2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm new to the forum and didn't think I would be asking questions on a Jeep forum already. I have a new 2020 Jeep Cherokee Limited for my wife that is a week old. When my wife came home from work today and told me the windows inside the car were foggy and didn't start to clear up until she got home today. When I checked it out, it was so wet to the point it was almost dripping. First thought was the sunroof was leaking. I didn't like the idea of all that glass on the roof from the day we bought it. We had a real lot of rain yesterday but I couldn't find any signs of leaks. The floor isn't wet and no signs of leakage around the sunroof. There is no doubt to much moisture in the cabin and until I find out if this problem is consistent, my concern is if one was to shut the cover over the sunroof, there is no way this is going to dry out. It seems to me an invitation for mold and mildew. Maybe I'm jumping the gun. I was wondering if anyone on the forum has had an issue with inside cabin condensation? Thanks ahead, Mike M

Attachments

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
Just a guess at this point.......Your HVAC system may not be working properly. You didn't mention where you reside and what the weather was.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Make sure your ac is dripping water under the vehicle when you have defrost turned on. I know on some of the KL's they had issues with the condensation drain being disconnected or plugged in some way. Being its brand new I would check for water dripping and if not let your dealer know asap. Maybe put a small dehumidifier inside the Jeep for the time being. Mold is no joke and you don't want that growing.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Did you make sure the HVAC system is not on recirculate? You need some outside air mixed in to get rid of the inside humidity. If it’s not something really simple, like pushing a button, I’d be back at the dealer showing them, that’s why you have a warranty. Keep us informed, I’ve never seen something like this unless the heater core was blown....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
531 Posts
And for what it’s worth, I have the panoramic sunroof and never get any condensation...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
7,367 Posts
Lately it's been very dusty on our roads due to the salt and sand drying...I've been turning on recirculate when following someone due to the dust. Within about three minutes, my driver's window is beginning to fog.

As mentioned, if you're in a cold climate and recirc is constantly on, that may be the culprit.

Another option may be that the dealership cleaned the vehicle and the mats or carpet is still wet.

If you have a garage or covered parking, maybe park with the windows down to dry a bit?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Also check your cabin air filter make sure that's not clogged up as well. The air conditioner should be coming on and drying out the inside. I would start with the cabin air filter its easy to get to. especially for the person in the dusty conditions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi all, I'm new to the forum and didn't think I would be asking questions on a Jeep forum already. I have a new 2020 Jeep Cherokee Limited for my wife that is a week old. When my wife came home from work today and told me the windows inside the car were foggy and didn't start to clear up until she got home today. When I checked it out, it was so wet to the point it was almost dripping. First thought was the sunroof was leaking. I didn't like the idea of all that glass on the roof from the day we bought it. We had a real lot of rain yesterday but I couldn't find any signs of leaks. The floor isn't wet and no signs of leakage around the sunroof. There is no doubt to much moisture in the cabin and until I find out if this problem is consistent, my concern is if one was to shut the cover over the sunroof, there is no way this is going to dry out. It seems to me an invitation for mold and mildew. Maybe I'm jumping the gun. I was wondering if anyone on the forum has had an issue with inside cabin condensation? Thanks ahead, Mike M
Thanks for all the replies. The following morning all that condensation turned to ice. I have pics of that to show the dealer when I get a chance. Just got a heatwave today 40 degrees, up from 8 degrees. I’m going to give the Jeep a washing let her air out. I’ll check out every suggestion from everyone. I will follow up on the forum. Thanks again. Mike M

·
Registered
821 Posts
I dont know if you have auto climate control but I find at times if I leave it in auto in the winter it does not circulate enough air to defog well, and I think it does not activate the AC or atleast activate it enough to thoroughly remove the moisture so I will manually select defrost as it will activate the AC to dry out the air, and when its defrosted you could set it manualy to recirculate with the AC on and that will help to draw moisture out.

Also from your post it sounds like you had snow. I have a 2019 with sunroof that lives outside. (I have a big CB antina so the only way to fit in the garage would be to take it off) I find that when we get snow, no matter how well you bang it off a lot gets in the car and melts. I have the Trsilhawk so it comes with all weather mats, and I will have to dump them out every day and put paper napkins in the back corner so what does not poor out dose not pool out of them when I park in the driveway. Then eventually when the weather warms all that extra moisture condenses on the windows. I then do my trick and in a few days it clears.

Being a limited I assume it's got carpeted floor mats, they can hold moisture and not really feel wet. You could also hang a damp rid closet pack in the car.

When we would get snow I would have this happen even in my caliber with no sunroof. Just because of the sheer amount of moisture dragged into the car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I dont know if you have auto climate control but I find at times if I leave it in auto in the winter it does not circulate enough air to defog well, and I think it does not activate the AC or atleast activate it enough to thoroughly remove the moisture so I will manually select defrost as it will activate the AC to dry out the air, and when its defrosted you could set it manualy to recirculate with the AC on and that will help to draw moisture out.

Also from your post it sounds like you had snow. I have a 2019 with sunroof that lives outside. (I have a big CB antina so the only way to fit in the garage would be to take it off) I find that when we get snow, no matter how well you bang it off a lot gets in the car and melts. I have the Trsilhawk so it comes with all weather mats, and I will have to dump them out every day and put paper napkins in the back corner so what does not poor out dose not pool out of them when I park in the driveway. Then eventually when the weather warms all that extra moisture condenses on the windows. I then do my trick and in a few days it clears.

Being a limited I assume it's got carpeted floor mats, they can hold moisture and not really feel wet. You could also hang a damp rid closet pack in the car.

When we would get snow I would have this happen even in my caliber with no sunroof. Just because of the sheer amount of moisture dragged into the car.
The day before we experienced the moisture, it rained heavy all day. No snow in Central Jersey yet this whole winter. I also installed all weather liners two days after buying the Jeep. I took out the carpet mats. We usually soak up any water that accumulates on the liners in any of our vehicles but I understand the point, even leaving a wet coat in the car could cause condensation. (all three vehicles have all weather liners). The last few days have been sunny so there hasn't been any condensation in the car at all. I'm taking in all the suggestions from the forum. I want to wait until the next rain and see if it happens again. Pics tell it all. My wife had yesterday off from work and the last thing we wanted to do was go to the dealership. (I bought enough new vehicles in my days and hate dealerships) Thanks for responding. By the way, my son has a trailhawk and loves it. He's a Moab lover. There is no end to off roading out there. Mike M

·
FCA Customer Support Group
1,392 Posts

Hi mam19582,
Thank you for sharing your concerns here. If you do decide to bring this to the attention of your dealer, please keep us informed of the diagnosis. Our team is also always available via PM for additional support during your service.

Kathryn
JeepCares

1 - 11 of 11 Posts