2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

Do you think Jeep will rename the Cherokee to eliminate confusion with the Grand Cherokee?

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you think Jeep will rename the Cherokee to eliminate confusion with the Grand Cherokee? There's only 2 choices in the poll so pick a side.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Do you think Jeep will rename the Cherokee to eliminate confusion with the Grand Cherokee? There's only 2 choices in the poll so pick a side.
I doubt it will, unless of course, some jacka$$ decides that the name is offensive to the Native Americans and petitions FCA to change it. Probably would be the same guy that caused all of the sports teams with names relative to the Native Americans to change theirs. LOL!!!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Doubt it. The Cherokee was produced since 83 i think and then the Grand Cherokee came in 93 and have been side by side since then.

·
Registered
9,849 Posts
Are there rumors about this ? I don't see a problem with Grand (Caravan, Grand Caravan ?) Daimler Chrysler did rename the Cherokee to Liberty in 2001 (2002 model year - the KJ), but just in North America, it was still a Cherokee elsewhere.
The current problem they may have is not so much confusing names, but just too many CUVs in the lineup. The Grand is the RWD platform SUV.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Doubt it. The Cherokee was produced since 83 i think and then the Grand Cherokee came in 93 and have been side by side since then.
Actually, there was a substatial hiatus of the Cherokee from 2002-2013. The Grands were 1993 to present. So 1974-2001, 2014-present, as far as year models go on the Cherokee.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I doubt it will, unless of course, some jacka$$ decides that the name is offensive to the Native Americans and petitions FCA to change it. Probably would be the same guy that caused all of the sports teams with names relative to the Native Americans to change theirs. LOL!!!
Some of those names are actually pretty offensive and should absolutely be changed. Redskins? Seriously?

·
Registered
740 Posts
Actually, there was a substatial hiatus of the Cherokee from 2002-2013. The Grands were 1993 to present. So 1974-2001, 2014-present, as far as year models go on the Cherokee.
Like @Mark_ said, the Cherokee hiatus was only in North America. The Liberty (AKA "KJ") was called "Cherokee" everywhere else. So the Cherokee name has been around since 1974.

With all of the PC stuff going around, who knows? I'm offended by the word "Wrangler" and the connotations therein, so why stop with Cherokee?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I think they should bring back the Honcho name...LOL!!! I mean really? I had a Renegade, and it was a CJ, now the Renegade is a "Rolling Toaster" car!!! What could be next for Jeeps "Revolving Name Game'??? I'm sure it will be something that makes us all say "Wait, what???"

·
Registered
9,849 Posts
I think they should bring back the Honcho name...LOL!!! I mean really? I had a Renegade, and it was a CJ, now the Renegade is a "Rolling Toaster" car!!! What could be next for Jeeps "Revolving Name Game'??? I'm sure it will be something that makes us all say "Wait, what???"
Don't forget this KJ Renegade ;)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What could be next for Jeeps "Revolving Name Game'???
How 'bout EAGLE as in AMC Eagle. The current Cherokee has more in common with it than ???

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
They are rumored to have two new models, Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer, so I doubt they have some new found aversion to 'Grand'.

·
Registered
3 Posts
That "confusion" has been around since the original Grand Cherokee was introduced. It's mainly the Grand owners that believe that their is no other Cherokee then a Grand.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had an Eagle 4x4 Wagon when I lived in Eagle River, AK LOL

With all the PC stuff going on, Jeep needs to do something like Tesla.

They have the model S, 3, and X (S3X). Elon wanted "E" but Ford had the rights to "Model E".

Maybe FCA can come up with something like Model __ :

Grand Cherokee
Renegade
cOmpass
Wrangler
gLadiator
E (the other cherokee)
De Big Wagoneer

GROWLED

OK, best i could do.

Post your ideas of what the PC names should be of the 6 + 1 new one car names should be.

Peace, Love, and Stay Safe

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
That "confusion" has been around since the original Grand Cherokee was introduced. It's mainly the Grand owners that believe that their is no other Cherokee then a Grand.
Yup. Stick around this forum for longer than a week and that will prove itself true many times over.

via tapatalk : 2014 V6 Trailhawk

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Eliminate the fugly Gladiator.

Bring back the Commander, the largest of the lineup.

Bring back the Comanche, but base it on the Commander platform. (Have to stay competitive in the market, nobody in 2020 wants a pickup the size of a Mighty Max anymore, whick a KL pickup would be)

Eliminate the Renegade and don't replace it with anything and forget it ever happened. Compass should be the lowest model.

Bring back the Wagoneer.

Every model gets a Trailhawk version (besides Wrangler, that's its own thing). Upgrade all Trailhawks to make them more stout, and design them in a way that lends itself to aftermarket upgradeability. As it is now, the Trailhawk is juuuust capable enough to not be a marketing gimmick. But there's a low ceiling on what you can do to make them better.

That is how Jeep redeems itself and solidifies its rightful position as an adventure-ready brand. Will they do it? HeII no.

via tapatalk : 2014 V6 Trailhawk

·
Premium Member
948 Posts
I doubt it too. But never underestimate The Stupidity of the American Public.

Reactions: Duke2015

·
Registered
94 Posts
I don't know how everyone else feels about it in general.
But I'm getting tired of all this PC Bull ****. Lets also forget about History and rewrite it, remove historic statues, censorship etc.
Its getting old already. Too many people crying because all of a sudden their feelings are hurt.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I don't know how everyone else feels about it in general.
But I'm getting tired of all this PC Bull ****. Lets also forget about History and rewrite it, remove historic statues, censorship etc.
Its getting old already. Too many people crying because all of a sudden their feelings are hurt.
With you 1000%

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 62 Posts