2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Recently got stuck in a bit of water and started getting a rough idle with stalling and a code for the crankshaft pos sensor on my 2014 Cherokee Trailhawk with the 3.2l V6. I got the replacement part but have had no luck locating it on the engine can anyone else help?

Thanks!
Jack

· Registered
8 Posts
Jack, I realize this is a very old thread but did you ever find where the sensor is? A scan told me I need to replace. I purchased a Haynes manual but that turned out to be a POS, no help at all. I removed my front skid plate and I think I found it but I can't figure out how to reach it!
(2014 Cherokee Trailhawk 4x4 3.2L)

· Registered
2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
409 Posts
Jack, I realize this is a very old thread but did you ever find where the sensor is? A scan told me I need to replace. I purchased a Haynes manual but that turned out to be a POS, no help at all. I removed my front skid plate and I think I found it but I can't figure out how to reach it!
Got this on a quick google search.

· Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
8,739 Posts
This video is a Wrangler with a 3.6, but it should be exactly the same...😎

· Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for replies guys. I had already view both of those videos before I posted my question. The 3.6 is much more open and therefore easy access to the crankshaft position sensor. As for the other video, I'm pretty sure that is a front wheel drive 3.2. I have a 3.2, 4x4, Trailhawk. I'm pretty sure I found the sensor (see photos) and there is no way I can get to it without removing the transfer case. My Haynes manual even says that as well.

The bad thing is that I've been chasing a misfire. First scan said "Most likely solution" was an O2 sensor. I knew it was an expensive route but I went ahead and swapped all four O2 sensors. Next scan "Most likely solution" was ignition coil and spark plugs. Since I had replaced all six spark plugs, coils, and intake plenum gaskets about a year ago, I thought it might be the injectors. I removed and cleaned all injectors. I also replaced the o-rings on each injector. Still misfiring. Latest scan's "Most likely solution" Replace crankshaft position sensor. Though here is the odd thing. The print out of the scan reads "Replace Crankshaft Position Sensor (CKP)" but right below of that reads "Suggested Parts: 1, Camshaft Position Sensor".

I'm at a loss.

Human body Automotive tire Bird Automotive wheel system Snout

Hood Automotive lighting Headlamp Bumper Gas

· Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for replies guys. I had already view both of those videos before I posted my question. The 3.6 is much more open and therefore easy access to the crankshaft position sensor. As for the other video, I'm pretty sure that is a front wheel drive 3.2. I have a 3.2, 4x4, Trailhawk. I'm pretty sure I found the sensor (see photos) and there is no way I can get to it without removing the transfer case. My Haynes manual even says that as well. The bad thing is that I've been chasing a misfire. First scan said "Most likely solution" was an O2 sensor. I knew it was an expensive route but I went ahead and swapped all four O2 sensors. Next scan "Most likely solution" was ignition coil and spark plugs. Since I had replaced all six spark plugs, coils, and intake plenum gaskets about a year ago, I thought it might be the injectors. I removed and cleaned all injectors. I also replaced the o-rings on each injector. Still misfiring. Latest scan's "Most likely solution" Replace crankshaft position sensor. Though here is the odd thing. The print out of the scan reads "Replace Crankshaft Position Sensor (CKP)" but right below of that reads "Suggested Parts: 1, Camshaft Position Sensor". I'm at a loss. View attachment 220767 View attachment 220769
Thanks for replies guys. I had already view both of those videos before I posted my question. The 3.6 is much more open and therefore easy access to the crankshaft position sensor. As for the other video, I'm pretty sure that is a front wheel drive 3.2. I have a 3.2, 4x4, Trailhawk. I'm pretty sure I found the sensor (see photos) and there is no way I can get to it without removing the transfer case. My Haynes manual even says that as well. The bad thing is that I've been chasing a misfire. First scan said "Most likely solution" was an O2 sensor. I knew it was an expensive route but I went ahead and swapped all four O2 sensors. Next scan "Most likely solution" was ignition coil and spark plugs. Since I had replaced all six spark plugs, coils, and intake plenum gaskets about a year ago, I thought it might be the injectors. I removed and cleaned all injectors. I also replaced the o-rings on each injector. Still misfiring. Latest scan's "Most likely solution" Replace crankshaft position sensor. Though here is the odd thing. The print out of the scan reads "Replace Crankshaft Position Sensor (CKP)" but right below of that reads "Suggested Parts: 1, Camshaft Position Sensor". I'm at a loss. View attachment 220767 View attachment 220769
I'm having the same problem it is located on the back of the motor on the bottom in a real real tight squeeze probably like an inch between the motor and the transmission did you ever figure out how to fix it

· Registered
13,166 Posts
I'm having the same problem it is located on the back of the motor on the bottom in a real real tight squeeze probably like an inch between the motor and the transmission did you ever figure out how to fix it
Hi,

Do you have a Grand Cherokee by any chance ? Cherokee engines are transverse, so transmission not at the back... This forum is Cherokee only.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts