2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I was until I broke the casing around the connection, but all the issues were the same before that, I have a new one landing tomorrow too.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Yeah that wasn't "the" problem, and still waiting for the pcm, haven't shipped it and it's been over 2 weeks. Debating ordering a fuse panel (power distribution module) also.

·
Registered
2016 Cherokee Trailhawk
100 Posts
You are unplugging the Battery sensor before disconnecting the negative terminal (and plugging it back in after connecting it), aren't you?
What issues does it cause if you don’t?

I may not have unplugged it before disconnecting ground to install the wires for my light bar 😬

·
Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav
1,500 Posts
What issues does it cause if you don’t?

I may not have unplugged it before disconnecting ground to install the wires for my light bar 😬
It's a sensitive bit of electronics, and perhaps the last thing you would want to damage. Like feeding a Mogwai after midnight!
Bird Water Beak Feather Wing

Reactions: Leems

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I jumped it a few times over a year ago when the old battery was dieing, and changed the battery without disconnecting the sensor, nothing bad happened... I was disconnecting it until I cracked the plastic by the connection, at which point I had my parts store order another one. Nothing changed with the new one, but it's not broken.. so that helps. Still can't get my cherokee to stop being a B.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
After 7 days of no battery current, my cherokee decided to be compliant for a few minutes. I put the connections on the battery, and the dash console loaded, recognized the fobs, and loaded everything in "run", but didn't turn over (click), the dash console died out when the starter tried to turn and loaded again, tried jump pack but it was the same. It was still being compliant so I tried the code reader, was 7 codes permanent, they repeated - lost communication with high speed control bus, antilock brakes system, and body control module. Then it went back to being noncompliant again and all lights and messages and the code reader couldn't connect anymore.

Oh yeah, still waiting for flagship1 to mail me a pcm...

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
4,938 Posts
Definitely sounds like a voltage issue to me. Bad battery, bad connection, not just at the battery, or a bad ground somewhere. There's several ground straps, and the connector at the starter has shown to be a problem a few times. I would start at the battery, and follow both the positive and the grounds, and look for a loose, or bad connection...😎

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Ok, I went through the harness again, and again. Disconnected every connection around the engine and all the way to the rear end, pulled some dash panels off and looked in there too. Finally got the pcm after a month (flagship1 is slow) and hooked it up, dash loaded, turned the key and everything shut off, charging the battery didn't change anything forstarting.. but the key fobs lock and unlock the doors, etc, progress.. . so today got an interstate battery and hooked it up, dash loaded, touchscreen loaded, radio came on, panic button works (lock buttons on the front doors don't?) Windows in back doors works but not the front (?), turned to run and it all loaded, and the engine started... then promptly shut itself off after 3 seconds... service electric braking systems, airbags, and 4wd service messages... tried 3 times with the same results and disconnected the battery...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Dehumidifier ran inside for 2 days, pulled over half a gallon, internals all work again, got codes for the engine, all loads and starts then shuts itself off after a few seconds. Map sensor, coolant level sensor and cooling fans high voltage, engine options and some other stuff.... going through the engine again

·
Registered
875 Posts
Dehumidifier ran inside what, the car? Did you look for water in the spare tire area, or in the storage nooks in the rear? You originally said the car was in the rain, did it get swamped going in or out? Did you check the ground straps on the bottom of the engine?

Really just grasping at straws here….

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Yes, inside the jeep. No it wasn't ever swamped. Yes it's rainy and damp up here, moreso this year than the last few and puddles everywhere. It's been through brooks and standing puddles a lot, but not really around the time it stopped working. Jeep does jeep things, 1/3 of my driving at the minimum is unpaved road and atv trails to maintain camps, and get to the fishing spots that are too rugged to get to that the flatlanders refuse to try. Traveling anywhere is a couple thousand feet of elevation change...

I'm suspecting that my wench left a window open while camping, that's the last time it worked properly.. or dumped water in and around the passenger seat. Also a week or so before, it was doing some weird multiple misfire bs while coming out a particularly rough road, skidplate touched a couple times, and I checked everything and it was fine after sitting a few minutes, code cleared itself.

Grounds, I've checked all the connections and removed and reconnected all of them, none are bare and touching other things. Chased the harness everywhere outside of it and what I could get to inside (removed every panel that just pops out). There was water around the spare tire, in the insulation and the passenger tail light in the hatch had a leak on the top, and rust crack under it a few inches, all that is gone now and trex tape on the crack to keep the water out (I'll find a vinyl Bandaid somewhere for it ;) )

Now that it loads properly inside, the codes are all engine electrical, and I can't find the spot. Used a few wire diagrams from other posts on here to get an idea of where I should be looking Also. (I couldn't even get codes for a month...)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
P0610 x2
P0118
P0123
P0222
P2122
P2127
P0108
P0480
P0481
U0001
U0121

Engine light and mileage blinking

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
I don't know what is going on.
What I do know is that the vehicle should not be driven when the check engine light is flashing.
Driving it can cause more damage.
A flashing ondometer means a Proxy alignment is needed to get the modules to communicate.
In my opinion you should get your Jeep flat bed truck delivered to a reputable Jeep dealer where they can do a proper diagnosis.
Proper diagnosis with a scan tool will likely be expensive, installing faulty parts will likely be expensive.
And this is my optimistic opinion. Good luck, you are going to need it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Been trying to handle it myself because the nearest actual reputable jeep dealership around here is about 300 miles away... there's a dealership about 20 miles away, where mine originally came from, but I've called them a bunch of times over the last month and a half and they have no clue... and they are 3+ weeks backlogged...

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
300 miles would be a really long tow.
Have you checked for water under the trunk floor? There are several modules in there that can be damaged by water.
There are Posts on this Forum about water leaking into the trunk.
I haven't deciphered your error codes but somehow you need to try and figure out which was the first error which then caused the remaining error codes.
When my tone ring cracked every module that received a bad signal generated its own error codes.
You might need to invest in an Alfa OBD scanner.
Recently I found that you can do an online subscription to the Hayne's manual.
I have the paper book and it seems to be well written.
Either one should be helpful.
My fear is that even if you are able to do a complete repair a Proxy alignment will still be required, which can only be done by a Jeep dealer.
Maybe the Alfa OBD can do a Proxy alignment. Somebody on this Forum probably knows the answer.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 · (Edited)
There's no water left inside, it condensed on the metal surfaces and glass inside so it had dampened all the insulation, dehumidifier sucked all that out over 3 days. A month with the windows cracked under the vent guards will do that.

I may have found a short, piece of harness that runs around the front of the engine and through the firewall, down the oil check tube There's a piece of it that goes through in an aluminum wrap, touching the engine, it runs by a bunch of the sensors in the list of codes above - nope

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I stuffed a piece of trex tape between the aluminum wrap and the engine and the codes changed to pretty much all module synch, same code numbers, but different obd2 descriptions... I can get into the engine options and all that with this reader, but I have no real knowledge of that. It is a new pcm. The map sensor is a reading code description, throttle sensor inputs minimum and maximum, cooling fan doesn't seem to be recognized, etc. Not reading as cooling fans high voltage, or map sensor high voltage, like it was.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Well... the old one (pcm) works just fine... apparently... FML ... something was soaked inside, or all the things I moved around, one of those was an issue... letting it run a bit so I can get the transaxle temp up to measure the level before I start putting this things pieces back together.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts