2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to add 6 pod lights around the outside of the jeep and planning on wiring them to 3 different switches. Some things I haven't gotten a clear answer on:
  • Is a circuit control box needed?
  • If it isn't needed, then what is the benefit over just running 3 wiring harnesses with inline fuses?
I just haven't figured out why I should pay ~$100 for the circuit box when I can get wiring harnesses for ~$10 each.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
I don't even know what a circuit control box is.
I used a Pilot 4 channel wireless remote (PL-SW29) so I wouldn't have run wires through the firewall.
Put it on top of the left wheel well.
What I did figure out is F65 in the PDC is only hot when the ignition is ON. Use a buss Add-A-Tap (BP-HHTR-RP) to get an extra circuit.
Got my heavy amp 12 volts from F2 in the PDC.
Main ground is connected to the battery negative cable.
Since you have an IBS on the battery you have to be careful how you connect to the battery. Hopefully somebody can explain "careful".

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
33 Posts
So the function of that is fairly simple. It's a bunch of relay switches, which serve to control the location of high-current cables.

Let's imagine you had a high-power spot light that pulls a lot of power. To control that with a simple switch, you need to run a large gauge wire through your dash to go through the switch, and the switch itself needs to be rated for the current.

Using a relay switch means that you can route the large cable directly from battery to relay to light, and control the relay with a very small amount of current from a small wire/switch.

Relays also serve to prevent current draw from inappropriate locations. If you wanted it tie to your lights to ignition status, you could wire them directly to a line that powers your radio headunit... And you would likely fry the radio or something else in the dash because that circuit was never intended to supply that much current. Instead, you could wire this to the control part of the relay, which draws a tiny amount of current to simply close the circuit between battery and light. Think of it like a light switch, where the act of flipping the switch takes very little power, but there could be a very strong circuit behind it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Appreciate the detail. Sounds like it would be worth it to spend the extra for the circuit controller rather than just running the 3 harnesses. Thanks again!

Reactions: OhareFred
1 - 7 of 7 Posts