2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

Registered
2019 Trailhawk
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I'm digging this skidplate for the RDM, and I think it's one of the best investments you can make if you do any serious offroading. I'm sitting here contemplating pulling the trigger right now, but that's a lot of money, and I don't push my Trailhawk to the limits, as I have dedicated offroad toys for those situations. Definitely a nice armor setup though for sure...馃槑
Rear XO Sub-Frame Skid Plate for the 2014-2023 Cherokee KL
Yes, the XO skid plate looks fantastic. Like you, I don't really plan on going hardcore the with Trailhawk. However, I'm a huge fan of being prepared. Well, overprepared if I'm honest. With the increasing complexity of these newer vehicles, there are more limits in what we can realistically repair on the trail. Better to try and prevent it in the first place.

I'm hoping after I get my taxes back I can get the stilletos and hopefully the skid plate. That's if my wife doesn't spend the money first. 馃檮馃檮
I should have waited just a bit longer, but I couldn't and didn't. Lol. Sliders are the next big purchase, followed by the skid plates and then probably a wheel/tire combo for after the lift is installed.

Good luck with beating your wife to the money!

Registered
2019 Trailhawk
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I had a busy weekend working on things other than the KL. However, I still made a little minor progress with the bezel. This is what I was left with after removing what was effectively a mold of the rear panel of the Kenwood's screen. It will take a few days to clean up and shape nicely, but I'm happy with what I have so far.

The only other thing of note, was that my wheel adapters arrived from Motorsport Tech. Super fast arrival despite being made to order. They are .75" thick 110x5 to 127x5 adapters that will allow me to run JK wheels. If using an OEM JK wheel, they'll only stick out a mere .64" more than the OEM Trailhawk wheels. That should be perfectly acceptable in regards to any additional driveline stresses. If I choose to run anything aftermarket, there are still reasonable higher offset options available. It's nice to have choices either way.

Registered
2019 Trailhawk
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I managed to get a little of the initial material removal and sanding done last night. It's literally shaping up quite nicely. Only a few minor voids, but if I'm honest, they won't be visible with the screen in place. That said, I don't have it in me to leave them unaddressed. So I'll be filling them just the same. Once filled and final sanding is done, I'll get some primer on there and work out any imperfections with more filler and primer as needed. No different than any other body work at that point. I think the only real challenge I'll have is trying to match the metallic dark gray/black paint of the OEM bezel. It's not something that's available as a standard option from a company like SEM. I'll probably have to do a little experimentation. The other option would be to vinyl wrap it, which I've done a fair amount of in the past. I've even used real carbon fiber in applications, but I'm not sure the shape of this particular bezel would lend itself to that process very well. Whatever I do, I'd like it to look subtle.

Now here's where it gets pretty cool. The screen test fit in place on the bezel. If you compare these pics with the ones I posted earlier in the thread, you can see how much closer the screen sits now. I'm not sure it will ever look quite OEM, but have you seen the screens in the newest Grand Cherokee's or Wagoneers? It's really not a far cry from their design cues.

Registered
2019 Trailhawk
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I鈥檝e got the Stilettos for my Dobinson set up. The build quality is excellent. Haven鈥檛 got them installed yet, got my knee replaced and crawling around under the car is a bitch. Soon hopefully
I'm pretty excited to get mine in. It's great to see the KL platform get unique products like that, and they do certainly look quality from what I've seen.

I had a knee replaced almost exactly 2 years ago, so I know where you're coming from. However, it's now better than it's been in years. I still don't like kneeling on it, but range of motion is excellent, and I'm pretty pain free.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts