2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Living in NY, northern in the mountains. I unlocked it with the fob Saturday, opened and closed the passenger doors, 20 minutes later I tried to start it and got nothing, speedometer lights come on, doors lock and unlock with the door controls after I squish the brakes, drive lights work... but no dash console info, no key fob reaction to locks, no ignition recognition, just dead. Tried to jump it with a pack and the pack said it was full charge, tried to reset it several ways, cleaned the terminals, swapped the fob batteries and neither worked, no change.. 5 hours later it decided to run again like nothing ever happened (camping in a spot that tow truck can't get in and out of, of course)... got out, got food, started and stopped engine a few times in different places, so went back to camping.
Sunday morning, unlocked with the fob again, opened and closed passenger doors, half hour later dead again, same deal, allotted 9 days for camping, but after the first two, picked up camp and after hour and a half, it decided to work again so we left... on the way out of there it was OK, but noticed it didn't go into mud/sand mode like it said when I switched it, so went to the property's house to do some work, got done and went to leave, jeep was dead again. Finally got it to start again and it was skipping (like when it throws multiple misfire from bad gas), rpm was low (500ish) and then it revved itself to 3000ish rpm and all the indicators flashing and the cab alarms going off, turned and pulled the key and it ran for another few seconds before shutting off and dead again... so we stayed there over night.
Monday morning I got it to move, so I put it in a better spot, it had indicators flashing while moving, stayed running, no revving, but had indicators, shut it off and got a ride to work. After work it started, my friend and I looked over the fuses, terminals, all under the hood for any electrical damage, it ran decent but service 4wd and traction control were blinking. He left, I moved it to the house again and put our stuff in and it was dead for half an hour. As soon as it started again I brought it two miles from there to where it is now at an uncle's place to use his code reader, the whole ride down every time I hit any sort of road feature, the traction control or service 4wd indicators blinked and alarm. Got it here and it was otherwise stable until I plugged the code reader in, dead. Got a ride to work this morning, and it's been dead the whole time since I got back to it, aside from loading once and passing out with the dash console saying a door was open with the key in ignition (pulled the positive to get it to shut up), and then once more same thing with no key in the ignition.
I live in mountains, the road to the campsite is rough and did tag the ground with the tow hitch frame in and out every time, drove through weeds, it's been raining a lot lately, and lots of mud... never had any issues like this before, but I had to replace the factory battery last summer. Every so often it will tell me the start stop service or 4wd systems are temporarily unavailable, but become available again without restart. I'm incredibly frustrated right now.

Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
I'd start with a proper load test on the battery, and check all connections and grounds. How old is the battery???馃槑

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got it last spring, I'm in the process of searching underside for harness damage. When it just decides to work, it fires up like it should. If the battery was too low then the dash and touch screen and everything would load just not start up

Registered
Got it last spring, I'm in the process of searching underside for harness damage. When it just decides to work, it fires up like it should. If the battery was too low then the dash and touch screen and everything would load just not start up
There's like 3 or 4 braided ground straps. We've seen problems with before, also the connection at the starter. Check all those...馃槑

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just swapped the battery from a ram, put it's in my jeep and my jeeps in it, voltage on the rams meters read the same for both, both started it, and didn't change anything for my jeep, didn't find any damage around the rear end either, found a rub spot around the rear driver side body bushing but the harness isn't damaged and the protector sleeve is still intact there too. Going to disconnect and reconnect both ends of all the grounds I can reach so they are fresh.

Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav
With a no start, you need to focus on the ground straps and harnesses in the engine compartment...

Reactions: Flybynightcru

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
With a no start, you need to focus on the ground straps and harnesses in the engine compartment...
How would the starter keep the dash systems from loading though? I don't even get indication that the doors are open when I open them

Registered
How would the starter keep the dash systems from loading though? I don't even get indication that the doors are open when I open them
Never said you had an issue with the starter, just said to focus on the connections/grounds in the front of the vehicle. Every circuit starts at the battery/fuse box and branches off.
And you need a continuous ground path back.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah I get that. This morning after battery disconnected all night, it started ok, 4wd and traction control lights, then it revved and the fan went maximum, all the service messages cycled and I pulled the key, it ran for 5 minutes with the key out and finally shut off. Going to test the relays after work, and pull the panel under the engine to reach other things to check

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Swapping the relays around didn't change anything, they all click. Pulled the pcm, some corrosion around that ground, and the white port. Sanded it and didn't change anything. Is the pcm case resealable if I bend the tabs out to look inside?

Registered
2015 Cherokee Trailhawk
Hey Tyler, are you out there and are you catching this?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's been off the battery overnight Las two nights. Both mornings it started and loaded, then after 45 seconds all indicators light up and it cycles through all the service messages, shifter lights all on also, revs to 2500ish rpm, fan goes to maximum and when I turn the key out the engine still runs for a few minutes. I got video yesterday morning with both my fobs on the dash and all the lights behind them lit up and the engine running. I have been disconnecting every connection in the engine compartment that I can find and inspecting then reconnecting, then reconnecting battery with the key sitting on off with the doors open to get a key in the ignition sounds. A few more on the bottom of the engine compartment. I removed all the relays again, checked all the fuses again, dash fuses too, no change. I want to open the computer by the battery to look at the circuit board.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Couldn't get the case apart, so put the battery back on without the pcm in, did the same things without it, as with it. Have to wait until tomorrow to set up an order for a new one, plug and play. Really only a couple other things it could be, can't get to a lot of connections and harness to inspect without taking a lot of things apart, and the fuse panels themselves (which 'look' ok), or the dash parts which I haven't tried ripping apart yet.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ordered a plug and play pcm this morning, won't get it for a few days. Got it to load a couple times and took the opportunity to try to use the code reader again, couldn't connect, got to try twice. While it was in run it cycled every service message it has before it passed out again. Pretty sure it's the pcm, it's had symptoms of a slow death since I got it almost 2 years ago - multiple misfire which was ok and no code after restart, start stop service temporarily unavailable, 4wd systems temporarily unavailable, it ate the factory battery with high drain but was ok with a new one, service shifter which was fine after restart, service airbags a couple times... all that minor symptoms stuff. I'll know for sure next week.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I hooked the battery up this morning to try to get the windows closed for rain, was hooked up for about an hour, smells like electric tape more than coolant (minor radiator leak, "if it's not leaking, it's empty" jeep thing), got myself hoping for irreparable rodent damage.... insurance would cover all that

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just got a multimeter, pcm hasn't landed yet. Now I can dig through all the things.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Could the cherokee literally be throwing all the codes, and shutting down for hours and days if the transmission fluid is low? Looks like someone loosened the hose fittings for the cooler lines on purpose (probably just rattled loose, it does go off the pavement daily... when it decides to work properly) ... definitely some leaking but not sure how much, I look under it every week, the belly pan catches everything and it's only got evidence of a little bit. (And that check/fill plug is a nightmare, another one under the battery tray)

Registered
You are unplugging the Battery sensor before disconnecting the negative terminal (and plugging it back in after connecting it), aren't you?

Reactions: Flybynightcru

Registered
You are unplugging the Battery sensor before disconnecting the negative terminal (and plugging it back in after connecting it), aren't you?
I doubt it...馃槑

1 - 20 of 46 Posts