2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
4,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
had a check engine light for a cpl days. took it in thinking it might be an emissions situation. turned out to be an oil pressure sensor, altho the word switch also appears on my paperwork. regardless, the light is off. I'll test it with 450 highway miles in a cpl hours
Font Rectangle Material property Parallel Screenshot

· Registered
4,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would check the valley under the intake and see if the oil filter adapter is leaking. Idk if intake has to be removed to replace switch or not. if does may as well do spark plugs
did the spark plugs a few thousand miles ago. I'm at 195K now

· Registered
4,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, the good news is that that part number indeed shows an oil pressure sensor. They probably just have the description wrong in their billing system.
The bad news is that the genuine Mopar sensor only costs around $30 depending on where you buy it from. They gave you quite a markup there. And the average labor rate for auto repairs is about $150/hr. (some may be more, some less). $300 for an hour of labor sounds super steep to me.
Good luck on your road trip, stay safe!
thank you
they actually had the car from 8:30am-1pm so I'll bet it took more than the prescribed time
I don't feel too bad. when I went in w/o an appointment I was greeted by 2 techs, 1 who was covered head to toe in mechanics dirt including oily hands. he took it in right away & the owner who wasn't much cleaner, came out in about 15 minutes saying they would need 3 hours & gave me a loaner w/o any paperwork. unheard of at a stealership

· Registered
4,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got lucky w the 2.4 I guess the more I read the more I learn. Was also chatting w the shop owner cuz he mentioned the sixers & how some of them need replacing or lots of work. Asked if he knew about the 2.0T reliability cuz I was looking at 2019s but he was unaware & shared the usual turbo cautions

made it to NY last nite no problems & the light stayed off. Peice if mind is worth $400. I am bringing gear w me now should I get stranded road-side at night in temps in the 20sF. that time of year,eh?

freakin nite driving is a leap of faith. Just “keep it between the directional beacons” how does that song go?

the drive back north this afternoon should be a lot easier

· Registered
4,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I agree, peace of mind is worth $400, but that being said... (and not to rub it in)

It cost me $40 and ~20 minutes in the driveway, most of which was jacking the Cherokee up and down and removing then re-mounting the front passenger tire.
You just need a specific socket to remove the sensor that I found bundled with the senor itself on Amazon and an extension with u-joint for the ratchet wrench to reach the sensor itself.

I had to replace mine earlier this summer and I'm so glad I found the write up on this forum for it!
hehe gee thanks a lot :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts