job.

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
It looks like the entire inner surround on that trim setup should pop out - and then you should see everything right there.

I should have mentioned earlier - that when it came time to actually do mine, I found our 2014 TH has a piece of trim that just pops off right there in the center above the window - which made bringing the cable thru very easy - and I just used a round file to make a "notch" in the centre of that panel where it presses against the glass at the top of the window to bring the cable thru to the camera.

Here are pics of my front and rear cameras in place. The cable with tag coming to the front cam is the rear camera. The VIOFO cam slides off it's base plate so you can take it to a pc to download video files off it.

Our vehicle is RHD of course - and the camera itself is totally invisible to the driver - ie. ends up with zero visibility footprint.

I have yet to replace the USB power cord with the hardwire kit - which has constant power and ign on power connections so movement sensor parking mode can be used. I just need to get hold of a circuit indicator light so I can try and find suitable fuse sockets to go into at the BCM fuse panel behind the coin drawer.

Oh and a hint for those with that center trim panel - actually this will apply to any panels: to facilitate snapping the panel back in place, put masking tape across the joins on each side (then cut the tapes carefully at the joins) or just put pieces of tape each side of the joins - and make alignment marks to help with realigning the panel for putting it back in place - you'll be amazed how much that helps with getting bloody alignment studs and snap clip pins to all go together nicely. I used pencil to mark ours (rubbed off after the photo below was taken) - but using tape would be a better way to go.
Unfortunately the 2019+ doesn't have that interior panel that can be removed, as it's all part of the door.

·
Registered
99 Posts
The pictures I posted and what I did were on a 2019, I have the camera wire in place and will use a little rtv to hold the wire behind the trim, I need to wire up the fatter connects behind the panel now

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
The pictures I posted and what I did were on a 2019, I have the camera wire in place and will use a little rtv to hold the wire behind the trim, I need to wire up the fatter connects behind the panel now
Ok, I wasn't sure if you had a 2019+ or not.

That panel on the side was another option I thought as well, but wasn't sure how much you would be able to access through there. Keep us posted on your progress, and completed pictures.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I'm referring to the 2019 - ie. where earlier models like mine have the smaller pop off panel it looks like the 2019 might have a one-piece panel right round the window? - which might pop out and pop back in fairly easily?

·
Registered
99 Posts
On the 2019 I couldn’t find any way to get it off it also seems to be under the bolts that hold the door to the hinges. I was just able to fish it around the outside

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
I'm referring to the 2019 - ie. where earlier models like mine have the smaller pop off panel it looks like the 2019 might have a one-piece panel right round the window? - which might pop out and pop back in fairly easily?
The only part of the 2019+ tailgate that can be removed from what I can tell is the lower half of the interior panel. The part up around the window is all part of the structure, and not removable.

·
Registered
219 Posts
The only part of the 2019+ tailgate that can be removed from what I can tell is the lower half of the interior panel. The part up around the window is all part of the structure, and not removable.
D-amn! :frown:

·
Registered
99 Posts
It took a lot of patience to fish mine all the way around I haven’t had time to go through and finish the wiring

·
Registered
32 Posts
@Trailfirst
No front or rear (back up) camera on MY 14 TH, but I see them on others. I have found a kit on eBay for approx $200 (give or take). Has anyone installed one themselves? Any suggestions? I haven't bought it yet, kinda nervous about it. I don't wanna have it done by a pro due to the labor but I don't wanna shade tree doin it either...make sense? Anybody got any light to shed?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'll post a couple of photos for what I did- I was able to use some string a fish tape and fine wire to pull the cable through for my Garmin Dash Cam mini that I am installing in the rear, this $30 kit has most of the components to do the job- especially the short fish tool https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WVVZP3X I used one of the small pry tools to get the roof trim/gasket back so I could get the power wire for the garmin through the grommet bellows- the trick to get it across from the hold in the hatch to the center windshield was a bit of work- I removed the plastic cover from the drivers side right below the lift motor and was able to get a string in the to end of the fish and pull it back through in steps by using the little holes behind the panel and after pulling string through with the fish I pulled picture wire back through and pulled the camera wire with that. I haven't had time to get the inside panels off so I can run the dedicated power wire- I'm thinking I should have just bought the blackvue setup that I installed for my wife with two cameras and wired to the odb2 port for power. The garmin 66w for the front and the Garmin Dash Cam mini for the rear with the dedicated parking wiring. Both cameras are now mounted just need to get the wires run for switched power-

the $30 kit from amazon has some slick little tools for getting the plastic panels and panel keepers off with out doing any damage
After a bunch of trial and error, I first attempted to drill a small hole in the window trim in the center just above where the rubber hose grommet connects to the tail gate. Unfortunately the position I chose ended up hitting something directly underneath the outer composite trim. Not knowing exactly what is underneath the window trim I didn't want to drill any further without damaging whatever is below. I have given up on drilling holes to feed the wire through. Luckily I started with a smaller drill bit so it's not as noticeable.

I saw your post about fishing the cable around the window inside of the trim but I was only able to find a route from the rubber grommet to the small holes near the lift gate motor arm. I was able to get a string to the same hole as you showed in your attached photos but couldn't find a route to keep it going to the window. The gap between the window and the trim along the vertical side of the trim is big enough for me to feed my wire through but there seems to be something stopping my feeding wire when I try to find a path. Do you remember which way you routed the wire from your last photo you shared?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts