2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Cherokee latitude
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Really far out question.
thoughts on 3.6l v6 pentastar swapping? Would the 9spd bolt directly on and are the motor. And are the mounts similar?
I know the 3.6l pentastars can be unreliable, but you can turbo/supercharge them.

"Buy a sports car" i dont care, it's just a thought.

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
1,089 Posts
Really far out question.
thoughts on 3.6l v6 pentastar swapping? Would the 9spd bolt directly on and are the motor mounts similar?
I know the 3.6l pentastars can be unreliable, but you can turbo/supercharge them.

"Buy a sports car" i dont care, it's just a thought.
Would it physically fit, probably? The dimensions are the same. The problem you will run into is the tuning. The ECM and TCM are locked (Hardware locked). You can have it unlocked on some models, but its not cheap. Someone on here tried to turbo the 2.4l. Technically it worked, but they spend thousands, never figured out the reliability issues, and never made more power than the stock 3.2L. If you are going to go through the work and cost of an engine swap, might as well pick something with better power. Also, as far as the 3.2 vs the 3.6 reliability, its the same as they are basically the same engine.

Reactions: Woodro

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Cherokee latitude
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would it physically fit, probably? The dimensions are the same. The problem you will run into is the tuning. The ECM and TCM are locked (Hardware locked). You can have it unlocked on some models, but its not cheap. Someone on here tried to turbo the 2.4l. Technically it worked, but they spend thousands, never figured out the reliability issues, and never made more power than the stock 3.2L. If you are going to go through the work and cost of an engine swap, might as well pick something with better power. Also, as far as the 3.2 vs the 3.6 reliability, its the same as they are basically the same engine.
I was just thinking abt the ease of having the same engine platform. I already have all the hp tuners stuff and credits. I'm already in the money pit😂😂 dig me further.

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
1,089 Posts
I was just thinking abt the ease of having the same engine platform. I already have all the hp tuners stuff and credits. I'm already in the money pit😂😂 dig me further.
The HP tuners won't work until you physically send off the ECU to have it unlocked, or purchase a new ECU that has already been unlocked. Then you can use HP tuners. @Tyler-98-W68 has had his 2014 3.2L tuned. There is more from that engine, and much more you can do to improve the transmission, but he would know the details. There are also hard limits in the transmission at 300 lbs I believe. I have not seen where anyone was able to get force injection system running on a KL that did not already have it.

Reactions: Leems

·
Banned
4,607 Posts
An engine swap is a massive waste of money....for what,

295hp/262tq vs 271hp/239tq

I was easily 320hp/270tq with bolt ons and tuning from my 3.2 The factory tune on a 3.2 is slightly more aggressive than 3.6's

Take the money you saved not swapping the engine, Get a CAI, PUG manifold, and tune the TCM and PCM and be faster and farther ahead financially than doing an engine swap, its literally the same engine block.

Search my name i've very clearly laid out how to do it.

Also the 3.6 is no more unreliable than the 3.2

Reactions: MikeR.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts