2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Olive Green 2020 Cherokee Trailhawk
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone experience any issues with ditch lights (A pillar pods) being damaged in automatic car washes? And before anyone says "oh I don't use automatic car washes, it damages my paint", I have horrible knee and hip issues, so its not like I can stand and move around well in those DIY wash bays馃槀

Just want to know if there is really any huge risk damaging the ditch light setup or if I will just have to take a few pain killers before washing all this mud off

Registered
There are many places on FB and Craigslist that will come to your home and wash your Jeep. Not sure where you reside. But here in AZ it's not too expensive.. And some have weekly or monthly plans. Just a thought..

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Flybynightcru

Registered
Usually detail myself, but in a pinch I use touchless wash, doesn't hurt lights

Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
I'm going to say yes, the chance is there for problems. Mine will occasionally flip the mirrors forward with the side spinners...馃槑

Registered
If your referring to the puddle lights under the mirrors they are sealed pretty well and do not seem affected by high pressure water. Just fold your mirrors in which you should be doing anyways to avoid damage to the mirrors. But yeah as others I detail at home usually but have used a car wash pressure wand a few times when on vacation with no issues. Auto car wash should be no issue so long as a well maintained place with good equipment. But yeah they are tough on paint if used often.

Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
If your referring to the puddle lights under the mirrors they are sealed pretty well and do not seem affected by high pressure water. Just fold your mirrors in which you should be doing anyways to avoid damage to the mirrors. But yeah as others I detail at home usually but have used a car wash pressure wand a few times when on vacation with no issues. Auto car wash should be no issue so long as a well maintained place with good equipment. But yeah they are tough on paint if used often.
I think he's talking about pods mounted on the back corners of the hood...馃槑

Registered
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
I've never had issues and I've been using automatic car washes 2+ times per week for the past year. Just make sure you use a good car wash. Its not touchless, and I have 0 scratches or swirls from the wash. Even after covering it in mud while off-roading (can't escape it in FL), I just pressure wash off what I can, and run it straight through and comes out looking like new.

Registered
do you have a touchless car wash near you? the kind where the machine moves around the car w/o any brushes? I have one near me I use. first I do my own wheels w/ a bucket of washer fluid & a drop of dish soap & a soft long handled brush, then I might do the back hatch & under the rear air foil/fin w/ windex & paper towel. then I go in the car wash. mostly in the winter but also after beach rides in the summer. do the ditch lights have a quick release? we have an old fashioned car wash w/ the big knarly brushes that I only rarely use. even that thing does a crummy job on the back hatch & never gets under the rear air foil/fin or whatever it's called

Registered
with all that being said. Have you thought of masking therm removable? A weatherproof disconnect and an Allen wrench worked for me. I just reinstall them when I need them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts