2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Added a dash bar for accessory mounting. Got the radio installed already, waiting on other mounting components to arrive. While I was at it, I also added some extra USB power and switches for future lighting projects.

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Woah! That is an awesome idea. I did the ram mount solution to that cubby that fits my phone and such. I have always thought how awesome it would be to have some sort of power stored in that cubby. I would love to hear how running the wiring to it was.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wiring was pretty simple, just removed the radio and climate panel in the center and ran everything down through the firewall port under the brake pedal. The real bear was all the plastic trimming.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Wiring was pretty simple, just removed the radio and climate panel in the center and ran everything down through the firewall port under the brake pedal. The real bear was all the plastic trimming.
First time I took off that panel (only a few months into owning the vehicle) and I broke an orange (or was it blue) clip. Found out later you cannot buy the clip (it was removable since it was meant to break instead of the plastic dash cover) and needed to buy a whole new plastic dash piece. And they are only like $300. Yay for stupid parts decisions.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's actually a really good point. For some reason I assumed the airbag deployed from the seam between the dash and the glove box. Just watched an IHSS video and it definitely comes out the top of the dash. Will be reworking this install on the passenger side. Thanks!

·
Registered
341 Posts
That's actually a really good point. For some reason I assumed the airbag deployed from the seam between the dash and the glove box. Just watched an IHSS video and it definitely comes out the top of the dash. Will be reworking this install on the passenger side. Thanks!
Sure thing! And thanks for not taking my comment the wrong way. I think what you've done is an awesome idea, but I'm just thinking through some potential pitfalls because I don't want to see anyone get hurt. I would probably just implement it a bit differently should I do it.

Another point to note, and I really don't think it would be an issue, is that the trim from the A-pillar is designed to blow off when the side-impact SRS is deployed. Even though it looks like there is only a tether on the bottom end and not actual air bags, I'd hate for the end of the bar to be so close to the A-pillar trim that it doesn't deploy as designed.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Gotta say I was intrigued by the "bar" in the title, but I was thinking of something else. ;)

What is that silver knob-looking thing at the top of the uconnect?

Reactions: AtlCade69

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Parts list and some install photos:

8" Microgrip Rod (Matthews MICROgrip Rod (8")) (qty: 2)
Clamps (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XWTL7LC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) (qty: 2)
3/4" EMT Conduit (Home Depot) - cut to size, think mine is 32" or something like that
1" OD Tube caps (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F5X2DZ4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1) (qty: 2)
Switch Panel with USB Outlets (optional) (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08KT8M11F/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

Loooots of plastic cutting and shaping on that dash console, so make sure you're committed before you start cutting, especially if you're going to add the switch panel.

The bracket on the drivers side dash that's tied into the speaker cover is a 3D printed piece. I just sent a friend the dimensions of what I was looking for and he mailed it to me. Basically, 1" opening for the EMT with ~4" leg -> 27 degree bend -> another 1" leg. Drilled out the end over the existing speaker screw and tied into that to give the bar a little more stability.

·
Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav
360 Posts
That bracket reminds me of the 'fish sticks' on my Gary Fisher Joshua Z0 MTB!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts