2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought spark plugs for my Challenger R/T (all 16 of them!) from Rock Auto and while at it checked to see what they had for V6 Cherokee oil filters. The offered Hastings ($4.43), Wix ($4.43), Fram ($5.19) and Motorcraft ($9.90). I was happy to see that more filters are being offered for the Jeep and prices are getting more in line with what they should be for a drop-in element filter vs. a spin-on cartridge.

I ordered a couple of the Wix WL10010 models, as I knew that Mopar sometimes has used Wix as OEM and they generally have a good reputation. $4.43 is about half the price of what I was paying for original Mopar M0-349 filters at the dealer. Plus, added to the spark plug order, the shipping stayed the same.

Below are some pictures of a new Wix WL10010 vs. the used Mopar M0-349. I had already installed one of the Wix filters when I did my third oil change a week of so ago and it installed fine. The motor hasn't blown up yet or anything like that. :grin:

As you can see from the pictures, the two filters are virtually identical. I admit I was too lazy to count pleats, though the count looks to be about the same. The Wix filter says 'Made in South Korea' and the Mopar filter shows no country of origin on it or its box. I am pretty sure they are not exactly the same filters (The Wix has no Mopar part number on it, for example) but they are very close.

The Wix is on the left and the used Mopar filter is on the right

"Made in South Korea" on the Wix filter if you look close. Much better than made in North Korea.

This shows the inside of the Wix filter. I didn't post a picture of the Mopar as it was too dark to show the ribbing - but they appeared to be the same.

·
Registered
795 Posts
As always I recommend using the OEM filter if you are under warranty. For the $5 you might save buying a less expensive filter it can cost you thousands if you end up with engine problems related to lubrication. Sure the other filters are "warranty approved" but if you ever have a problem usually the dealer will say it is due to the aftermarket filter. If they do, you are on your own to fight with the filter supplier. I have direct experience with this and it isn't pretty.

Reactions: jsf721

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gerssh said: <<...if you ever have a problem usually the dealer will say it is due to the aftermarket filter. If they do, you are on your own to fight with the filter supplier. I have direct experience with this and it isn't pretty. >>

I'm curious as to what your experience was. Jeep recommends Mopar filters. It does not require them. So I can't understand why you would have a warranty problem with a name brand filter (Unless the filter actually failed, as I've read that some inexpensive Fram's have.)

I've been driving Chrysler products for about 45 years and never had a lubrication related warranty problem. I've always used good oil and filters. I watch filter tests and buy the ones that are rated best, which aren't always OEM.

I probably won't buy another OEM filter for my Cherokee as quality aftermarket units are becoming available. I only used OEM for the first two changes as not much else was around.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Gerssh said: <<...if you ever have a problem usually the dealer will say it is due to the aftermarket filter. If they do, you are on your own to fight with the filter supplier. I have direct experience with this and it isn't pretty. >>

I'm curious as to what your experience was. Jeep recommends Mopar filters. It does not require them. So I can't understand why you would have a warranty problem with a name brand filter (Unless the filter actually failed, as I've read that some inexpensive Fram's have.)

I've been driving Chrysler products for about 45 years and never had a lubrication related warranty problem. I've always used good oil and filters. I watch filter tests and buy the ones that are rated best, which aren't always OEM.

I probably won't buy another OEM filter for my Cherokee as quality aftermarket units are becoming available. I only used OEM for the first two changes as not much else was around.
I was a technician and a service advisor at a Chrysler dealership: The Cummins engines were blowing the internals of the aftermarket oil filters to bits. Chrysler released a bulletin stating that the only approved oil filters to be used were genuine Mopar or Fleetguard. That was quite awhile ago. A little more recently I was a service advisor at a Ford dealership and they released a bulletin stating that if a vehicle came in for a driveability issue and it did not have an OEM filter on it to advise the customer that the repairs potentially would not be covered under warranty. It went on to say that there were several cases of the filter material in after market filters were not standing up causing restrictions in the oil galleries that feed the cam phasers.
Everyone will have their own opinions on filter quality. I have made the decision that a $5 savings on a filter isn't worth the potential headache in the future. Hopefully nobody has to deal with an issue like that, for me it is cheap insurance.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Multi-million dollar national chain oil-change joints....how in the heck do they stay in business? How many people check to see what filter they are using on vehicles? Do they meet "standards?" I for sure do not know. They get much more business than do dealerships because most people live on a budget and are on time-constraints (who has time to spend 3 or more hours to get your oil changed at the dealership, unless you schedule...). I have been using them for probably 10-15 years now. It is a pain to do it at home (unless you live at a farm like I used to) and sometimes costs more than to have the 30-minute places do it for you. If engines were being fried due to oil filters failing to do their job, I'm pretty sure we'd be hearing stories all over about them ruining new (and old) vehicles.....

I haven't a clue what filter they are using and I will continue to use them. Crossing my fingers that they don't fail, but if they do, I have my receipts......

Somewhat side note....Thinking that letting someone else do the change is better for the environment, also.....waaaaaaaay too many people are idiots/jerks/louts who just dump their used oil on the ground or down drains.....

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for linking that, Fusseli! I thought I had seen pictures somewhere before. I agree that the Fram has a different look to it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Does Mopar even make there own filters? Or do they just have a manufacturer that's already making filters put the Mopar label on them?

Thanks for the comparison. I wonder how they compare. They look similar enough but wonder about how they flow or even more important how well the glue holding the filter together compares.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Mopar has had their filters made by a variety of manufacturers through the years. Purolator, Champion and Wix pop up if you do a search on the internetz.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently bought spark plugs for my Challenger R/T (all 16 of them!) from Rock Auto and while at it checked to see what they had for V6 Cherokee oil filters. The offered Hastings ($4.43), Wix ($4.43), Fram ($5.19) and Motorcraft ($9.90). I was happy to see that more filters are being offered for the Jeep and prices are getting more in line with what they should be for a drop-in element filter vs. a spin-on cartridge.

I ordered a couple of the Wix WL10010 models, as I knew that Mopar sometimes has used Wix as OEM and they generally have a good reputation. $4.43 is about half the price of what I was paying for original Mopar M0-349 filters at the dealer. Plus, added to the spark plug order, the shipping stayed the same.

Below are some pictures of a new Wix WL10010 vs. the used Mopar M0-349. I had already installed one of the Wix filters when I did my third oil change a week of so ago and it installed fine. The motor hasn't blown up yet or anything like that. 😁

As you can see from the pictures, the two filters are virtually identical. I admit I was too lazy to count pleats, though the count looks to be about the same. The Wix filter says 'Made in South Korea' and the Mopar filter shows no country of origin on it or its box. I am pretty sure they are not exactly the same filters (The Wix has no Mopar part number on it, for example) but they are very close.

The Wix is on the left and the used Mopar filter is on the right

"Made in South Korea" on the Wix filter if you look close. Much better than made in North Korea.

This shows the inside of the Wix filter. I didn't post a picture of the Mopar as it was too dark to show the ribbing - but they appeared to be the same.
As a Jeep technician who typically uses WIX filters on my own vehicles, I find the Mopar filters to be higher quality. Unfortunately WIX is now often made in China and lowering their quality. You can always tell even before removing the cap if I filter is aftermarket or OEM just by removing it. The OEM filters stay seated in the cap better, and the pleats do not collapse nearly as quickly as cheaper filters with extended oil change intervals. I also highly recommend sticking to traditional 3,000 semi and 5,000 miles full synthetic oil change intervals vs the 10,000 miles intervals that Chrysler recommended and the oil life is based off of. I have replaced several sludged engines outside of warranty.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Does Mopar even make there own filters? Or do they just have a manufacturer that's already making filters put the Mopar label on them?

Thanks for the comparison. I wonder how they compare. They look similar enough but wonder about how they flow or even more important how well the glue holding the filter together compares.
For the longest time Mopar filters were just rebranded FRAM filters. The same bottom of the line FRAM with the fiber end caps. In recent years they have been made by Champion Labs.

My problem with OE filters is they are sourced from whom ever can meet the specs for the cheapest cost. They certainly are not a top shelf filter that you can purchase from aftermarket sources.

Sent from my motorola one 5G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
7,646 Posts
Glad mine is a good old spin on Wix XP 57060XP...Best choice for all of you 2.0T people, $8.00...😎

1 - 14 of 14 Posts