2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
12,515 Posts
Yes, it is! It was having a problem starting recently.
Ok... with a flashing odometer, you need what is called a proxy alignment. That's fancy for computer reset (kinda), and this needs to be done at a dealership... It can be done at home, but you need a few things including a rather complex program that requires knowledge to run. You also need a tool that plugs into the car's OBDII port, to be able to use the program. The majority of us will get the proxy alignment done at a dealership. The goal is to allow different key electronics of the Jeep to talk to each other again.

·
Registered
12,515 Posts
Thank you! I will call tomorrow to see about getting one done. Do you know if they are expensive and how long it takes to have one completed?
Good. As far as price, I have no idea... sorry. It's not a long procedure. @MikeR. has done a few at home with the special program (AlfaOBD), so I'm sure he knows how long it takes. Maybe he'll spot this thread.
Just ask them (dealership) upfront how much it is, they'll realize you know something many don't and hopefully they'll do it for a fair price. I would guess $100-ish... They use their wiTECH machine for this.

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
1,154 Posts
From what I've read in here, they generally charge about 180ish. I can do it in about 5 to 10 minutes, then I let it sit for 15 to 30 minutes (30 is when the computer fininally goes to sleep). Sometimes it needs to go to sleep, sometimes not. However, if there is an issue with the actual module, it will need to be fixed before it will successfully complete the alignment. Sometimes a battery on its way out will cause it though and just needs a reset. The proxy alignment basically tells the computer what modules are in the vehicle.

·
Registered
62 Posts
my god... this makes me glad i bought maxcare..... .

Love the vehicle, but they are finicky...

21 - 30 of 30 Posts