2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anybody else cracked their Filter Housing? PN 68105583AG
After my last oil change, I started seeing oil on the garage floor. I'm guessing the dealer tech tightened the plastic cap too tight and cracked the body where the filter resides. Now they want $900 (M&L) to fix the problem they created. :mad: I think I just paid for all those "free" oil changes tens times over.
Camera accessory Dvi cable Auto part Cable Machine

Dang thing must be all plastic. I don't see how they can ask $331 for a new on if it is only plastic. $240 at my favorite MOPAR parts shop. If it wasn't 14F outside, I'd do it myself. That new Raptor 馃槏 can't come soon enough.

[Edit: OK, time for Paul Harvey and for me to take back some angry words. The housing was not cracked. The leak was coming from 2 of the 4 bottom seals. Appears the little O-rings went "flat" after 7 years of compression and lost their sealing ability. Go figure. Still don't like the $900 bill.]
Auto part Automotive design Plastic Wheel Personal protective equipment

Registered

Registered
Yeah see if you can find the aluminum dorman unit. The metal cooler part from your existing broken cooler has to move over to it but should be much longer lasting than the mopar plastic oil cooler. If the leak is not too bad you can probably find another shop that would install it cheaper than the dealership. I did mine myself its not a terrible job if you have a garage. Takes about 2 hours.

Registered
I have seen so many youTube videos of people changing the entire housing for oil leaks. The gaskets are just $14; I am not sure why they end up changing the entire housing. It has serviceable parts that can be replaced to fix the leaks.

Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
I have seen so many youTube videos of people changing the entire housing for oil leaks. The gaskets are just $14; I am not sure why they end up changing the entire housing. It has serviceable parts that can be replaced to fix the leaks.
Because they're plastic, and they break. It's usually from careless oil change technicians. Engine components should not be made out of plastic. They didn't quite think that one through. Luckily, Dorman makes a metal replacement now, and should solve this issue...馃槑

Registered
Because they're plastic, and they break. It's usually from careless oil change technicians. Engine components should not be made out of plastic. They didn't quite think that one through. Luckily, Dorman makes a metal replacement now, and should solve this issue...馃槑
Its hardened plastic; most engines are having plastic components these days, with advancement of plastic technology.
The plastic housing is secured using 5 bolts, each with 12NM torque.
If you twist the oil filter cover at more than 25NM torque, you will rip those bolts off , loosen them.
At the end that has the oil filter, there are 3 bolts very close to each other, so you can roughly say a torque of over 36NM will rip them off.
It means, you are loosening the hold or grip the housing has over the oil and coolant holes with the gaskets.
The gaskets are compressed on installation, and they are made of hard rubber. They should not be disturbed.
Bad oil change technicians will cause them to unseal causing oil leaks; but I don't see how one can break or crack up the plastic housing itself.

Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
Its hardened plastic; most engines are having plastic components these days, with advancement of plastic technology.
The plastic housing is secured using 5 bolts, each with 12NM torque.
If you twist the oil filter cover at more than 25NM torque, you will rip those bolts off , loosen them.
At the end that has the oil filter, there are 3 bolts very close to each other, so you can roughly say a torque of over 36NM will rip them off.
It means, you are loosening the hold or grip the housing has over the oil and coolant holes with the gaskets.
The gaskets are compressed on installation, and they are made of hard rubber. They should not be disturbed.
Bad oil change technicians will cause them to unseal causing oil leaks; but I don't see how one can break or crack up the plastic housing itself.
Glad I don't have to worry about it with my 2.0T...馃槑

1 - 18 of 18 Posts