2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has happened twice that suddenly temperature indicator goes directly to the highest temperature level and there will message on that the engine temp is too high, but after a second comes back to normal, I know there is no problem with the motor, so I think that there is some computer wrong reading.
Someone who has had this problem?

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Usually that means the coolant thermostat is stuck closed and then finally opens.
One way to tell is when the temperature on the gauge starts to get too hot check if there is heat in the radiator hoses.
If cool the thermostat has not opened yet. When it does open the hoses will get hot and coolant will flow through the radiator.
Haven't heard of this problem on KLs yet.
The problem could be something else but I have had thermostats fail on other vehicles.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, i know what you said, but there isn't any problem with the engine cooling system, i think it is some bug or maybe the sensor wrong reading some time, i'll change the sensor.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Usually that means the coolant thermostat is stick closed and then finally opens.
One way to tell is when the temperature on the gauge starts to get too hot check if there is heat in the radiator hoses.
If cool the thermostat has not opened yet. When it does open the hoses will get hot and coolant will flow through the radiator.
Haven't heard of this problem on KLs yet.
The problem could be something else but I have had thermostats fail on other vehicles.
I know with the Pentastar in our Grand Caravan, we got a MIL and code when the thermostat failed. This sounds like something else.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Never would have guessed a bad thermostat would give a MIL code.
Let us know when you get it fixed. I am still trying to get educated on this FCA stuff.
Are you aware of a TSB for this this problem?

·
Registered
161 Posts
@sanghill The Thermostat issue happened last year with our Grand Caravan. It’s almost 8 years old and a thermostat giving up the ghost at that point happens.

·
Registered
996 Posts
The 2.0 Thermostats have been a frequent issue. More labor intensive than most. Most stick open, but who knows. If you are confident the coolant is at the proper level, nothing else comes to mind.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same problem and finally after 2 years of multiple discussions with the dealer, they accepted that they could not solve the problem and received my car as part payment for a Grand Cherokee.

You can find the whole story at the following link: Error message “High coolant temperature”

From what I could research, this is a problem that has occurred in many Compass vehicles, and they still don't know how to fix it. Apparently the cause may be related to a manufacturing defect in the main electrical harness, but there is no way to guarantee that even in case of changing the whole harness (which is a not so easy job and they have to disassemble half the vehicle) there is no guarantee that the problem will be solved and it may occur again.

In my case I had to seek the advice of a lawyer to file a formal claim, and so I finally got a result, otherwise I would continue with the problem.

In my specific case, what worried me the most is that when I was on the road/highway, the error occurred and the vehicle blocked for an instant, fortunately it always happened in a straight line and I never had a real risk of losing control, but it was a real risk that could occur at any time and cause a serious accident.

Greetings and good luck,
Santiago

·
Premium Member
2,208 Posts
If it's jumping up to the highest level, and after a second it's back to normal
that kind of fluctuation doesn't sound like a thermostat. I'd change out the
sensor like you said first. Also when it comes to sensors I usually stick
with OEM. I've had problems with after market sensors. 0.02

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same problem and finally after 2 years of multiple discussions with the dealer, they accepted that they could not solve the problem and received my car as part payment for a Grand Cherokee.

You can find the whole story at the following link: Error message “High coolant temperature”

From what I could research, this is a problem that has occurred in many Compass vehicles, and they still don't know how to fix it. Apparently the cause may be related to a manufacturing defect in the main electrical harness, but there is no way to guarantee that even in case of changing the whole harness (which is a not so easy job and they have to disassemble half the vehicle) there is no guarantee that the problem will be solved and it may occur again.

In my case I had to seek the advice of a lawyer to file a formal claim, and so I finally got a result, otherwise I would continue with the problem.

In my specific case, what worried me the most is that when I was on the road/highway, the error occurred and the vehicle blocked for an instant, fortunately it always happened in a straight line and I never had a real risk of losing control, but it was a real risk that could occur at any time and cause a serious accident.

Greetings and good luck,
Santiago

Good afternoon Santiago,
I saw your post on the Compass forum about this topic, then saw this one as well. It sounds like I'm having the exact same issue you were having, ie Compass coolant temp warning then shutting down.

How did your dealer handle the trade in of your Compass? I'm considering trading in my due to the issue, but am concerned the trade-in value will be dramatically reduced if I bring attention to the problem. Also, at 49k miles, my bumper to bumper warranty has expired and I'm not sure how their service department would charge me to investigate the issue.

Any insight from your experience with Jeep would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,208 Posts
Good afternoon Santiago,
I saw your post on the Compass forum about this topic, then saw this one as well. It sounds like I'm having the exact same issue you were having, ie Compass coolant temp warning then shutting down.

How did your dealer handle the trade in of your Compass? I'm considering trading in my due to the issue, but am concerned the trade-in value will be dramatically reduced if I bring attention to the problem. Also, at 49k miles, my bumper to bumper warranty has expired and I'm not sure how their service department would charge me to investigate the issue.

Any insight from your experience with Jeep would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
I wouldn't bring it up. It's on them to inspect it and make sure everything
is working properly. Just like when we traded in the Patriot. The thing
kept jerking in gear, dealer couldn't figure it out and said works as it should!
We traded it in on my wife's Lat+.

A couple of years later, my son got a 2012 Compass (same engine) and
it started doing the jerking deal. Now people know it's as simple as changing
the spark plugs! Took a while for people to figure out what the dealer couldn't! LOL

Reactions: byokes21
1 - 11 of 11 Posts