2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know if there is reference in any of the manuals as to when switching modes is allowed. I was told by a obnoxious tranny tech at dealer today that I should only change modes when stopped. I thought I had read otherwise, but went through both manuals tonight and could not find any reference for either being stopped or change anytime. Just did not seem to be mentioned anywhere I could find.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
You can change between auto, snow, sport, sand/mud while normal driving....but not rock mode.

Reactions: UN4GTBL and EcoHawk

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds logical that you can change while driving and manual certainly does not warn against it, but would love to find someplace official that said it was ok to take to dealer for show and tell.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
The computer is actually smart enough not to allow you to switch into those modes that you can not change too without stopping. I have overshot a couple of times when driving and it tells you it can't.

Now to switch between high and low range you need to be going less than 3 MPH. It actually helps to be rolling just slightly to facilitate the change.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
The computer is actually smart enough not to allow you to switch into those modes that you can not change too without stopping. I have overshot a couple of times when driving and it tells you it can't.

Now to switch between high and low range you need to be going less than 3 MPH. It actually helps to be rolling just slightly to facilitate the change.
I agree with the rolling, but my Jeep does not roll! I have used 4LOW dozens of times in snow and mud / sand and on grass. It does not roll. When the power stops, so does the Jeep. So I always do it in N, and let my foot off the brake. Then push the brake back in and put it in D or R, and slowly take my foot off the brake. I hear the clicks and such, then easy on my way I go.

And I would not want to change into Sand / Mud above about 10 MPH. Because it holds the gears so much higher than other settings. I am sure it can be done, but in my field testing that is my max speed.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I switched from Auto to Sand/Mud today on a gravel road going about 20-25 mph without any problem. I switch from Auto to Snow or Sport at up to highway speeds too.

I can't believe a tranny tech told you that you have to be stopped first. On second thought, based upon the low performance I've seen from my dealership I can believe it.

Reactions: E-man

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I switched from Auto to Sand/Mud today on a gravel road going about 20-25 mph without any problem. I switch from Auto to Snow or Sport at up to highway speeds too.

I can't believe a tranny tech told you that you have to be stopped first. On second thought, based upon the low performance I've seen from my dealership I can believe it.
It was the same guy that told me I should never use ERS. Said I was going to tear something up doing that.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Never, huh? The manual actually recommends it under certain conditions:

When frequent transmission shifting occurs (such as when operating the vehicle under heavy loading condi- tions, in hilly terrain, traveling into strong head winds, or while towing heavy trailers), use the Electronic Range Select (ERS) shift control (refer to 'Electronic Range Select (ERS) Operation' in this section) to select a lower gear range. Under these conditions, using a lower gear range will improve performance and extend transmission life by reducing excessive shifting and heat buildup

If you can get a second opinion for your colonoscopy I guess you can for your car!

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've switched on the fly to Snow and Sport modes many times at highway speeds in the mountains and have never had an issue. As for Sand/Mud, I've only switched to that at low speeds (or stopped), probably 10-15 mph. Then again, I don't think you will likely be traveling at highway speeds through sand and/or mud requiring an on the fly switch in the first place...at least I wouldn't be.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
You can switch on the fly. It's only changing the programming, nothing mechanical.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Switch on the fly! The computer has no problems handling it.

And on a related note:
I found out the other day what happens if you shift from drive to reverse, while still moving. Nothing! The computer handled that one too and didn't physically change any gears until the speed had dropped.

This happened with my 16yo daughter driving. A little nervous as she learns to drive, she was moving forward at probably 5-10mph when she shifted it into reverse before coming to a stop. Scared me to death, but not even a clunk or thud from the tranny. It just waited till the time was right then shifted.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Looking forward to changing mine into sport tomorrow after work for trail ride.
when I change my 2014 trailhawk into sport mode, assuming I am just in “D,” and not using the ERS (electronic range selection/pseudo manual shift), my tachometers revs immediately go to like 4000rpm and stays there for an unnecessary amount of time (like I am cursing at 40mph for example), and when it does shift, it seems to always rev all the way north of 4000rpm before shifting, even if I barely have my foot on the throttle pedal. So in this particular scenario the car would just slowly rev up to 4000+ rpm and then shift, and if I never go faster than for example 3rd gear at 4000rpm, then it just holds 3rd gear at high rpm’s, even when cruising at city speeds for over a mile.

is this normal? I feel the sport mode changed after I did a uconnect factory settings erase and restore, however It could be total coincidence. I have not seen the dealer in like 2 years. The last time I did see them, they did all the tsb updated and tcm updates or whatever, making my car to never naturally use the 2nd gear anymore — making the car forever lame and gimped when driving where there are stop signs present (every day occurrence).

Is my sport mode normal? Does yours do this? And does it get slightly less rev happy when utilizing the manual shift modes (aka not in the “D” mode)?

·
Premium Member
4,472 Posts
U Connect has absolutely nothing to do with sport mode which is tied to the PCM (engine) and TCM (transmission).
Sport mode changes shift points, meaning it holds gears longer with less throttle input vs quickly upshifting like the other modes. Sport mode also makes the gas pedal more sensitive.

When you use ERS the vehicle will hold the current gear until the vehicle bounces off the rev limiter.

So long story short your vehicle is acting completely normal

1 - 20 of 20 Posts