2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

Do you think Jeep will rename the Cherokee to eliminate confusion with the Grand Cherokee?

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
We've seen dumber things happen lately, so don't think Stellantis/FCA/Jeep will be above pandering to a minority.

·
Premium Member
2014 V6 Trailhawk
186 Posts
You think the Qashqai people of Iran will appeal to Nissan to stop using their ethnic name too?

This whole thing is silly to me

Reactions: Duke2015

·
Registered
247 Posts
We've seen dumber things happen lately, so don't think Stellantis/FCA/Jeep will be above pandering to a minority.
When the "minority" consists of the group of people after whom the vehicle is actually named, surely they deserve a greater say than you or I?

I predict that Jeep will discontinue both the Cherokee and Grand Cherokee nameplates within five years. (In fact, rolling out brand-new BEV Jeeps would be a convenient way to introduce new vehicle names as well without too much focus on the names being abandoned.) Once these issues get seriously raised, they typically only end in one way, no matter how long it takes. If the only justification for continued use is brand value -- as appears to be the case with Jeep -- the company eventually will give in, when the PR damage threatens to exceed the brand value. Just ask Washington NFL owner Daniel Snyder, who once boasted, "We'll never change the name. It's that simple. NEVER — you can use caps." How's that "NEVER" looking now?

Of course, Snyder's team name was much more offensive than "Cherokee," which is probably why little attention has been focused on Jeep until now, while various sports teams have been targets of activists for years. "Cherokee" is just a name, not a slur. But again, once this process starts in earnest, it becomes very hard to resist.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
If that actually happens, I'm rebadging mine to the Jeep Offender, but then again, Land Rover will say that sounds too much like Defender, and they'll try and sue me or something...
thumb_ieduelingstillexisted-bettherewouldbeamwhole-lot-less-offended-people-mghip-com-are-thou...png

Reactions: KL14

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
I'll follow instructions more closely next time. I meant to vote "no", LoL.

·
Registered
92 Posts
When the "minority" consists of the group of people after whom the vehicle is actually named, surely they deserve a greater say than you or I?
No, no they don't. Not when we're talking about a vehicle. There is nothing inherently offensive about a vehicle. The Cherokee Nation is just jumping on the woke PC bandwagon.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Well how about this Chief Hoskin of the Cherokee Nation, the term "Native American" offends me, and the gazillions of "Non Indigenous" people that have been born in America since November 11, 1620. I mean really, technically if a person of ANY ethnicity that was actually born in America IS native American right??? I'm offended, and I think that term needs to be changed to "Indigenes" like it is in literally every other country on the planet, and I demand action!!! I've never heard them called Native Canadians in Canada right??? I get dropping the whole "Indian" thing, because that would be people from India...

OMG, see how stupid that sounds??? LMFAO!!! Get over it!!! I guess I'm just a "Native Italian, German, Scotch, Englishman" that just happened to be born in America then right??? Sorry, I couldn't resist...😎🇺🇸

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
This thread should be allowed to slip back to where it was and belongs. Out of sight, wayy out.
Well, we knew that it was just a matter of time that this would come into play. Surprised it took this long...LOL!!!😎

Reactions: KL14

·
Registered
789 Posts
they might do it for PC reasons but not because "its confusing"

saying goodbye to my Cleveland Indians too.

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
I'm rebadging mine to the Jeep Offender
That's downright hillarious (y)

I really wish the Jeep marketing people had been a little bolder and much less lazy, and resisted resurrecting the Cherokee name for the KL. Current matter aside, looking for parts, accessories, advise, or anything just suck.

·
Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav
391 Posts
I think "Invader" would be a cool name, My Viking heritage supports it.
Hell, American history supports it... :D

·
Registered
2015 Cherokee Trailhawk
456 Posts
This is a topic that will only go nowhere, guaranteed. I did hear just today that the "Cherokee" and "Grand Cherokee" are slated for renaming. The PC cleansing is in full-swing.

·
Registered
26 Posts
No but with how closely aligned all their "sub compact" and "compact" products are overlapping with each other, either the Compass or the Cherokee would likely need to phase out of the lineup to free up the other to take more marketspace.

·
Registered
740 Posts
This is a topic that will only go nowhere, guaranteed. I did hear just today that the "Cherokee" and "Grand Cherokee" are slated for renaming. The PC cleansing is in full-swing.

These are next:

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
I ways thought naming it Cherokee, was a form of honoring the name.

EDIT: but if someone named their product after my family name, without permission, I would be annoyed. Maybe the Jeep brand can find a way to honor the legacy & future of the Cherokee Nation, so they can continue to use the name?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I ways thought naming it Cherokee, was a form of honoring the name.
That's what I always thought too. Maybe they are more just as mad as most of us that Fiat is in control (europeans again) and turning them into pavement princesses, instead of proper utility vehicles like back in the amc days.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts