2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

Cherokee Nightmare

12K views 26 replies 12 participants last post by  Gurgle 
#1 · (Edited)
In late June 2018 I bought a 2019, 6 cylinder latitude 4x4. The day I drove it off the lot a check engine light came on. I have a reader that connects to my phone it said 2 errors "Engine too lean & Catalyst System below threshold. I made an appointment for service. By the time the of the service appointment a week later the error disappeared. So after talking to the service rep, I cancelled the appointment. August came and the problem appeared again this time just the threshold error. I took it in and the rep saw the error, but it disappeared so they did nothing. Then the nightmare began. The light came back on immediately after driving to work the next day. Took it back and they replaced one of the catalytic converters. They said stuff was coming out of it. Drove it for a couple days then same error but this time the engine was making awful noises. The service department said they thought there was water in the gas and wanted to charge me $400 to remove the tank and empty it. No water! They checked the oil and found metal in it. It took them until late October to replace the engine over 2 months. I get the vehicle back and sure enough next day check engine light, catalyst threshold. I take it back and after a couple days they said they replaced the O2 sensor. I don't make the 10 miles home and the light comes on again. This time I write a letter to the dealership owner listing the problems I had. Including them forgetting to put the access cover to the oil on the engine. Them testing it and emptying a full tank and giving it back empty, dirty and 445 extra miles on it. This is not the first such testing, they have put as many miles or more than I did on it. Last time I checked it had 5448 miles on it. But I wouldn't know because I gave them a last chance to fix it in 10 days on Nov 1st. I have not seen the vehicle since. After the 10 days I sent a form letter to FCA notifying them that they were well past VA lemon law and requested a new vehicle. Two weeks ago I received a call from a rep saying to call the service manager at the dealer and he would call me the next Monday. I called the service manager and he said they were working with Chrysler Engineers because though they fixed the catalyst issue by replacing the entire system, now they have a "communication issue with the transmission". I have not heard anything back from the Chrysler rep at all. I guess he just wanted to say hi because that is all he ever really communicated, that and a broken promise to call me. I have not had possession of the vehicle in months and have been paying payments, property taxes and interest on it. It has been a nightmare and FCA has been no help at all!

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
During the short time I had it back after the first catalytic converter change, the Cherokee went into a protection mode after I merged onto an interstate. It wouldn't go faster than about 30 mph the traffic was in excess of 70mph. And because of construction there was no place to stop. I got to where I could pull over and after shutting it off and putting it in park it was drive able again. The vehicle stalled in the middle of a busy intersection while turning. Again I had to put it in park shut it off and restart.
It scared the crap out of me 2x. So far I would be that with the engine replacement which I saw what they billed FCA almost $10k for just that and all the hours the service department is billing, and exhaust parts I bet they have paid at least half of the MSRP on service.

#5 ·
I'm avoiding getting a lawyer because then the case gets sent to arbitration and from what I have seen it could take months more. That is coming from the lemon law lawyers site and googling others issues. I am under intense pressure from my significant other to lawyer up. My next move is to call the local news station they love this stuff. If I can be a squeaky wheel maybe they will figure out its in their best interest to settle this quickly. Especially since they have driven my vehicle with my back plate on it. And the same time I have the front plate on the back of my loaner. That is illegal in this state.

#9 ·
Yes they know. The real stupid part is they could have easily hung a dealer plate on it but didn't. Too lazy I'm guessing. I have bought 2 wranglers from these guys. There service department has lost parts. They have done it twice to me. Once the entire decorative cover for the top of the engine on my 2013 Wrangler Unlimited, and the filter access panel on this vehicle. I got them to scarf one up for this vehicle but didn't notice the cover on the wrangler until my next oil change. They are close by and their the only Jeep dealer in about 40 miles of me and their initial prices are usually better than the dealers further away. Except for recalls & warranty work I don't have anything done. They also have a history of trying to get you to have work done you don't need. Like the time after almost 10k miles on my Wrangler they wanted to change the fluids in both differentials and transfer case for a cost of over $900. Needless to say I got a second opinion elsewhere. The vehicle was only about 4 months old. And I had only brought it in for an electrical recall on the heated mirrors. Unfortunately I let them change the oil. That was when the top disappeared. Their reviews on yelp and elsewhere have loads of the same kind of stories. All about their service department. They love you when they are selling you something but afterwards not so much! My fault I guess, because now I needed them to be professional. I thought my Cherokee would be as hassle free as my Wranglers.

The Wranglers had only one issue, GLASS! Those fancy OEM windshields will crack if you look at them wrong. Took me 6 windshields in as many months to figure out that the generic safelight glass were the answer.

#10 ·
I followed the Lemon Law in VA. I sent them the form letter from the DMV website, the information including a very detailed letter explaining who, what, where and when. Copy of the receipts that weren't in the vehicle because I don't have access to it. And all I have received from FCA is a letter almost a month after I sent them the information a confirmation they received my letter and are forwarding it. An email from FCA of the person handling the STAR case, who didn't return my phone message. And a phone call from a rep, who didn't leave a number and no caller ID to call back that said he was handling my case and would call me the next Monday afternoon. And if he was handling my case it would have been nice if he had some knowledge of the case, like the fact I have driven it only about 40 miles total in 5 months. And haven't had access to the vehicle for months. That was 6 December, I have heard nothing from anyone. So I guess you were lucky. Because I'm dealing with the B team here. And I hope their Christmas has as much or more stress than mine.

#11 · (Edited)
According to VA Lemon Law:

• If the defect is not a serious safety defect, it must remain unfixed after three or four repair attempts (the number varies by state 3 for VA). CHECK
  • If the vehicle is in the shop a 30 days in a one-year period to fix one or more substantial warranty defects, it may fit the definition of a lemon. CHECK, CHECK, CHECK,CHECK, 1/2 CHECK (1 for each 30 day increment the dealer has had the vehicle)
  • The substantial defect must occur within a certain period of time (usually one or two years) or within a certain number of miles (usually 12,000 or 24,000). CHECK

#12 ·
Ahh, here's the difference, directly from the VA website:

"Virginia has a "Lemon Law." It is called the Virginia Motor Vehicle Warranty Enforcement Act.
Read Virginia’s “Lemon Law”

This law establishes a “lemon law” rights period ending 18 months after the date of the vehicle’s original delivery to the consumer. The provisions of Virginia's “Lemon Law” are enforceable by private action brought by the consumer, not by a governmental agency.
"

In GA, if the manufacturer doesn't behave, the Attorney General's office gets involved. VA law doesn't appear to be as consumer friendly.

Personally, I would stay the course with working the lemon law case through. As soon as you mention the word lawyer to anyone, they will stop talking to you and make everything go through your lawyer and FCA counsel. In my case, I got MUCH more with honey than with vinegar. I just had to be patient, and follow the process all the way through. I bought a '18 in mid-October of 2017, and started having issues with it. First visit to the dealer was Nov 2017, and it was in/out of the shop for more than 25 days. I filed final repair attempt paperwork in the beginning of Feb this year, and I finally picked up my new vehicle on April 5, so the process takes a while.

#13 · (Edited)
What I'm afraid of is the dealer claims the issue is fixed in January or February. I get forced into accepting it or I no longer have a loaner. Chrysler stops the process and 3 months later something else crops up and the whole process starts over. And meanwhile more miles get put on it. Because I know for a fact that they have put many miles in 'testing'. They have admitted as much. They were able to put 445 miles on it just one week. Or worse case the vehicle kills me. It almost succeeded when the freeway issue happened. I was less scared when a motorcycle accident put me in the hospital.

#15 ·
If the specific issue that they say is fixed comes back, as long as you are in your rights period, you pick up exactly where you left off.

If a new problem comes up, that is treated as such...a new "non conformity".

I would suggest contacting the AG office in VA and asking their advice on the matter. No, it's not legal advice, but they are there to protect consumers, so see what they have to say.

#18 ·
2 things for clarification, please and thank you in advance.

1. Why drive it off the lot with Check Engine light? Would have taken that vehicle right back and had the dealer void the paper work and asked for my trade in back.

2. Why go back to such and inept dealer? Definitely more than one FCA dealer in VA.

Reactions: ArizonaFred
#19 · (Edited)
1) I have never driven it off the lot with a check engine light. But 3 times it came back within 24 hours after it was supposedly 'fixed'. Same error. Once I didn't even make it home 8 miles away. And yes I brought it right back, which is why I haven't put even 50 miles on it since August. I have not had possession of the vehicle. I have been driving a series of loner vehicles that I had to get sales department to arrange because the service department initially refused. So the only ones driving it are them, and with my NASA vanity plate its hard to miss. I haven't sat in the car since 1 Nov and that was just to get stuff out of it.

2) I explained why: 40 miles vs about 8! Where I am located it is not many times practical to take it to the other Chrysler Dealers for service. Plus this vehicle has had a Star Case since August and a Chrysler engineer even come to look at it. The fact they called in help is the only reason that I kept it there. As I said, this is the first time I have ever really needed anything from their service department. I have bought 5 vehicles total from these guys. Like I stated before they are cheaper when they sell you a vehicle then their nearest Jeep Dealer usually by about 2 - 3 thousand dollars cheaper! I do shop around. Unfortunately for them after this is settled they won't get another dime in sales from me or my relatives. And since I am an Air Force retiree, a whole lot of the local service members now have learned about them. I have always known the service department sucks and would try and get maintenance done you don't need! This is the first time I have found out just how bad they really are. I am firmly convinced that had they really looked into the engine the first time I took it in then Chrysler wouldn't have had to replace it. But instead they first ignored it after the light went out and then just replaced a catalytic converter. They let a small engine noise become a bigger engine noise until it got so bad the engine started failing needed replacing. My wife's 2004 Sebring is still going strong for my niece. I had a dodge Avenger that lasted years and both of my Wrangler were relatively worry free. So I'm hoping Chrysler makes it right and I never have to deal with this dealer again. I have owned a lot of Chrysler vehicle since the 1970's including some late 60's early 70's muscle cars that are collector cars today. If things don't go well I may buy a Kia Sorento and that's not something A boy who grew up in a UAW family in Michigan would normally do!

#22 ·
1) I have never driven it off the lot with a check engine light. But 3 times it came back within 24 hours after it was supposedly 'fixed'. Same error. Once I didn't even make it home 8 miles away. And yes I brought it right back, which is why I haven't put even 50 miles on it since August. I have not had possession of the vehicle. I have been driving a series of loner vehicles that I had to get sales department to arrange because the service department initially refused. So the only ones driving it are them, and with my NASA vanity plate its hard to miss. I haven't sat in the car since 1 Nov and that was just to get stuff out of it.

2) I explained why: 40 miles vs about 8! Where I am located it is not many times practical to take it to the other Chrysler Dealers for service. Plus this vehicle has had a Star Case since August and a Chrysler engineer even come to look at it. The fact they called in help is the only reason that I kept it there. As I said, this is the first time I have ever really needed anything from their service department. I have bought 5 vehicles total from these guys. Like I stated before they are cheaper when they sell you a vehicle then their nearest Jeep Dealer usually by about 2 - 3 thousand dollars cheaper! I do shop around. Unfortunately for them after this is settled they won't get another dime in sales from me or my relatives. And since I am an Air Force retiree, a whole lot of the local service members now have learned about them. I have always known the service department sucks and would try and get maintenance done you don't need! This is the first time I have found out just how bad they really are. I am firmly convinced that had they really looked into the engine the first time I took it in then Chrysler wouldn't have had to replace it. But instead they first ignored it after the light went out and then just replaced a catalytic converter. They let a small engine noise become a bigger engine noise until it got so bad the engine started failing needed replacing. My wife's 2004 Sebring is still going strong for my niece. I had a dodge Avenger that lasted years and both of my Wrangler were relatively worry free. So I'm hoping Chrysler makes it right and I never have to deal with this dealer again. I have owned a lot of Chrysler vehicle since the 1970's including some late 60's early 70's muscle cars that are collector cars today. If things don't go well I may buy a Kia Sorento and that's not something A boy who grew up in a UAW family in Michigan would normally do!

Understand both situations, just your original post stated you drove off the lot with check engine light, appreciate the clarification!!

BTW, former USCG Aux, O-1, Father-in-Law is retired FCA, he and POS '11 GMC Terrain converted myself to FCA. Also nearest dealer to myself is 5 miles, wouldn't take my enemies vehicle their as they try to charge for unnecessary service and have way too many other brands they sell and their commercials are annoying as can be. My purchasing and servicing dealer is 20 miles, one way and, worth it.

#20 ·
If you have been without your Cherokee over 30 days it is time for FCA to take it back and give you one that will actually give you some service. I love my TH and purchased several, but I had one that had a bad transmission and they replaced it and it still was not correct. So, I forget who I contacted but it did not cost me any money and in about 2 months they replaced my vehicle at no cost to me and I did not use an attorney. I may have the paper work here somewhere but if I am understanding what you are writing, I would be doing something to get that vehicle replaced. If you do use an attorney and win, I believe that FCA will have to pay your attorney's fee but I don't see why that would be necessary. It sounds like you may have a lousy dealer but can't judge that. My dealer worked with me and helped me get mine replaced. Sure sorry to hear about these problems as I still love my Cherokee despite the one that did have a major problem.

Reactions: UN4GTBL
#21 · (Edited)
Yes, I have not really had issues with any Chrysler before. My father retired from GM, my uncle from Ford I have received a bit of sometimes not so light hearted ribbing. I guess because I always wrenched most of my cars, I never really appreciated the need for a top quality service department. At my age and how crowded the engine compartment in a transverse mounted vehicle is. Other than oil & brake pads etc, those days are done. I assume that FCA will stand by their product and make it right. It is the months waiting with very little information that has me stressed. @JeepCares contacted my regional rep yesterday, still waiting on his call. I do appreciate them contacting him for me since I haven't had much luck. The first month before the issues really began I liked the Cherokee, though the transmission seemed to make its mission to rob all the fun out of the V6. Do all of them not like to shift down? My 2013 Wrangler was a whole lot of fun to drive with a lot more power than my 2011 Wrangler. I will say though, the KIA Sorento V6 AWD, isn't a bad vehicle that has been my loaner now for a couple months. Jeep needs to up its game in the Cherokee. A manual transmission or a better automatic would be the place to start. I'm glad you like your Cherokee, I don't for a minute think all of them are like mine. I see way too many on the road.

#23 ·
Cherokee Nightmare UPDATE

Friday the 21st the FCA rep called me but unfortunately could not provide me any information. Mainly he called because at the same time the service manager from the dealer arrived at my home with my Cherokee. The vehicle was detailed and after me putting about 150 miles on it it seems to be fixed. The FCA rep said he would contact me after New Years and should have the details of their offer. I am not ready to say it is fixed. I still don't know what other issues are lurking. The dealer service manager apologized and seems sincere. He told me we was well aware of the abysmal service department he inherited when he was hired around Thanksgiving. He told me he had to let 2 mechanics and a service rep go. So maybe they will get better. I hope so for other customers. I'm waiting, wondering what FCA will do. Because if I can I would like a different vehicle I'm just not confident at this point. And with all I have put up with, I want to know if they will make it right.

#24 ·
Well I just received a call from the FCA rep and I'm so upset I can't see straight. He said that he is closing out the request for a buyback because the Cherokee is running right now. I got it back Dec 21st 2018 it is now Jan 3rd 2019. I was without the vehicle for 5 months, for 2 1/2 months I has in a car, I couldn't haul my band equipment. None of the vehicles I has loaned could pull a trailer. I had to make multiple trips to the dealer, the dealer has conveniently forgotten their promise of a maintenance agreement. Not to mention the stress, and all I get in return is a 1-800 number if something comes up? I KNEW they were going to pull this crap! Stall for months until they could get it running without a check engine light and then drop me. What a jerk! It is evening now but I will be calling that number, this is far far far from over!!!!

#25 ·
Please update us on this- I've not been without mine for as long, but it's in for the third time in 2 months and it's pushing 15 business days in total- the Lemon Law in Mass. After that I have to send a letter and they get one more attempt.

Have you talked to the Attorney General in your state?

I'm ripshit for making payments while I'm driving either a rental or loaner- I cannot imagine 5 months of paying on a car in the shop!

#26 ·
I have researched it and contacted the 1-800 number they are determined that a replacement vehicle is off the table. I feel they are dealing in bad faith because even though they were correct that from the time I contacted the company and gave notice they do have 1 chance to fix it. But conveniently he left off the part about them having 15 days to fix it. I gave notice to the company in November, I sent the notice to the address listed in the FCA care booklet. It was mailed overnight delivery on 14 November. They brought me the vehicle on 21 December. They offered to credit me 4 months of payments towards a maintenance agreement. I feel they will say anything to get out of replacing the vehicle. A lie by omission is still a lie.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.