2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite 2.0L, w/factory tow, sunroof, technology group,
177 Posts
You have a TH? My fat all and my TH was around 4600lbs with a full tank of gas, use that value i'm less concerned with exact values but more the behavior during shifts..........you sure it goes off weight though?

AlfaOBD doesn't require weight to be entered it reads the value right from the engine.
I don't know if it requires it or not. I have a 19 with all thr options, so not sure how close. I did take the gvwr and backed out cargo capacity, which should be fairly close. Ill test it tomorrow. I also downloaded the alfaOBD app, but I'm not as familiar with it, and my chepo obd2 reader is technically not one of the few it supports, but it does still connect. What guages would you like to see?

Also, I'm not sure how accurate the total boost guage is. I'm sure percentage is right, just not total. I had a strange correction. Generally it's either 0, or 1 bar. I had to adjust by 5.37. I figured that out by letting the start stop engage, knowing it should be 0 at that point. I couldn't find anywhere what the max boost is, to verify if its correct. Before it was corrected, I could feel it in boost before it said it was, so I know the 0 is at least right now.

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite 2.0L, w/factory tow, sunroof, technology group,
177 Posts
You have a TH? My fat all and my TH was around 4600lbs with a full tank of gas, use that value i'm less concerned with exact values but more the behavior during shifts..........you sure it goes off weight though?

AlfaOBD doesn't require weight to be entered it reads the value right from the engine.
Let me know if this is what you were looking for. This is using AlfaOBD. Mostly the same driving conditions, 55mph, rolling hills, some traffic lights, and a few harder pulls.

·
Registered
177 Posts
If you are in a safe place to do so, if you could match the guages like the one i posted above and do a zero to 60 in auto mode, then the same thing in sport mode I would be forever grateful!
No problem. It may take me a day or two. I've got a few areas close to me where the speed limit is high enough it won't be a problem.

·
Registered
177 Posts
2019 Cherokee KL TH Elite 2.0 0-60 1st is in normal mode (with a slight up hill), 2nd is in sport mode (flat ground).

Just make a list of ones you want and ill cross them off as I get them. Maybe I'll start a new post to keep them all organized.

I really like the 2L. I don't think many give it much credit, but we're going on 4 to 5 years of reliability as it hit wrangler first, just with etorque.

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
3,345 Posts
I really like the 2L. I don't think many give it much credit, but we're going on 4 to 5 years of reliability as it hit wrangler first, just with etorque.
You're preaching to the choir brother!!! I posted a challenge the other day for someone to find me one post on here related to ANY engine related failure on the 2.0T, and still have no reply. We're still waiting though!!! I know there's a bunch of them about the Pentastars though, literally hundreds. I know there's plenty of those who have had good luck with them, and I'm not knocking them, but there's still far too many KNOWN FOR A LONG TIME redundant issues that will always concern me as a Jeep owner, and just a consumer in general. I will continue to wave the flag for the 2.0T, and I'm reminded every time I drive the Trailhawk just how much I like this little engine, and I think it's a perfect engine for the KL in all performance levels, and all conditions, both on, and offroad. Dependability, well I'm sticking with my prediction of it being the best, most reliable Jeep engine available in a very long time, way before our KL's were even thought of...LOL!!!😎

·
Registered
177 Posts
I agree about the 2.0L, but I will say I was looking for the 3.2 when I was searching and just happend to find a great deal on this one. My wife had a 2L ecoboost in her Ford edge, so I had a rough idea how it would drive. There is more throttle lag then I would like, but its more from tuning than turbo lag. The biggest thing that gets turbo engines, especially direct inject engines, is bad fuel and cheap/long oil changes. As long as the engine is build for a turbo, longevity is not an issue. People had the same complaints when Ford put the 3.5L ecoboost in the f150 a decade ago.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
agree about the 2.0L, but I will say I was looking for thr 3.2 when I was searching and just happend to find a great deal on this one.
That was me as well!!! I was sceptical about the brand new engine, as most of us would be, and was leaning toward the V6. However, after I drove one, it immediately impressed the hell out of me, so it wasn't a deal breaker. Fast forward to when I finally found mine I took a chance, and I'm very happy that I did. BTW, have you ever seen a post about engine related failure on a 2.0T??? LOL!!!😎

·
Premium Member
3,502 Posts
I like the i'm just partial to the V6 for obvious reasons, I just was disappointed in the real world performance of it because it really wasn't much faster than the 3.2 and based on its specs alone it should have been. Example Alfa Romeo stelvio has a similar (but very different) 2.0T making similar power, weighs the same but it MUCH faster, and like I proved with the 3.2 these vehicles are so horribly detuned from the factory there is so much more potential except there really is no way to do that right now (piggybacks don't work)
So i'm just trying to get some data I would get IF I had a turbo cherokee.

Not sure if you watched the front/rear coupling but that shows your AWD system is working just like it should, always active at low speeds and tapers off to FWD mode once you get to cruising, but activates again at medium/full throttle.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'm getting to be a big fan of this engine, too. I'm very surprised the '21s dropped it as an option. I guess that's just going to make my '20 TH that much more rare!

The only thing is, I wish our computers were unlocked for a bit of tuning. In general I'm against that sort of thing. Oh well, fingers crossed we can do more with it in the future. Still, Hurricane all the way, baby!

·
Premium Member
3,502 Posts
When you watch your video on your phone does the screen values update quicker i'm just noticing a bit more of a delay in data polling vs the videos I took, I had to re-encode mine so the framerate was better and everything updated a bit faser.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I noticed the delay as well. I'm running a cheap obd2, so that might be why. I typically use bluedriver for codes and such, but just got a cheap generic one to try out. I hadn't noticed the decoupling before, ill have to take a look at that.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Tyler-98-W68, so is there anything worth changing in alfa? I would need to bypass the security gateway module first, but wasn't sure how much could be changed. For instance, with my previous f250, I was able to add and active auto headlights, fog lights, turn on remote start, hold unlock to lower windows, and turn on fog lights with high beams. Wasnt sure if I could do thr windows and fog light thing with the cherokee.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
I'm getting to be a big fan of this engine, too. I'm very surprised the '21s dropped it as an option. I guess that's just going to make my '20 TH that much more rare!
You're right, I too cannot even begin to think of just what what the conversation was like when they decided to not make the 2.0T available in Trailhawks...I've seen a lot of manufacturer blunders, and extremely bad decisions through the last four decades or so, and this is right up there in the top five!!! Only thing I can think of is some excessive inventory of Pentastars, and they thought, we'll just put them in all the Trailhawks. Most people buying Trailhawks want the V6 right??? They won't miss the 2.0T...I won't be trading mine anytime soon...LOL!!!😎

·
Premium Member
3,502 Posts
So a few things I noticed, yes the turbo makes more power than the V6 no question, but did you notice how the peak values are just that very peaky and the huge drop in torque during the shifts? That's costing a lot of performance right there, it also seems to be limiting torque down low or maybe it's just the turbo lag, as an example my Tuned 3.2 is making 320nm right at 2550rpm peaks at 4000rpm and stays relatively consistent with a slight trailing off to around 320nm after 6500rpm (shifting at 7000)

Where as on the Turbo you are around 263mn around 2400rpm then 362nm around 3500rpm but then really starts to build at 4400rpm or so going from 389-416nm but then by 5000rpm it's time to shift and then its cutting power again.

This is super awesome info thank you very much, just reinforces like i've said all along the turbo has lots of potential its just not being given a chance.

As for AlfaOBD yes you will need a security module bypass in order to make any changes, and i'm shocked the readings worked without the module but for the changes you will need it

21 - 40 of 57 Posts