2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a 2014 jeep Cherokee limited..has no CD player..I know you can get a portable one and plug it in the usb port..which player is best for my jeep..pls post the link to them also..thank you

·
Registered
11,337 Posts
Just purchased a 2014 jeep Cherokee limited..has no CD player..I know you can get a portable one and plug it in the usb port..which player is best for my jeep..pls post the link to them also..thank you
Hi,

I tried with an external CD/DVD drive, couldn't get it to work (I have a 2015). I believe the only thing that might work (if you absolutely want/need to play CDs) is one of those Diskman type portable players which have their own DAC and amp and hook it up to the Jeep via audio jack (3.5mm - earphone jack).

Edit to add : just found something on Amazon Canada. A modern version of the Diskman, with bluetooth + USB + 3.5mm outputs, This should work :

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
5,889 Posts
What's a cd?

Haha, just kidding, I'm getting old :cautious:
Now, if they were only ever able to make this work...I love my vinyl!!! I'm really old school...LOL!!!😎

·
Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav
1,995 Posts
Now, if they were only ever able to make this work...I love my vinyl!!! I'm really old school...LOL!!!😎
Car Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

But a Linear Tracking one would probably ride better in Moab... 😁

·
Registered
138 Posts
i've caught wind of something called 8 track. i think it's a tape media. Ha! never fly.
lol... I listened to a couple of 8-tracks last night. Angel - White Hot and Doobie Brothers - Best Of The Doobie Brothers.

I forgot how good Angel was. I played it twice and the deck didn't eat the tape. lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
This owner has a legitimate question and some of you treat it as a JOKE - SHAME ON YOU -

Originally, the 2014 Cherokee had an optional single disc CD player that was supposed to mount in the lower center console - however, my dealer could never find it to order one - and looking at pictures, it would have been in a VERY inconvenient location since you would have to raise both center console lids to operate it and to change the single CD

I know it's inconvenient BUT I just use a battery-operated CD and dual male 3 section patch cord using the headphone output on the CD into the jack on the lower panel where all of the auxiliary inputs are

I mostly use this setup with someone else in the passenger seat to hold and operate the CD unit during visits to parks (such as Gettysburg, Antietam, etc.) to play audio tour CDs

Maybe try Ebay or Amazon to find an original unit - but as I said, I think that would be very inconvenient to use

·
Registered
11,337 Posts
This owner has a legitimate question and some of you treat it as a JOKE - SHAME ON YOU -

Originally, the 2014 Cherokee had an optional single disc CD player that was supposed to mount in the lower center console - however, my dealer could never find it to order one - and looking at pictures, it would have been in a VERY inconvenient location since you would have to raise both center console lids to operate it and to change the single CD

I know it's inconvenient BUT I just use a battery-operated CD and dual male 3 section patch cord using the headphone output on the CD into the jack on the lower panel where all of the auxiliary inputs are

I mostly use this setup with someone else in the passenger seat to hold and operate the CD unit during visits to parks (such as Gettysburg, Antietam, etc.) to play audio tour CDs

Maybe try Ebay or Amazon to find an original unit - but as I said, I think that would be very inconvenient to use
Oh lighten up. And welcome to the forum ;)

Reactions: ArizonaFred

·
Registered
442 Posts
I was on that bandwagon also with both CDs and DVD/Blu-ray. I had hundreds of movies on disc, and probably thousands of albums on CD. And I swore that I would never let them go. But it got to the point with both where it was much simpler to carry them all around in my pocket and access them with the magical rectangle of knowledge.

With the magical rectangle of knowledge, I have instant access to over 75 million songs in HD (CD quality) and over 7 million in UHD (up to 24-bit, 192 kHz) using Amazon Music Unlimited. I always have the latest releases without having to go to the store, and I don't have to worry about storing/scratching/losing a CD. Just speak into the air and the magical rectangle of knowledge will play music to your heart's content.

Once I started, it was SO simple to just chuck all those old discs in the trash. It was surprisingly satisfying, and I never lost sleep over it.

·
Registered
11,337 Posts
I was on that bandwagon also with both CDs and DVD/Blu-ray. I had hundreds of movies on disc, and probably thousands of albums on CD. And I swore that I would never let them go. But it got to the point with both where it was much simpler to carry them all around in my pocket and access them with the magical rectangle of knowledge.

With the magical rectangle of knowledge, I have instant access to over 75 million songs in HD (CD quality) and over 7 million in UHD (up to 24-bit, 192 kHz) using Amazon Music Unlimited. I always have the latest releases without having to go to the store, and I don't have to worry about storing/scratching/losing a CD. Just speak into the air and the magical rectangle of knowledge will play music to your heart's content.

Once I started, it was SO simple to just chuck all those old discs in the trash. It was surprisingly satisfying, and I never lost sleep over it.
I only have a few hundred CDs... and a few hundred vinyls.. but considering how much I paid for them, I'm not at the point where I'm ready to toss them out. Crazy how much money those industries made back then.

Reactions: techguyga

·
Registered
442 Posts
I only have a few hundred CDs... and a few hundred vinyls.. but considering how much I paid for them, I'm not at the point where I'm ready to toss them out. Crazy how much money those industries made back then.
I know! As a youngster, I remember going to Turtle's Records and Tapes almost every Friday afternoon when I got paid. I'd buy whatever album was new, or when CD's came along, whatever was available and that I liked. I resisted for a long time because of all the money I'd spent, but the day came where it was just time to part with them all. I thought about trying to sell/trade/whatever them on Ebay or locally, but I decided it was just too much of a hassle. I thought I would be upset when I trashed them all, but like I said, it didn't really hurt me at all.

Reactions: Mark_

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I had perhaps 1000 CDs and countless vinyl, spent days burning all the CDs to lossless, retagging all the metadata, backing up to multiple drives for redundancy, then donated the CDs >> tax deduction! :cool:
Most of my old vinyl was 'permanently borrowed' by a college roommate, down to about 50. :mad:

• Wow
Reactions: Mark_

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
5,889 Posts

Exactly!!! Enormous PITA!!! Way easier to steam from your phone, or put about 5000 of your favorite songs on a thumbdrive. It's super easy, and mostly hands free...😎

·
Registered
1,995 Posts

Revere the magical rectangle of knowledge (more of a beveled cuboid, but that doesn't go over well in conversation, so rectangle it is), don't know what I'll do when I finally have to get one without an MicroSD slot.. Add to that Amazon Music, I have access to even the stuff that I didn't want to buy, and stuff that wasn't even sold in the states!
I have an Echo Auto hooked up in the Jeep, since Android Auto/Amazon Music is horrid at requesting a song. :cool:

·
Registered
2015 Cherokee Trailhawk
892 Posts
I have a 2015 and it came with the factory CD player in the center console and I use it nearly every day. Since we have four places to play CD's (both homes with TEAC CD players, my wife's Golf ES and my Jeep), I've ripped countless CD's onto two MacBooks to create playlists and then burn my own discs at 44.1kHz/16 bit and they sound every bit as good as vinyl and I'm using as much of the 80 minutes as possible. I purchased or owned some CD's, borrowed some and found some good ones at libraries. I was tired of compressed music, especially with the sound system upgrades.

Knowing what I do now, if I didn't have the player, I would either buy one new, locate an owner who would part with theirs or a salvage yard (best bet, likely) and install it. There must be a firmware program that would allow integration into the vehicle.

It's not for everyone, but I'm not everyone.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
You should be able to retrofit the cd to the older uConnect systems (that are capable), I don't believe it is possible on the 2019+ though...
Found this: Chrysler Group Remote Add-on CD Player
Looks like on the '14-'18 KL, some dealer programming is necessary (the only one in the list that does)

Reactions: Leems
1 - 19 of 19 Posts