2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2015 Cherokee started to produce this burning rubber smell a week or so ago. Yesterday the smell became worse and thankfully I was right next to the mechanic I normally go to for oil changes. Turns out that housing on the oil cooler was cracked and $625 it was fixed. My jeep only has 45k miles on it. Has anyone else had this problem so early? (FYI, I didnt feel comfortable driving it to the dealership, even if it was potentially covered by powertrain)

·
Registered
308 Posts
It’s a common problem, I bought my 2015 KL used but it cracked around 50k. Since I bought used with a warranty they changed mine for free. The one they replaced it with had an updated part number and is a little stronger. If you search the forums you’ll find a post about it. I do my own oil changes now because dealer cracked mine. I also would not trust any oil changing place as I’m sure most won’t replace the gasket on the filter cover and also I’m sure they will tighten it way too much and crack it like the dealer must have done to mine.

·
Registered
235 Posts
It’s a common problem, I bought my 2015 KL used but it cracked around 50k. Since I bought used with a warranty they changed mine for free. The one they replaced it with had an updated part number and is a little stronger. If you search the forums you’ll find a post about it. I do my own oil changes now because dealer cracked mine. I also would not trust any oil changing place as I’m sure most won’t replace the gasket on the filter cover and also I’m sure they will tighten it way too much and crack it like the dealer must have done to mine.
So you had a cracked oil filter housing and the OP states they had a cracked OIL COOLER. Can the OP please clarify what they had fixed? it makes it quite confusing searching this forum when people are comparing possible different part failures or possibly using the wrong part names. the Oil Filter housings are what seems to be the common part cracking and being reported on the forum. thank you for any info on this or if it was an oil cooler.

·
Registered
315 Posts
So you had a cracked oil filter housing and the OP states they had a cracked OIL COOLER. Can the OP please clarify what they had fixed? it makes it quite confusing searching this forum when people are comparing possible different part failures or possibly using the wrong part names. the Oil Filter housings are what seems to be the common part cracking and being reported on the forum. thank you for any info on this or if it was an oil cooler.
I doubt the cooler itself was cracked...most likely the housing. It's all part of the same assembly, and to my knowledge, the only way to change the cooler is replacing the entire cooler/housing assembly.

Reactions: Flymanff

·
Registered
235 Posts
I doubt the cooler itself was cracked...most likely the housing. It's all part of the same assembly, and to my knowledge, the only way to change the cooler is replacing the entire cooler/housing assembly.

View attachment 210545
Thank you for the picture and the info. I have been doing 90% of my own oil changes and using the proper torque with a torque wrench and even did them on my 2012 Journey with the 3.6 liter, and luckily have never had a problem.
i have to admit i did not realize the complete housing/cooler was one unit and looked like the picture you posted. next time im under the hood im gonna look a lot closer at it. i assumed the cooler was in another area and a separate item.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry, yes it was the housing. I should have rewrote that. " Turns out that housing on the oil cooler was cracked" seems a little confusing

·
Registered
160 Posts
This oil cooler/filter assembly is part of all Pentastar engines. I just had to replace the one on our Grand Caravan last week. My research shows that it commonly fails near the 100,000 mile mark. Our van was at 135,000 km or 84,000 miles. I’ll watch for a similar oil leak on my Cherokee in a few years! ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This oil cooler/filter assembly is part of all Pentastar engines. I just had to replace the one on our Grand Caravan last week. My research shows that it commonly fails near the 100,000 mile mark. Our van was at 135,000 km or 84,000 miles. I’ll watch for a similar oil leak on my Cherokee in a few years! ;)
I would have been totally fine if it were the 100k mark haha, just kinda threw me off that it happen so soon

·
Registered
160 Posts
Here are a couple of YouTube videos that show why it’s so expensive to fix. It’s amazing what has to be taken apart to get to the oil cooler.

Reactions: Flymanff

·
Registered
235 Posts
Sorry, yes it was the housing. I should have rewrote that. " Turns out that housing on the oil cooler was cracked" seems a little confusing
Oh no need for you to apologize. Actually I need to apologize to you, I didn’t realize the cooler/oil filter housings are all one unit, I never looked that close at it under the intake manifold, I thought it was a separate cooler somewhere that airflow could get to it in the front of the engine compartment. The picture that techguy posted was a great learning experience on this matter.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I have the solution for my 2014 V6 TH with 90k miles.
Just don't replace the oil filter. No strain, no leak.
I use Amsoil 5W20 Signature engine oil. I have absolutely no oil consumption issues.
There is very little dirt in the engine oil. So how many years or miles will it take for the filter to get plugged and fail?
Something else will destroy my TH long before a clogged oil filter will be a problem.
If the plastic filter neck decides to spontaneously recycle itself then so be it.
I change my own oil and filter. A mechanic can break anything if they don't follow official FCA instructions
I have paint mark on the cap and housing so I don't over tighten the cap.
There is an "O" ring on the circumference of the cap so there is no reason to tightly install the cap.
The correct torque is 18 LB/FT, torque it to 10 LB/FT, it isn't going to come loose or leak.
End of rant, now you can beat up on me.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Did this repair. Took about 3 hrs. Lots of clips to deal with and a lot of oil to get off the top of the motor. About 2k miles since the repair and all is good.

·
Registered
308 Posts
There is a newer part number than the original ones so I think they fixed those welds.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
As I have stated before, the leaks are not due to over over torque. You can however, damage the cover. The leaks are from the thermo weld around the Oil Pressure Sensor.
Finally, the answer I was looking for, the location of the leak.
My oil pressure switch was replaced under Warranty. Wonder if that could weaken the thermo weld.
Just had my spark plugs replaced a few weeks ago so if there was an oil leak at the oil pressure switch they should have noticed it.
Now I can change my oil filter, doing it the correct way, without having to be too concerned about causing an oil leak.

·
FCA Customer Support Group
1,430 Posts
My 2015 Cherokee started to produce this burning rubber smell a week or so ago. Yesterday the smell became worse and thankfully I was right next to the mechanic I normally go to for oil changes. Turns out that housing on the oil cooler was cracked and $625 it was fixed. My jeep only has 45k miles on it. Has anyone else had this problem so early? (FYI, I didnt feel comfortable driving it to the dealership, even if it was potentially covered by powertrain)
@andreiorty,
We are sorry to hear that you are having this trouble with your Jeep Cherokee. If you do decide to bring this to the attention of your dealer, feel free to send our team a private message. We are happy to add our additional support to your service.

Kathryn
JeepCares

·
Registered
4 Posts
Me seems or have refrigerators accurately such a same detail there is. I just remember when my refrigerator broke down I decided to call the place where I got it ianboer.com.au. Here I was told that it is better to call the repair they are the best at this. When I applied for repair, I was told that this broken part I can order in any car service. I don't even know if all the fridges have car parts or if I'm just so lucky. By the way, my refrigerator still works with this spare part.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does anyone know which is the newer part number than the original ones.
I have the same issue on 2014 Jeep Cherokee 3.2 trailhawk.
I want to purchase the part online.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Welcome to the club.
How many miles on your Trailhawk?
This should be the part:
ADAPTER-ENGINE OIL FILTER - Mopar (68105583AF)
When you order online specify your VIN so they can make sure you get the correct part.
If you are doing this repair you will also need intake manifold gaskets.
Might as well change the spark plugs while you are in there. Even though they are advertised for 100K miles they should be replaced between 80K and 90K.
You will need to have a shop manual if you expect to do this repair correctly.
Specifically you need torque specs and instructions.
Use the "Search Community" above center and search YouTube videos for instructions.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts