2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm goin on a 900+ mile trip. Im gonna get a cheap Cobra CB. Not sure how to store it. I don't really want to mount it, not that there's really anywhere to do so anyways. The new CBs are fairly small, not all of them are big as they used to be. I thought about the storage under the passenger seat, but I don't want the coax getting damaged. Y'all got any ideas? (It's a '14 Cherokee TH)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am also looking at installing a cb. I have a nice Stryker SR-89MC converted to cb band that will be easy to install up front as all the controls/speaker/mic are in the handset. My issue is the antenna. I do not want a magnet and don't want to drill holes in the body so I'm kinda stumped. I have a door jam mount in the hatch from my previous SUV that looked good but the 2019 Cherokee has minimal clearance between hatch and body and would have to be mounted to plastic. Don't mean to hijack your discussion but thought maybe we could both find help.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I use a hood mounting bracket for led lights Installed on the rear hatch..

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Help me into the 21st Century.
I have a CB permanently installed in my 24 year old Oldsmobile that I used a lot in the 20th Century.
I have a hand held CB and a semi permanently installed GMRS radio in my TH for when I go on trail rides with the guys.
I have never heard anybody talk on either one on the highways or especially the Interstates.
What am I missing. Do the truckers still use CB channel 19?
Does anybody use GMRS.
What channel is everybody on?
The only thing that works for traffic reports in my area is WTOP FM radio.
A magnet mounted roof antenna seems to be essential.
I just jamb the GMRS radio between the passenger seat cushion and the center console and get 12V from the center console.
I just lay the handheld CB in the passenger seat.
When you go on your trips take notes and get me into the New World.
In MD we still have 'stay at home orders' so I won't be going anywhere for awhile.

·
Super Moderator
4,157 Posts
I am also looking at installing a cb. I have a nice Stryker SR-89MC converted to cb band that will be easy to install up front as all the controls/speaker/mic are in the handset. My issue is the antenna. I do not want a magnet and don't want to drill holes in the body so I'm kinda stumped. I have a door jam mount in the hatch from my previous SUV that looked good but the 2019 Cherokee has minimal clearance between hatch and body and would have to be mounted to plastic. Don't mean to hijack your discussion but thought maybe we could both find help.
Please don't use that on cb frequencies. It's entirely too powerful to be transmitting over those frequencies. You're going to be bleeding all over the place. CB is already a nuclear wasteland, don't add to the problem.

Sent from my HD1925 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
364 Posts
ern3, Do you have any pics of your mount please and thanks.
Don't have it on now... I only put it on when off-roading or traveling.

·
Super Moderator
4,157 Posts
Help me into the 21st Century.
I have a CB permanently installed in my 24 year old Oldsmobile that I used a lot in the 20th Century.
I have a hand held CB and a semi permanently installed GMRS radio in my TH for when I go on trail rides with the guys.
I have never heard anybody talk on either one on the highways or especially the Interstates.
What am I missing. Do the truckers still use CB channel 19?
Does anybody use GMRS.
What channel is everybody on?
The only thing that works for traffic reports in my area is WTOP FM radio.
A magnet mounted roof antenna seems to be essential.
I just jamb the GMRS radio between the passenger seat cushion and the center console and get 12V from the center console.
I just lay the handheld CB in the passenger seat.
When you go on your trips take notes and get me into the New World.
In MD we still have 'stay at home orders' so I won't be going anywhere for awhile.
I'd wager it's your install and antenna sizes. Some truckers still stick to CB, but it seems that a lot have moved in the VHF and UHF radios.

I have a CB in my Wranger (was in my KL) that I can pick up things less than a mile away. I'm only using a 3 foot firestick.

I have a commerical GMRS radio sitting on my table to be installed. Going with a 49" whip for the CB and 39" for the GMRS. Should get me a couple miles in all directions.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Please don't use that on cb frequencies. It's entirely too powerful to be transmitting over those frequencies. You're going to be bleeding all over the place. CB is already a nuclear wasteland, don't add to the problem.

Funniest thing I saw today.. Thanks.

You know fools out there running 500w dirty ass boots....

·
Super Moderator
4,157 Posts

Funniest thing I saw today.. Thanks.

You know fools out there running 500w dirty ass boots....

The excuse that others are worse are still just excuses.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
CB is quieter than ever before. ch 19 for the highway, 9 for emergencies. a radio is usekess if it's not installed & correctly. I like being able to flip 1 switch to get it on. if it's not that easy, something's wrong. if you don't test the swr it's not installed. I still get & share info on 19, just did a one day, 400 mile, round tripper, from MA to NY just north of the city & found the radio useful coming & going. there's a lot more traffic now, so be careful out there. lots of nutz on the highways :eek:

fwiw I power mine from the console acc. port & use a big ole mag mount w/ a 36" whip (wired out the back hatch) w/ perfect 1.0 swr reading. also has the weather radio. easy on / easy off for car washes

good luck with your installs, don't rush it :coffee:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts