2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
81 - 86 of 86 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,712 Posts
The correct phrase without being ego-centric is "Thanks for confirming what we were all saying all along".

Don't agree? Post the stuff where we disagreed. 4-high wheel spinning on hill is about it - and you proved for me that does indeed happen. So again, thank YOU for proving the only point in this entire thread where there was an inkling of disagreement.
My theroy: @Tyler-98-W68 is absolutely right about torque. The 2.0L Turbo gets a lower overall gearing (3.734 regardless of trim, just like the 2.4L) vs the 3.2L (3.251 w/o tow package, or 3.517 (w/tow package or Trailhawk). On top of that, the 2.0L Turbo has more torque and a flatter curve at the low end (Torque 295 lb.-ft. @ 3,000 - 4,500 rpm; 3.2: Torque 239 lb.-ft. @ 4,400 rpm). I believe the torque is overcoming any BLD issues.
The other part about the entire issue not being engine specific either. The turbo doesn't have more torque than the V6 down low which was confirmed by someone who actually owns a turbo engine

Now, based on the answer to number one, the 2.0L doesn't make more torque than the 3.2 until around 2,700 rpm. If you floor the engine with the brakes on, it won't go above 2,700 rpm, therefore, the 2.0L will make less torque than the 3.2 if all the wheels are clamped on by the brakes

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
274 Posts
I think it will do just fine, generally on a flat surface with articulation the vehicle will make it in 4-high it just requires steady pressure on the gas pedal and a lot of it continuously until the traction control system can sort it out
It looks flat in the video, but that part is probably at least a 25 degree angel. My 6 year old was filming, and was also standing on the slope, so it looks flat. We did actually get some rain after about 6 weeks of none, so the conditions might not be the same.

·
Registered
2019 TH/E 2.0T
936 Posts
The other part about the entire issue not being engine specific either. The turbo doesn't have more torque than the V6 down low which was confirmed by someone who actually owns a turbo engine
Fair enough. But also to be complete I posted this:
Unless the stock 3.2L in the Cherokee somehow different than the 3.6L and produces more torque at the lower range, the 2.0L Turbo torque comes in around 3,000 RPM and goes much higher than the 3.6. Even though the 2018 has eTorque, it is out of the picture long before the engine torque curve comes back. The 2021 JLs don't have eTorque and I've seen the "stopped spin" on hills with that. Does the 3.2 produce more torque at, say, 2,500 RPM? Probably. Does it produce more torque at 3,500 RPM? Definitely not. Are the cars in the videos at 2,500 RPM? Nope. How high? Don't know, but it's whining like they are maybe 4,000 RPM or higher. Well into the 2.0L Turbo's peak torque band.
So now I know there is a rev limiter at 2700 RPMs in 4-low, but there certainly is a much higher rev limiter in 4-high. How high? Maybe you can find out?

I suppose there is mild disagreement about the torque at higher revs, but I think we are all on the same page now. Thanks! (with all sincerity).

Reactions: Tyler-98-W68

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
4,065 Posts
Picking your line, and throttle control also play a key role...😎

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
4,065 Posts
So now I know there is a rev limiter at 2700 RPMs in 4-low, but there certainly is a much higher rev limiter in 4-high. How high?
Limiter is set near redline I do believe. I've bounced it a time or two when I forgot I was still in auto stick...😎

·
Premium Member
3,712 Posts
So I suppose there is mild disagreement about the torque at higher revs, but I think we are all on the same page now.
The issue with engine ratings is there is a bunch of different ratings for the same engine (being 3.6 pentastars since they are in a variety of vehicles)

The most direct comparison would be the 3.6 in the Chrysler 200 UF platform 2015-2017
262ft/lbs at 4250rpm the 3.2 is 239ft/lbs at 4400rpm.

Then the 3.6 in the WK2 Grand Cherokee is 260ft/lbs at 4800rpm. If that's the case the cherokee 3.2 MAY have more torque at certain points lower in the RPM but then has less as the rpms rise vs the 3.6.

The 3.6 used in the Ram 1500's has 269ft/lbs at 4175rpm.

The engine is not different between all the models of 3.6 (exception being the 2016+ Pentastar upgrade engine)

The only difference is in the VVT Cam timing between models.
Example. Chargers have 293hp and 305hp versions with different torque numbers (the 305hp version has 8ft/lbs more)
It's the same engine PCM programming is exactly the same with the exception of VVT cam timing being different on the higher HP versions, same with the Ram 1500 version. The VVT cams can be changed for more power or more economy. In my 2016 the VVT cam adjustments which were made starting at 2200rpm made a very large difference in performance both down low and up high.

81 - 86 of 86 Posts