Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2681 East Rt. 6
Marseilles, Illinois 61341
Phone (815) 795-5200
Email [email protected]
Website http://www.thecliffsinsaneterrain.com

Learned about this place in a post by @Latitude4x4 and after visiting their website, I knew it was a place I would have to visit and quite possibly re-visit again and again.

Well, I am planning to head out there this Sunday to mess around. Anyone care to join?

Reactions: eak

·
Registered
500 Posts
Hum, a 15 hour drive to get there.... Wish it was closer!!! Maybe in July tho, for their Jeep Thing weekend...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Looks to be about an hour away from me.
Hope to try it out in the Spring - assuming my TH gets here by then!
Pictures please :)

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
About a two hour drive for me, but it's Sunday ... Since football is over, the whole day is open.

I'll strap the wife to the hood for some good action shots.

Reactions: zzjdzz

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Ok, so we had some good fun today. I got a good feeling for how this Jeep is and also realized some of its deficiencies.

For starters, We have had tons of snow this winter. Snow followed by negative temps, followed by snow, followed by negative temps ... repeatedly for the past two months so the snow had not had the opportunity to melt away. With last nights snowfall, the trails (comprised of packed and repacked snow/ice) were covered with 6 inches of semi-fresh snow and were flanked by 12-24 inches of untouched snow.

There were some points where the jeep tracked toward the deeper ruts and there wasn't anything I could do to prevent it. In the open fields, I was able to play around, sliding and just having fun. I was dragging the belly through the snow and all was well.

4LOW made the day doable. I tried some areas just using Auto or Snow mode. I wasn't really making any progress. After dropping to 4Low I was able to get around pretty good. I climbed a few hills and came down the other side; again, more fun.

I tried to climb one that was steeper and see now how the the approach angle of the TW makes the difference. I made it about 3/4 the way up when the front fascia began snowplowing and I couldn't keep moving forward. I had to back down and take a different path.

Through the day, I did get stuck twice where I needed assistance getting free. Other times, I was able to rock it out. In snow areas deeper than 10 inches, I had to be really careful. The Cherokee, even with the added inch that the ADII or AD Locker provide, needs at least 2 more inches of clearance to be perfect out there.

What have I learned from today? I am not going out again without recovery hooks and the stock tires are not quite aggressive enough for off-roading in the snow (though they are awesome on the road in the snow). On the straight-a-ways, I had a rough time keeping it from tracking to the pre-existing deeper ruts.

On the inclines, I felt like the Cherokee was losing its footing. At one point, I was climbing an incline with about 6 inches of semi-packed snow covering it. At the top, I broke traction and found the ice under the snow. My Cherokee slid backwards down the path about 20 feet and about 3 feet off the trail. When the jeep came to a stop, the RF wheel was off the path. My wife was staring down a gully through the passenger window and the LR tire was hanging in the air.

This is where the RF tire was hanging off

Needless to say, I needed assistance getting out of that situation. It was an interesting experience, to say the least. At least she didn't freak out too bad.

Will I go back out? Oh yeah! I'm going to figure a way to get hooks on it though first. Second, I will either have different tires or will hold off til the snow is gone.

Got some videos loading as well ... hopefully, I can add them in later.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Very nice. Thank you for the report and the pics.

Would love an opportunity to play in snow like that in my TH.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
link for video:

This was one of the smaller hills. This is part of their moto cross track.

Reactions: kungfucognizant

·
Administrator
887 Posts
Great pics and info. I am in Chicago and will have to check this place out.

We are looking at picking up a 2014 Cherokee and I drove a few last week. Now just trying to find the right color combo and options in the area.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Great post--enjoyed all the visuals--thanks

·
Registered
32 Posts
I know the owners son very well.

Great park.

You guys should also check out the badlands in attica, IN if you really wanna see what you can do.

Expect to get stuck

·
Premium Member
5,297 Posts
Next trip up to Chicago I'll have to check it out.
Good way to terrify the wife!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Bumping an old thread. So Chemist you are still remembered at the Cliffs. When me and Jet were leaving today from the Cliffs we were talking with one of the staff and he mentioned how it was good that we had hooks and how they had to figure out how to pull a new Cherokee out the didn't have them.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ha.....yeah it got interesting at times, but was still a blast. I really believe the AD II should have come with recovery points since it has the "off road suspension".

That said, I added the hitch and have a stinger point now. And soon, will have hooks up front.

Wish I was able to get out today, sounded lime you guys had a good time.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Excellent post , it almost felt like I was reading an article by an automotive journalist on some car blog. The video was a nice touch as well.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Reactions: madchemist24

·
Registered
228 Posts
I know the owners son very well.

Great park.

You guys should also check out the badlands in attica, IN if you really wanna see what you can do.

Expect to get stuck
Hey Mrmikey!

I've got my eye on the Badlands in Attica and thinking of going there for my first outing in the mud. Do they have some fairly easy trails to get started?

Thanks!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've been wanting to get out and play haven't been out since May would like to get a big group together and head out as a convoy think that would be awesome.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts