2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Autotrader has an interesting article comparing the 2014 Cherokee to the RAV4. They focus on a few areas such as reliability and technology but curiously, exclude others like ride, interior comfort, not to mention offroad ability:wink:. Still an interesting comparison. You can read the whole thing at the link below, but here are some highlights (I do like the bolded part of their recommendations):

Reliability
Given its brand-new status, the Jeep Cherokee hasn't yet been given a predicted reliability rating by experts at J.D. Power. The RAV4, however, earned .... better-than-average reliability..... Jeep offers a slightly longer powertrain warranty: 5 years or 100,000 miles compared to the Toyota's 5 years or 60,000 miles. The Toyota, however, boasts one advantage that the Jeep can't offer: 2 years or 25,000 miles of free maintenance.

Fuel Economy
Drivers who prioritize fuel economy will prefer the RAV4, as it boasts slightly higher numbers than the Cherokee -- though the ratings are so close that we suspect most drivers will get about the same mileage with either crossover.

Safety
While both crossovers offer a long list of features .... the Cherokee includes even more, such as a forward-collision warning system with automatic braking and an advanced lane-departure warning system that will nudge the wheel if you start to drift out of your lane. As a result, we give the Cherokee a slight victory when it comes to safety.

Technology
...The Jeep also offers several high-tech gadgets that the Toyota just can't touch.....In the end, the Jeep is definitely the choice for shoppers interested in the latest technology.

AutoTrader's Advice
Deciding between the 2014 Jeep Cherokee and the 2014 Toyota RAV4 is surprisingly difficult; both crossovers offer a range of items that we appreciate, but we'll put it this way: If you want a simple, reliable crossover with ample cargo room and reasonable efficiency, the RAV4 is the way to go. Drivers interested in thinking outside the box -- and those who emphasize gadgets over dependability -- will want the Cherokee.

http://www.autotrader.com/research/...rokee-vs-2014-toyota-rav4-which-is-better.jsp

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
dawhites, post some pictures of your new Latitude. Congrats on your new purchase.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Re: the included maintenance, unfortunately that's what you usually don't get when you buy a domestic brand. My Infinitis both have maintenance free for 3 years (and free washes for life), the main thing I'm going to miss buying this Jeep is the white glove service I get from my Infiniti dealer. But oh well I can always get my hand delivered soda and chocolate covered rice krispy bar when I bring the wife's QX in for a free wash.

·
Registered
490 Posts
When I tested the RAV4, along with all the other leading smaller SUV/crossovers, I was pleasantly surprised with how it handled. But everything else about it felt cheap/outdated.

·
Registered
277 Posts
The RAV4 wasn't really on my radar. #1 because my daughter doesn't play soccer and #2 because I have a p*nis. :)

But seriously...Other things they don't mention that affected my lean towards the Jeep are:

1. A V6 with the highest towing capacity in its class.
2. TH model has one of the highest ground clearances in its class (from what I saw).
3. It says "Jeep" on the front and not Toyota...Seriously...That means something.

·
Registered
252 Posts
We had 2 Highlanders and several friends with RAV4s, so I'm very familiar with the capabilities and reliability from Toyota. But the RAV4 and Cherokee are made/designed for completely different purposes. We didn't even consider a RAV4, which is fine if you just need a good commute vehicle, running to the store, or for vacation needs. However, if you need something which has real 4X4 capabilities (which the RAV4 lacks), which can handle severe winter conditions, off-road trails to get to camping/hiking/fishing areas, or to even do real Rubicon Trail-like excursions, then there is only 1 choice, for us.

Reactions: zzjdzz

·
Registered
402 Posts
The RAV4 wasn't really on my radar. #1 because my daughter doesn't play soccer and #2 because I have a p*nis. :)

But seriously...Other things they don't mention that affected my lean towards the Jeep are:

1. A V6 with the highest towing capacity in its class.
2. TH model has one of the highest ground clearances in its class (from what I saw).
3. It says "Jeep" on the front and not Toyota...Seriously...That means something.
HAHA.. this!

·
Registered
421 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
I test drove the Rav-4 and honestly thought it would quickly make it to the top of my list (before I even learned about the Cherokee). However, the interior was a negative for me. There is this plushy type bar that goes across the top of your knees in the passenger seat and it had no function and just completely ruined the inside for me. It blocked the controls also, as they radio was really low and just not in a comfortable position for driving. I was surprised at how quickly the Rav-4 dissipated off of my list but I was really happy when I finally discovered the Cherokee that had an amazing interior and lots more technology available!

·
Registered
19 Posts
While the Rav4 wasn't on my radar, the Ford Escape and Mazda CX-5 certainly were. I didn't care much for the Ford but the Mazda sprung out the traps like a scolded cat. In many regards the Mazda was a better car than the Cherokee but it had no personality. The Jeep did, and in spades. I can forgive certain short comings because the Cherokee has such personality and have been really pleased with my purchase.

·
Administrator
7,627 Posts
@decarbone: your post almost hits exactly where the RAV4 lost me. The Cherokee wasn't even on my radar then (August 2013). The Compass and Patriot were just not going to put me back in a Jeep....but then the Cherokee popped on the radar and that was it.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I admit that the rav 4 is nice. did it ever cross my mind when shopping for a new car? Nope! purchased a latitude yesterday.

You're almost as bad as me, I bought a 2014 Tundra SR5 TRD Crewmax while I was in Oregon last month....

As an aside, the baby made it on September 1st (Labor Day) Its getting close for you guys!

Reactions: dawhitesTH

·
Registered
21 Posts
I bought the one of the 1st RAV4 in 2006 when they came out with the new revision and the V6. we have 97K on it and for the most part it has been good reliable vehicle. it is a lot of fun to drive, is very quick. when we decided to purchase a new ride it was on our list along with CX5, forester and a few others. I to liked the CX5, the new RAV4 was off the list when they decided to drop the V6. the more I read about the Cherokee and looking at this form it became a no brainer!!! Our limited will be here the week of the 22nd, can't wait. Oh and it is the V6!!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts